External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#1) Old

Default HP printer how-to XP - 05-30-2009, 03:50 PM

My girlfriend was having issues getting her mini 10 to install her HP d2330 printer. HP uses a proprietary "webpack driver setup" program to install the printer drivers, but the mini refuses to run the actual setup program, since it's vertical resolution is NOT at least 600 pixels. It's extremely annoying that they don't just have a simple self-extracting archive that contains just the drivers you need.

Anyways, to make things much easier, just use another pc that the driverpack can install on easily.

Download the driver pack from HP, install the driver pack on another system (if you haven't already done this before), and copy the contents of C:\Program Files\HP to a USB flash drive.

Plug the printer into your mini, close any prompts that XP pops up, and go to Start Menu -> Settings -> Printers and Faxes.

Click "Add a new printer" at the top right.

Click Next, Select Local Printer and Automatically detect and install, click next.

It will tell you Windows was unable to find the proper drivers, click next.

Choose install from list of specific location, click next, then next again when it lists devices.

Click Have Disk near the bottom right, browse through your flash drive to autorun.inf (it will be in HP\Digital Imaging\{lots of letters, numbers, and dashes}\)

Double click autorun.inf, and then click ok.

Sit back and let it install.

Once it's done, print a test page if you want. Enjoy printing from your mini. Hope this helps someone.
  (#2) Old

Default 05-31-2009, 02:19 AM

Fortunately, I can access my HP printer through my NAS, so I did not have this problem. However, some of the other programs I use require a minimum resolution of 800 x 600 to install, so I just changed the resolution temporarily and then changed it back after installing what I needed. I recommend not using Windows to change the resolution because you'll have trouble changing it back to 1024 x 576 when you're finished. Instead, go to Control Panel, switch to Classic View on the left, then choose Intel Ultra Mobile GMA Driver and click Display Settings on the left. The 1024 x 768 resolution makes the screen a little squished, obviously, but I could still see things well enough for the installation.
  (#3) Old

Default solution..... - 06-22-2009, 06:11 AM

Hold down left-ctrl, left-shift, and click cancel. This will acknowledge the error, but force the installation to continue.

and then continue the installation.............

« Removing/replacing DELL on bezel | recommendations for SD card brands, pro and con? »