External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#31) Old

Default Re: InvisibleShield - 03-08-2009, 05:59 PM

Just bought a mini 9 and wanted to buy the invisible shield...for those who have it do you recommend it??? I have it for my iphone 3g but it was a little bit of a pain to install...one final question does it cover the whole lid or does it stop before the edge...thanks in advance!
  (#32) Old

Default Re: InvisibleShield - 03-08-2009, 06:38 PM

They are a pain to install, but if you've done one the skills learned can help with the successive installs. Since installing mine I've felt like I didn't have to baby it so much out of the case. And, I've been able to hand it to interested friends and strangers who want to gawk at it without fear they would scratch or goo it up too much .

Regarding part of your question in your post. There is a gap at the leading, curved edge of the LCD frame. Like most of their products they have to compromise a little to get a flat sheet of their miracle product to adapt to curved surfaces. I like to take care of my gadgets, but even I know that no product can completely protect. Ha, that said I just ordered an Otterbox for my daughter's iPhone. They come in pink now!

I wonder if Otterbox makes laptop cases?

Anyway, I really like the Invisible Shield products.
  (#33) Old

Default Re: InvisibleShield - 03-10-2009, 02:34 AM

Thanks,
Seems a pain to install according to many of you....

one more question : does it last well? After one year or two? Is it removable?

Thanks again

Sorry, English in not my first language :-\

Dell mini 9, runs on Ubuntu 8.10
(also owns an Aspire one, but well... :-)
  (#34) Old

Default Re: InvisibleShield - 03-10-2009, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yooy
Thanks,
Seems a pain to install according to many of you....

Thanks again
I've had the product on my Canon 5D DSLR for over a year covering the LCD. That is a very flat surface. I've had no problems with it at all. I know that it has saved my LCD screen from being scratched on more than one occasion.

The company claims it comes off without a problem. I've never had any reason to remove the product from my camera. But, it has a very flat screen and no tricky edges like some of the devices the skin could be used for. I don't see incredibly tricky areas on the Mini 9. It was far more difficult to put on my Blackberry 8880 because of the hard curves and small areas needed to be covered. By comparison most of the pieces for the Mini 9 are good sized, with the exception of the small mouse click pad buttons. At least the buttons are not curved.

If the install is done correctly I think the skin will take a lot of abrasion without peeling or showing a lot of wear. Obviously it can't protect your Mini 9 from shock if it were to be dropped.

I doubt there is any other product that is better. If there is I'm sure folks will speak up here and we all can benefit from this shared knowledge.
  (#35) Old

Default Re: InvisibleShield - 03-10-2009, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz1

I've had the product on my Canon 5D DSLR for over a year covering the LCD. That is a very flat surface. I've had no problems with it at all. I know that it has saved my LCD screen from being scratched on more than one occasion.

The company claims it comes off without a problem. I've never had any reason to remove the product from my camera. But, it has a very flat screen and no tricky edges like some of the devices the skin could be used for. I don't see incredibly tricky areas on the Mini 9. It was far more difficult to put on my Blackberry 8880 because of the hard curves and small areas needed to be covered. By comparison most of the pieces for the Mini 9 are good sized, with the exception of the small mouse click pad buttons. At least the buttons are not curved.

If the install is done correctly I think the skin will take a lot of abrasion without peeling or showing a lot of wear. Obviously it can't protect your Mini 9 from shock if it were to be dropped.

I doubt there is any other product that is better. If there is I'm sure folks will speak up here and we all can benefit from this shared knowledge.
Thank you, useful

Sorry, English in not my first language :-\

Dell mini 9, runs on Ubuntu 8.10
(also owns an Aspire one, but well... :-)
  (#36) Old

Default Re: InvisibleShield - 03-15-2009, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yooy
Thanks,
reim

Thanks again
It lasts a long time. Even then, it comes with a lifetime warranty so if it breaks, send it back and they'll send a new one. Friend had one on his iPhone and went to the gym. He dropped it right on the treadmill so the effect was like a sandpaper belt on the iPhone. He picked it up after a few seconds (he panicked) and to his surprise the invisible shield was still on (although partially mauled in some areas) and the screen was unscratched. He contacted IS and they told him to send it back and sent him a new one. Only downside is that he had to send it UPS next day and ended up paying $15 for shipping and wasn't reimbursed but o well, they still held up to their warranty.

I bought that same iPhone from him with the replacement shield on and sold it after a few months of use. I think it's been about a little over a year since the replacement film was applied and the guy I sold it to says it is still going strong

I got one on my 3G and plan on purchasing one for my Mini 9!

How did people prep installation for the key area? I'm not the best with my hands and am worried about liquid getting into the keyboards.

Mini 10v | Obsidian Black | 160GB | 1GB RAM | 1.3 WC | A05 | OS X
  (#37) Old
Administrator

Default Re: InvisibleShield - 03-15-2009, 01:16 PM

Remove the keyboard before applying - it's easy. Two screws off the back, push back the lock on the ribbon connector and gently pull the cable out. You might want to put a towel or something in the opening just in case.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#38) Old

Default Re: InvisibleShield - 03-15-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4
Remove the keyboard before applying - it's easy. Two screws off the back, push back the lock on the ribbon connector and gently pull the cable out. You might want to put a towel or something in the opening just in case.
Sweet, thanks for the advice.

Mini 10v | Obsidian Black | 160GB | 1GB RAM | 1.3 WC | A05 | OS X
  (#39) Old
Administrator

Default Re: InvisibleShield - 03-15-2009, 05:43 PM

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#40) Old

Default Re: InvisibleShield - 03-27-2009, 05:01 AM

Has anyone noticed any performance issues for the trackpad? I know that they cover this one as well. Just wondering

Dell Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.5.7 | 2 GB RAM | RunCore 64
BIOS A05 | 16 GB SD | USB Legacy Mode: OFF | BT |DellEFI 1.2a5 | 1.3mp WC

« SDHC as a HD | External GPS and Software that works with Linux? »