External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#151) Old
jessm jessm is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1
Join Date: Mar 2009
Default Re: Dell Mini Case/Sleeve - 03-05-2009, 10:58 AM

i had one from [url = http://www.carrymobile.com/scripts/main ... -MX12.html]Carrymobile.com[/url]. nice leather.
Reply With Quote
  (#152) Old
Leeward Leeward is offline
Member
 
Posts: 36
Join Date: Mar 2009
Default Re: Dell Mini Case/Sleeve - 03-08-2009, 09:20 PM

I just picked up a fairly good case for my requirements

Since the unit is small, a normal laptop bag won't do.
I plan to buy the sleeve from extreme deals, as mentioned ealier in this thread, but I need something bigger occassionally

I have a brand new Mini 9, to replace my Asus 701 4G, which I use for ocean sailing and travel.
Beside the usual email, web and documents, I use Garmin software on the laptop, to upload maps to my handheld GPS, do road trips with Garmin nRoute software, and use it for passage planning for ocean sailing. On top of that I like to have extra external storage. so with that in mind....

Carrying Requirements:
1) Dell Mini 9
2) Garmin GPSMAP 60cx handheld GPS
3) Ipod
(I use this for normal audio use, and as an external harddrive which is great for installing software to the netbook via DVD/ISO images stored on the ipod's upgraded 240GB drive)

4) USB cable for the GPS
5) Ipod USB cable
6) Wireless mouse
7) Dell Power Supply
8) Battery charger for the GPS batteries
9) The Bag must have a way to secure it so when i'm climbing on and off the boat it's not swinging around to much

After looking around I found a few cheap/good options.
Note: the physical stores I mention are in Canada but I have noted the price in USD for those interested.

a) Some Wii carrying bags would work perfectly. I found one at Zellers for $24 CAD ($19 USD)

b) Some DVD or CD disc cases also work well.
I considered this HARD SHELL case: http://www.slappa.com/40-dvd-case-bl...2&category=132
Take out the DVD pages, insert some foam and I'd have a nice ultra strong travel case.
But I decided that a soft case would probably be ok for my needs.

BTW: Check out slappa. http://www.slappa.com/catalog/cd-cases lots of options there

c) Portable Dvd Player cases are usually the correct size too, but some have some awkward configurations.


In the end I got a Case Logic APDV3 7-9" Portable DVD player case.
I purchased it at Canadian Tire http://tinyurl.com/az8ay3 for $20 CAD ($16 USD)




The bag is made of fake leather vinyl type stuff. Not as good as ballistic cloth or real leather.
The bag has a carrying handle.
It also comes with 4 straps meant for mounting a DVD player in a case between the seats.
The extra straps and the various attachment points enable the bag to be carried multiple ways.



The bag has 2 zippered compartments. (and a front flap for some reason)
Note the 2 attachments for straps. There are 2 on each end. A TOTAL of 4. (and a few inside which I won't need)
With those attachment points, I could hang the bag on my shoulder either vertically (as shown) or horizontally (like a normal laptop bag). I could also use 2 straps, one on each end, to carry the bag like a backpack.
The carrying handle is strong, but the strap attachments are plastic. That is my only concern with this bag.
(I have an old torn black sports bag that has metal rings and extra straps, so i may just switch the straps and install the metal D rings on this new bag.)



The bag has 2 zippered compartments.
One has the DVD player section where the Dell MIni 9 fits. It's has padding. All dimensions are perfect to fit the Mini 9.

Note the 2 internal strap attachments. I may remove those.
As I metioned before, there are 2 strap attachments on each external end.
You can't see the ones on the left side in these photos.




Here is the 2nd zippered compartment, with all the other gear in it. Fits just nicely.
Hidden under all that stuff, is a covered flap pocket for 4 DVD discs.

The complete bag is the size of the Dell Mini 9... but is 4 inches thick.

If this bag isn't durable enough... I may just get one of the slappaa cases, line it with foam, attach some straps, and create a DIY super rugged case.


Hope this helps someone.
Reply With Quote
  (#153) Old
jergarmar jergarmar is offline
Member
 
Posts: 49
Join Date: Feb 2009
Default Re: Dell Mini Case/Sleeve - 03-09-2009, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeward
In the end I got a Case Logic APDV3 7-9" Portable DVD player case.
I purchased it at Canadian Tire http://tinyurl.com/az8ay3 for $20 CAD ($16 USD)
Yeah, I put up a couple of pics of this Case Logic in this thread too. Your pics are better, though. I'm still really liking it, although I'm still watching for signs of poor durability. Got mine at Walmart.

Oh yeah, my family calls it my "man purse". Heh.
Reply With Quote
  (#154) Old
Leeward Leeward is offline
Member
 
Posts: 36
Join Date: Mar 2009
Default Re: Dell Mini Case/Sleeve - 03-09-2009, 04:19 AM

What ??? OOops.
I actually saw your post back when i started doing research, and yet I didn"t realize I had the same bag when i posted.
We evidently both have great taste. hehe

Did you end up removing the internal flap ? Have you been hauling it around much ? Any complaints ?
I used to haul my Asus to work every day and carry it like a book.
Though my lifestyle is different now..For most daily use I think i'll likely just use a sleeve. I found that with the Asus 701 I had to carry the power adapter with me, stuffed into the stretchy sleeve it came with. I plan to get one of those 8 cell batteries for the dell. Then i'll have little need to carry the power adapter for simple daily use.

For the more rugged use, which will hopefully be the norm, I'd prefer a small watertight floating semi-hard shell case with a strap, but this will do the job until someone makes something like that. In the meantime I'll be using ziplock bags inside this one for the waterproof factor.

As for people giving you a hard time about it being a "Murse".... maybe it needs metal studs or something. :twisted:
If this Dell is anything like my Asus 701, some neandertal type guys may laugh when I walk into a bar to check the marine weather maps and have a beer... but once I pull it out (the laptop), both the ladies and guys end up coming over and checking it out.

Cheers !
Reply With Quote
  (#155) Old
shaqspaere shaqspaere is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 13
Join Date: Jan 2009
Default Re: Dell Mini Case/Sleeve - 03-09-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaqspaere
I just purchased the Medium Classic Messenger at Timbuk2. I'm not crazy about the color, but for less than $40, I figure it's worth taking a shot on.
I've been using the Timbuk2 for about a month now, and I love this bag. It's convenient and comfortable. I can pack it pretty tightly, though I prefer to keep it as light as possible most of the time.

Has anyone purchased this cover from Licaso at Amazon.com?

I'm wondering if it fits as nicely as the photo indicates.
Reply With Quote
  (#156) Old
DXP DXP is offline
Member
 
DXP's Avatar
 
Posts: 53
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Nor*Cal
Default Netbook Accessories - 03-09-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXP
I do using this PS2 bag for ASUS EEEPC:

My netbook eee is actually fit in bag.. I purchased it from BEST BUY .
:mrgreen:


10/20/08:Asus Eee PC 1000HD - PNY 2GB PC2-5300 667MHz DDR2 - 120GB SATA HDD - WinXP SP3-32 bit

08/09/09: Gateway LT3103u - 2GB DDR2 SDRAM - 250GB SATA HDD - WinVista SP2-32 bit - SideWinder X8
Reply With Quote
  (#157) Old
TD99 TD99 is offline
Member
 
Posts: 71
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Diego, California, USA
Default Re: Dell Mini Case/Sleeve - 03-10-2009, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD99
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15379
[attachment=0:1zdk486p]case.png[/attachment:1zdk486p]

I received the case a few days ago and just took some pics (following post). By the way, the price is now $4.57 shipped. Such a bargain that I might back another as backup!

The only drawback is that as with all neoprene products (i.e. wetuits), you need to give it a few days to air out because it smells like, well, neoprene!

There's also a wrinkle/crease going through the middle because DealExtreme folds it half so it fits in the shipping envelope, but after a few days, it totally disappears.
Attached Images
File Type: png case.png (175.7 KB, 84 views)


Dell Inspiron 1750, T6600, 4GB RAM, Wireless N
Reply With Quote
  (#158) Old
TD99 TD99 is offline
Member
 
Posts: 71
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Diego, California, USA
Default Re: Dell Mini Case/Sleeve - 03-10-2009, 03:41 AM















Dell Inspiron 1750, T6600, 4GB RAM, Wireless N
Reply With Quote
  (#159) Old
jergarmar jergarmar is offline
Member
 
Posts: 49
Join Date: Feb 2009
Default Re: Dell Mini Case/Sleeve - 03-10-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeward
What ??? OOops.
I actually saw your post back when i started doing research, and yet I didn"t realize I had the same bag when i posted.
We evidently both have great taste. hehe

Did you end up removing the internal flap ? Have you been hauling it around much ? Any complaints ?
I used to haul my Asus to work every day and carry it like a book.
Though my lifestyle is different now..For most daily use I think i'll likely just use a sleeve. I found that with the Asus 701 I had to carry the power adapter with me, stuffed into the stretchy sleeve it came with. I plan to get one of those 8 cell batteries for the dell. Then i'll have little need to carry the power adapter for simple daily use.

For the more rugged use, which will hopefully be the norm, I'd prefer a small watertight floating semi-hard shell case with a strap, but this will do the job until someone makes something like that. In the meantime I'll be using ziplock bags inside this one for the waterproof factor.

As for people giving you a hard time about it being a "Murse".... maybe it needs metal studs or something. :twisted:
If this Dell is anything like my Asus 701, some neandertal type guys may laugh when I walk into a bar to check the marine weather maps and have a beer... but once I pull it out (the laptop), both the ladies and guys end up coming over and checking it out.

Cheers !
I've been carrying it around with me all the time, and it's good so far. I actually find it very convenient to carry it by the handle, but then again I'm usually not carrying around a bunch of other stuff. The contents are really not that heavy, so my impression is that it will take a while for the case or handle to really be "stressed". Recently I've been bringing my digital camera more often (inside the zippered pocket), since I can do minimal editing and adjustment on the go with the Mini. Good size for that pocket.

I'm think I'm going to make 2 modifications to this case. The first is to, as I mentioned before, get rid of the "webbing" so that the case opens flat. The other is, as you mentioned, getting rid of that internal flap. If things slide out of it I'll get a little velcro tab for it or something. I also feel like removing the external velcro flap, since it serves no purpose that I can see -- but that might be hard to do in a "neat" way.

My favorite thing to do with this case is to "flourish", like a magician, and produce my Mini. Tadaaa!

EDIT: I cut away the "webbing" so that it opens all the way, cut away two plastic eyelets inside the case, and cut off the internal flap inside the zippered pocket. The cut parts aren't very noticeable. Cutting away the webbing is an improvement: it opens all the way AND it now doesn't interfere with closing the zipper (sometimes the webbing would get caught in that zipper). I ALMOST cut away the external velcro flap... but I chickened out. I'll do it next time.
Reply With Quote
  (#160) Old
ronin510 ronin510 is offline
Member
 
Posts: 64
Join Date: Feb 2009
Default Re: Dell Mini Case/Sleeve - 03-11-2009, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD99
I received the case a few days ago and just took some pics (following post). By the way, the price is now $4.57 shipped. Such a bargain that I might back another as backup!

The only drawback is that as with all neoprene products (i.e. wetuits), you need to give it a few days to air out because it smells like, well, neoprene!

There's also a wrinkle/crease going through the middle because DealExtreme folds it half so it fits in the shipping envelope, but after a few days, it totally disappears.
I was going to ask you for a "mini" review of the item, but for that price, I figured I'd just buy it. Looks nice. Would consider buying it even if it were 2x as much, considering the free shipping. Now I just hope I get it faster than my other DX purchases.
Reply With Quote
Reply

« Help needed formatting an SD card! | My converted Zippered Binder/dayplanner case for my mini9 »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Copyright © 2008-2016 MyDellMini.com.