External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#1) Old

Default no power cord - 05-09-2009, 06:39 PM

My mini 9 came today without a power cord. Dell is saying that it will take days to get me sent a power cord. Is there an off the shelf power cord I can use -- best buy, radio shack, whatever -- until they send me one?

thanks
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to MoInSTL Send a message via MSN to MoInSTL Send a message via Yahoo to MoInSTL
Default Re: no power cord - 05-09-2009, 06:42 PM

That's crazy. They can overnight it (and they should).

Studio 15 1558| Black Chainlink| i5-520M, |4GB RAM |500 GB HD@7200 |ATI HD 4570, 512K|Backlit|9 Cell|Web Cam|Windows 7 Professional x64
  (#3) Old
Retired Mini user

Default Re: no power cord - 05-09-2009, 06:50 PM

Except that it's Saturday. If they could overnight it, it probably wouldn't be until Tuesday.

I can't recommend a specific AC adapter, but you might want to check the local office supply stores for a Kensington or Targus generic brick capable of 19V, 1.6A.

Getting an iPad
  (#4) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to MoInSTL Send a message via MSN to MoInSTL Send a message via Yahoo to MoInSTL
Default Re: no power cord - 05-09-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfKeeper
Except that it's Saturday. If they could overnight it, it probably wouldn't be until Tuesday.

I can't recommend a specific AC adapter, but you might want to check the local office supply stores for a Kensington or Targus generic brick capable of 19V, 1.6A.
I didn't notice that it came today... never mind.

Studio 15 1558| Black Chainlink| i5-520M, |4GB RAM |500 GB HD@7200 |ATI HD 4570, 512K|Backlit|9 Cell|Web Cam|Windows 7 Professional x64
  (#5) Old
Administrator

Default Re: no power cord - 05-09-2009, 08:44 PM

All of the stores you mention sell AC adapters that are Dell-compatible. You may pay a lot for one, though, as they're usually intended for travelers and have a variety of tips. Figure around $50 for a basic model.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#6) Old

Default Re: no power cord - 05-10-2009, 03:22 PM

Thanks. I can't see paying 1/6 of a new mini for a cord. I was hoping there was some generic one around for $20 or $30. I suppose it is my fault for buying a refurbished mini -- though it's hard to believe anyone could ship a system and leave out the power cable. There wasn't even a packing slip with the computer, to tell me what should be with it.

I haven't bought a Dell computer since they wiped out their Ohio support center and moved it to india -- I thought they sucked as a company to do that. I guess I wasn't too far wrong. I had heard they had changed somewhat and you could talk to Americans now but everyone I spoke to on my missing power cord issue was Indian. And the service sucked. I was disconnected three times, and I had to spend hours on the phone and with about six people just to communicate the simple fact that the power cord -- and who knows what else since I didn't get a packing slip -- was not in the box. It doesn't speak well for restarting a relationship with Dell.

I suppose I am going to have to wait until they get the power cord to me, which of course, they still haven't shipped, because the system arrived on Saturday. I had hoped, that since I called them Saturday before two that they could ship a new one Federal Express and have it here Monday. But they didn't. So I probably won't get it until Tuesday. Maybe even later. After all this I am now wondering if I should even keep the mini. I have to admit the computer keyboard looks more problematic than I had thought. I think I would probably prefer the mini 10 with a conventionally laid out keyboard. I would buy one except that I can't see buying a computer, however small, that doesn't have upgradable memory. If they had that, I would buy a mini 10 -- except now the support issues have me thinking Dell is still a bad way to go.
  (#7) Old

Default 06-08-2009, 12:42 AM

Just in case anyone was still interested in a Dell Power adapter, I found an OEM power cable at Discount Electronics in Austin, TX. They sell them online for $39, but I was able to pick it up for $29 in the store. Don't know if you can call and see if you can get the lower price, but can't hurt to try.

DiscountElectronics.com - Dell Inspiron Mini 9 Laptop AC Power Adapters

Mine :
Mini 9 - Black, Dual Boot Ubuntu 9.04 Netbook Remix and WinXP, 2GB RAM, 32GB SSD, 16GB SD, BT, 1.3 MP Webcam
Mini 9 - White, WinXP, 2GB RAM, 16GB SSD, 0.3MP Webcam
Interchangeable - 4GB with Moblin Installed
Interchangeable - 4GB with JoliCloud installed
  (#8) Old

Default 06-08-2009, 01:18 AM

dells customer service/tech support sucks. these internet forums are my tech. support.
-i bought a second cord from dell, it was like 50 bucks, pathetic.

« Sharkoon Flexi-Drive S2S | Ebay Mini 9 leather case video review »