External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#21) Old

Default Re: Game Pads/Controllers - 01-29-2009, 01:49 AM

I dig the Logitech Dual Action USB Gamepad too. I've had it for years no without any issue. And now it works great with the mini.
  (#22) Old

Default Re: Game Pads/Controllers - 01-31-2009, 08:31 AM

xbox 360 wired controller w/ xpadder

xpadder is the greatest program ever for gamepads, if you haven't checked it out yet.

allows you to make gamepad inputs to any keyboard/mouse actions
  (#23) Old

Default Re: Game Pads/Controllers - 02-01-2009, 05:06 AM

I use my ps3 controller, works great for snes roms.
  (#24) Old
Expert Member

Default Re: Game Pads/Controllers - 02-02-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendaryCheez
Hmmmm...good to know. I was thinking about buying one and I was slightly worried about the nub. I really wanted a D Pad too. There are a few controllers that are being sold on Ebay as, "SNES USB controllers." There around 20 bucks, but I think it might be worth it to drop the extra cash to have something as comfortable as that.
I had to order one of these when I saw your post. It just got around to taking the plunge last night.
The only stuff I have on my Mini 9 right now is MAME and various older Nintendo stuff, so this thing looks great.

Plus it's flatter design makes it stow easier.

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast
  (#25) Old

Send a message via AIM to LegendaryCheez
Default Re: Game Pads/Controllers - 02-03-2009, 05:45 PM

Let me know how it goes! I still haven't brought myself to doing it because I have a few 360 wired controllers, but the size, and the classic shape is definately a big plus in the SNES controllers.
  (#26) Old
Expert Member

Default Re: Game Pads/Controllers - 02-06-2009, 06:34 PM

Mine arrived yesterday.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Super-Nintendo-SNES ... 1|294%3A50
It works just fine.

The plastic has a dusty kind of quality to it that made me wipe it down with a damp paper towel, but the plastic just seems to just a have a slightly gritty texture to it. I don't know if it's made using recycled plastic or what.
It doesn't show any fingerprints and doesn't get slippery to hold for long periods of time.
Build feels slightly flimsier than an original SNES controller, but not flimsy in general.

Aside from that it's as if you handed me an SNES controller!
Response is exactly like you'd expect.

Another great thing is it's smaller size compared to the PS2-based Logitech controllers.
(I LOVE them, but for daily carrying they're just to goram bulky.)

It has occurred to me that if anything fails in this one I could probably move the guts into a real SNES controller.
If I could get one for nothing or next to nothing I'd be tempted to do it just for the geek cred.

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast
  (#27) Old

Default Re: Game Pads/Controllers - 02-06-2009, 07:10 PM

Awesome. Yeah if you look for real SNES controllers that were modded to USB, they usually run about 35 to 45 dollars. Swapping out the parts would be a good idea though.

I was thinking about trying to build one, but after looking at tutorials, you need to build a complex converter, which is way too much work. There are kits, but they run about $20, so it is a little cheaper and easier to just buy the one from ebay. I am still thinking about getting one, but I have to see how much of a pain in the neck it is to carry around that bulky 360 controller in my bag.
  (#28) Old

Default Re: Game Pads/Controllers - 02-06-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakin
xbox 360 wired controller w/ xpadder

xpadder is the greatest program ever for gamepads, if you haven't checked it out yet.

allows you to make gamepad inputs to any keyboard/mouse actions
:shock: I don't know why I didn't pick up on this before. I was having problems mapping the controls for vice city to a 360 controller. This should fix the problem! YESSSS!
  (#29) Old

Default Re: Game Pads/Controllers - 03-23-2009, 06:29 PM

I was looking for a controller/gamepad and came across this ps2/ps1 to usb adaptor.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/s ... r.64945365

looks great to use those old ps1 or ps2 controllers you have laying around. a little more bulk since you have to carry another controller but should be worth it!
  (#30) Old

Default Re: Game Pads/Controllers - 03-30-2009, 02:36 AM

Also, something I had just recently found out, there is a program for those of you that have flash cards for the Nintendo DS that allows you to use the DS as a wireless controller for a computer. I haven't done it, but I am sure it would be pretty cool.

http://www.1emulation.com/forums/index. ... opic=28860

The only thing is I dont think that it would be that useful. If you want to play emulators, you could use it and it should work well, but you can do that on the DS flashcard itself. PC games, on the other hand, I dont know how well you could map the controls without a thumbstick. I am sure it would be awesome for world of goo though. It probably drains the batteries of both electronics very quickly also.

But...it would definitely be a cool way to show off!

« belkin mini9 laptop messenger bag jet/cabernet | Silicone Skin on Mini 9 »