FAQs and How To's Handy FAQs/How To Guides for installing/configuring Mac OS X.

(#1) Old
Unhappy Need help getting wake from sleep to work... - 07-30-2009, 03:32 AM

Hello everyone,
I just got my a90 and I love it. Installed osx without a hitch, updated, got all my programs...
but whenever it goes to sleep, it wont wake up (consistently) at least.

I searched and found mixed results, some people swear by usb legacy support on, others say it needs to be off.

I have tried every possible combination of usb legacy support on/off, usb wake support on/off, and bluetooth on/off. I even tried setting my energy saver preferences to "never sleep" and that seemed to work for awhile, but then not.

i just get a black screen. when it does wake up (30% of the time maybe) it does so by pressing the power button, its the only button that will work.

the only foolproof way ive had yet is if it is running on battery and wont wake up, plug it in and it will- and vice versa (unplug from power to wake if it was plugged in when it went to sleep) I also have gotten a message saying "running on reserve battery power" when using this workaround, even though i have plenty of battery left. Are all these problems somehow connected? (edit: this workaround has stopped working

can anyone help to point me in the right direction? i bought this mini to be used "on the go" as a companion to my MBP, without sleep (or at least not having to reboot every time i shut it" it's not really that usefull to me.

thanks so much for help

dell vostro a90
2gb ddr2 800mhz corsair
16gb ssd
osx10.5 disc used to install (edit:via EFI 1.2a5 method)--->updated to 10.5.7
(also is there any way to use BT without toggling it in the BIOS? if its on, i cant turn it off from osx? is this normal?)

edit-i also forgot to mention i have smartsleep installed and set to "sleep only"

plz help
thanks so mcuh for any help on this!
  (#2) Old
Default 07-30-2009, 05:53 AM

ok, if I unplug while sleeping, the batt led starts blinking, and then I can wake it up. but only sometimes.... guh
  (#3) Old
Default 07-30-2009, 03:11 PM

i am also looking to sign up for dropbox so if someone wants a referral just help me figure this out and ill sign up through your link!
  (#4) Old
Send a message via AIM to atm153 Send a message via Skype™ to atm153
Default 07-30-2009, 07:04 PM

I'd get rid of smartsleep, I have no trouble without it on my A90 with the EXACT same specs, even down to the crucial memory. If you disable hibernation in DellEFI, you shouldn't even need to worry about smartsleep. Hibernation doesn't even work on the A90 anyway. If this helps, please use my Dropbox link
  (#5) Old
Default 07-30-2009, 07:59 PM

Nope, no dice
if it does not want to wake from sleep, I unplug it, and the power led starts blinking slowly, then i can wake it up.

Please help!
  (#6) Old
Default 07-31-2009, 02:50 PM

come on guys... throw me a bone here. lol

when it seems stuck and plugging it in allows the led to start blinking and thus wake from sleep, a message displays on the screen saying:

"Warning-you are running on reserve battery power-please plug into ac immediately or the computer will sleep blah blah blah"

so does this help at all? I feel like I should reset the SMC only i don't have one because this is my first mac that's not really a mac.

any ideas?
  (#7) Old
Default 07-31-2009, 03:25 PM

no thanks to any of you! lol
juuuuuust kidding
I stumbled accross this little miracle of a post can't create dsdt.aml file...

and the very last post says to run DellEFI again with "easy install" selected and BAM viloa! my light blinks as soon as I shut the lid, or choose sleep from the menu! and one tap of the power button wakes it up!
I'm so happy

Ok-now when I restart it just sits there with the LED on and the screen off...lol
o well sleep>restart
  (#8) Old
Expert Member
Default 07-31-2009, 07:05 PM

That would have been my suggestion, USB legacy off/BT On (assuming you have BT). Then run DellEFI, custom, remove dstl then reboot run DellEFI again, custom, make dstl file reboot a 2nd time and you should be all set.

And that's basically what you did

Glad to hear you got it working.

Mini1: Vostro A90, Black, 2G, 1.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 64G SuperTalent, OS X 10.6.4
Mini2: Mini9, Black, 2G, 0.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 32G RunCore, OS X/Win 7, internal PCI-e SHDC Reader
Mini3: Mini10v. Black, 2G, Webcam, 640G HD, OS X 10.5.8/Win 7/Ubuntu [Hibernate w/NBI 0.8.3 RC4]
Dropbox Referral
  (#9) Old
Default 08-03-2009, 09:17 PM

um, same prob, won't wake; reran Dell EFI and it worked EXCEPT wifi didn't reconnect and then BT failed and then the cursor in the menu bar produced the spinning beachball of non-responsiveness. I could use programs just couldn't access the net... Reran dell efi again - yippee followed by slow crumble, same as before... hibernate's disabled, USB legacy is off as is USB wake. Dunno...

Mini 9| 2Gb RAM | 32Gb Kingspec | OS X 10.6.8 | 16Gb SDHC | webcam | BT | Wifi | NBI 0.8.4
MacBook Pro (Late 2007) | OSX 10.10.4
  (#10) Old
Default 08-03-2009, 09:23 PM

I have BT disabled, maybe that makes a difference? only because I couldnt figure out how to turn it off except thru the BIOS, and I love battery life more than BT...

a90, osx, wake

« Enabling Time Machine backups to a Windows or Samba share | Any recommendations for improving battery life? »