External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#11) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to MoInSTL Send a message via MSN to MoInSTL Send a message via Yahoo to MoInSTL
Default 06-11-2009, 05:57 PM

Steve, which model is it?

Amazon.com: netgear readynas duo

Studio 15 1558| Black Chainlink| i5-520M, |4GB RAM |500 GB HD@7200 |ATI HD 4570, 512K|Backlit|9 Cell|Web Cam|Windows 7 Professional x64
  (#12) Old

Default 06-11-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
One thing I like about the NAS I have is that it also provides an iTunes server, DLNA-compliant media server and BitTorrent client. It is also a RAID box with hot-swappable and individually upgradeable drives, automatically taking advantage of added capacity.
My Iomega has the iTunes server too and it is really nice. After reading everyone's posts and the articles that were linked (thanks again for sharing!), I'm leaning towards something that has at least 2 drives that can be swapped out individually - that would be very helpful in case I have another failure in the future or need more space. Now I just need to decide whether to buy something off the shelf or try to build one myself. I've helped my dad build/upgrade computers in the past, but I've never done it myself. I guess I could wait until the next time I go home and get him to help me, but I kind of want to start working on it now since I have some free time. Decisions, decisions!
  (#13) Old
Administrator

Default 06-11-2009, 09:06 PM

Mine is the Netgear ReadyNAS NV+, an older model that takes four disks. The Duo is a newer and less expensive model with two disks, but a similar feature set.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#14) Old

Default 06-12-2009, 01:13 AM

If you have more than two PC's in the house, you might look at Windows Home Server. HP sells some very small Media Servers running WHS. I built one out of leftover parts, and a couple of drives, one of them a 1.5 TB drive. It backs up all of my PC's, and restores effortlessly from a boot CD. Allows remote access to the server files and can Remote Desktop any of my PC's on my home LAN. It was easy enough to install that my Mom could do it. My config doesn't use much electricity, as I chose the cpu and power supply carefully. The HP ones are nice if you don't want to build your own. Google a bit about it. You can DL a 120 day free version to see if it does what you want, the real version is $90 at Newegg.

Amazon.com: HP EX485 MediaSmart Home Server: Computers & PC Hardware
  (#15) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to MoInSTL Send a message via MSN to MoInSTL Send a message via Yahoo to MoInSTL
Default 06-12-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauriem04 View Post
My Iomega has the iTunes server too and it is really nice. After reading everyone's posts and the articles that were linked (thanks again for sharing!), I'm leaning towards something that has at least 2 drives that can be swapped out individually - that would be very helpful in case I have another failure in the future or need more space. Now I just need to decide whether to buy something off the shelf or try to build one myself. I've helped my dad build/upgrade computers in the past, but I've never done it myself. I guess I could wait until the next time I go home and get him to help me, but I kind of want to start working on it now since I have some free time. Decisions, decisions!
Go for it! You may get something off Craigs List if you are not in a hurry. The only thing is you'd have to really spec it out.

The link with all the parts already picked in jej.514's post is helpful. The power supply is the only thing that takes time to hook up and route the cables nicely. Other than that, drives are easy to pop in, RAM is simple, can only install motherboard one way, etc.

Studio 15 1558| Black Chainlink| i5-520M, |4GB RAM |500 GB HD@7200 |ATI HD 4570, 512K|Backlit|9 Cell|Web Cam|Windows 7 Professional x64
  (#16) Old

Default 06-12-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoInSTL View Post
Go for it! You may get something off Craigs List if you are not in a hurry. The only thing is you'd have to really spec it out.

The link with all the parts already picked in jej.514's post is helpful. The power supply is the only thing that takes time to hook up and route the cables nicely. Other than that, drives are easy to pop in, RAM is simple, can only install motherboard one way, etc.
Thanks! Craigslist is a good thought, at least for a case and some other basic parts. My self-imposed deadline is the end of August, just because that's when my grad classes start back up. That should give me plenty of time - I hope!
  (#17) Old
Guru

Default 09-25-2009, 02:34 PM

I hate to revive an old thread, but here goes .

I ended up buying a Intel SS4200-E server from newegg on closeout. As I expected, the lack of easy video or serial console out cause problems troubleshooting, but once you get it working, it works well. It's reasonably quiet and power efficient (about 40W under light use).

Now, I need to swap netbooks to take advantage of the fileserver's speed. Anyone want to trade my base Mini 9 for a loaded Latitude 2100 with Gigabit Ethernet, a fast SSD, touchscreen, etc.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#18) Old

Default 09-29-2009, 10:19 PM

I recently picked up an Acer Aspire easystore H340 which runs Windows Home Server. It comes with 1 terabyte drive and you can add up to 3 additional SATA drives to expand it. It does not support RAID but it does help protect valuable files through the duplication feature which stores copies on separate hard drives. It can do automated backups, share files and folders, and allow you to easily access your home files and computers across your network and from the internet. Cheapest I have seen them on sale recently is $269. You can also buy just the OS (~$100) and recycle an older PC to perform as your home server, just make sure the hardware is up to snuff so you don't start out with problems.

« Mr brightside.... small,USB LED keyboard illuminator | Mini 9 Bag »