External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#1) Old

Send a message via AIM to eXplicit
Default Car charger? - 11-13-2008, 06:57 PM

Is there one?

(#2) Old

Default Re: Car charger? - 11-13-2008, 07:01 PM

well i don't know if they make a specific car charger but I have something similar to one of these.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6842121019

If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Car charger? - 11-15-2008, 11:47 PM

Try Igo. they make three different car chargers.

ken r
Stories by Ken
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Car charger? - 11-24-2008, 02:47 PM

Another option would be to use a universal laptop adapter. I found one on ebay that lists the mini 9 compatibility information, and was reasonably priced. Power inverters are handy, but why step up to 120v from 12v then step down to 19v?
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Car charger? - 11-25-2008, 05:24 PM

I bought a 400w inverter from target (http://www.invertersrus.com/pi400ab.html) and a sony fm transmitter which allowed me to power the dell mini the entire 1200 mile trip from Massachussetts to Tennessee and play it over the car stereo. I also used my old 80gb Ipod in disk mode and filled it with movies. Was a lifesaver with kids in the car and worked perfectly!
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Car charger? - 11-25-2008, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kionee
I bought a 400w inverter from target (http://www.invertersrus.com/pi400ab.html) and a sony fm transmitter which allowed me to power the dell mini the entire 1200 mile trip from Massachussetts to Tennessee and play it over the car stereo. I also used my old 80gb Ipod in disk mode and filled it with movies. Was a lifesaver with kids in the car and worked perfectly!
Why did you need 400w? Wouldn't the 100w have done the same thing? Or did you have to power the Ipod as well?
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Car charger? - 11-25-2008, 06:50 PM

I chose that one as it had 2 plug sockets and a usb plugin, so we could use the laptop, charge my phone and charge the kids psp/ds at the same time. I also liked it as it had a built in cooling fan and auto cutoff if it overheated.
  (#8) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Re: Car charger? - 11-28-2008, 02:49 AM

I have a 4kw inverter in my work van, but still prefer a charger that goes into the cigarette lighter and converts straight from 12v to 19v.

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Car charger? - 02-25-2009, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnaClocker
I have a 4kw inverter in my work van, but still prefer a charger that goes into the cigarette lighter and converts straight from 12v to 19v.
Would a car charger work also with a 12 V boat battery (sail boat) where the voltage might fluctuates between 12 V and 15 V, the battery being charged by a solar panel?

Or do I need to get something special that would stabilize the input voltage?
  (#10) Old

Default Re: Car charger? - 02-26-2009, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kionee
Cool plan. I'm probably going to do something similar on the next road trip -- but how did you cope with an FM transmitter? The last time I tried that, driving from Indiana to Tennessee, we gave up and bought a tape adapter. There were simply too much interference from local radio stations, especially in Illinois.

« Help! Need custom skin for mini9 | External HDD »