External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#11) Old

Default Re: Car power adapter for the Mini 9 - 01-08-2009, 01:37 PM

The mini will only use the current it needs. You can't push current, the device needs to draw it. So having the capability for 200W isn't an issue.

Everything's Blue, Everything's Blue In This World, All Fuzzy, Spilling Out Of My Head.
  (#12) Old

Send a message via Yahoo to Dr Some-what Evil
Default Re: Car power adapter for the Mini 9 - 01-08-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heed
The mini will only use the current it needs. You can't push current, the device needs to draw it. So having the capability for 200W isn't an issue.
Your right, it isn't the issue, I was simply pointing out that instead of buying a DC/DC adapter and having it either smoke your system or ruin the charger input....maybe both. I was suggesting you could still use your regular adapter that came with the mini and plug it into a DC/AC adapter. My adapter is designed for a maximum of 150 watts and has not caused any problems what-so-ever since I bought it several years ago. The thought of having extra power to use a external optical drive,hard drive or whatever is interesting to me. But since my adapter only has one outlet and limited output, I'll stick with single devices until I buy a better adapter.

I guess one could go to great lengths and expense to build one to suit their needs from components available to end up with the correct voltage and amps the mini requires. Not something I would attempt but perhaps someone with more knowledge of components might.

Mini-9
STEC 8 gig SSD
RAM 2Gig 800Mhz.
WWAN parts in place
Fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
Gigabyte b,g & n WiFi card that works
Sony DVD ROM/CD burner in slimline external case
Planned upgrades; 16 gig STEC SSD, Internal Bluetooth and Black Lid
  (#13) Old

Default Re: Car power adapter for the Mini 9 - 01-17-2009, 01:24 PM

So if I'm understanding this correctly, the lesson here is to use Dell's own expensive AC adapter and simply use a DC to AC power inverter that plugs into your car cigarette lighter/12V port in your car, and don't mess around with anything else for the time being that connects directly to your Mini 9, until a few brave souls try some new 3-rd party device that isn't out yet, right?

Thanks

ALwaysCOnnected
  (#14) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Car power adapter for the Mini 9 - 01-17-2009, 02:05 PM

No. There are many third-party auto power adapters that will work with the Mini. Targus, Kensington and iGo are just three of the brands that come to mind. These usually also will connect to airplane emPower jacks, should you be so lucky as to fly on a plane that has them. For a bit more money you can get one that will also serve as an AC adapter.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#15) Old

Default Re: Car power adapter for the Mini 9 - 01-18-2009, 04:36 AM

I rang Targus and asked about what tip I would need to plug the 70W into my mini and they said the 70W would not work with the mini. I asked why and was told the 70W was too powerfull.
  (#16) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Car power adapter for the Mini 9 - 01-18-2009, 02:27 PM

Then the person you spoke to at Targus was completely clueless. 70W is the maximum power draw available from the adapter. The Mini will draw at most 30W so a 70W adapter is just fine. No such thing as "too powerful", though it is a waste to buy a much larger adapter than needed. (Also, most adapters run inefficiently with a very small power draw relative to their capacity.)

As long as the adapter is capable of at least a 30W draw, supplies 19V (no more, no less) to the Mini and has a compatible tip, it will work.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#17) Old

Default Re: Car power adapter for the Mini 9 - 01-19-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason.sgtski
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2194429 that should do fine.
i have this and worked fine on other electronics. have not tried with mini power adapter.
  (#18) Old

Default Re: Car power adapter for the Mini 9 - 01-22-2009, 02:13 PM

Has anyone tried this car charger from eBay?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0363340740
  (#19) Old

Default Re: Car power adapter for the Mini 9 - 02-03-2009, 06:36 AM

Hi All,

I use this 12v Car Charger in my vehicle : http://www.gpsforless.co.uk/product_det ... p?id=15055
I've been using it for a few months with no issues at all.

My Dell Mini is dash mounted using the GPSForLess UK mount, which I then use with Garmin Mobile PC and Bluetooth GPS receiver as my in car GPS system when travelling - works brilliantly, much easier to see than the tiny 3.5" screens on your average GPS.

I also have XBMC installed which handles all of my in car music, output to my car's stereo headunit via AUX
Would love to stream the audio using bluetooth to do away with the cord, but don't want to upgrade my stereo just for this purpose.
  (#20) Old

Default Re: Car power adapter for the Mini 9 - 02-15-2009, 05:11 AM

I use a 400W inverter from Target (Vector brand) with my larger notebooks. The 400W is total overkill though, it has a noisy fan. The Vector inverters are good quality for a cheap price. A small one should be much cheaper than a universal power adapter.

Tyler
Dell Mini 9 | RunCore 16GB SSD | 2GB Patriot RAM | Jolicloud 1.1 |

« Leopard, USBModem, Sprint, Palm 755p tether | Adapter to use old Dell D600 laptop DVD drive on 10V? »