External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#1) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default Best Memory Card for Media Storage/Playback? - 04-30-2009, 01:32 PM

I'm looking for recommendations for good memory cards to use for music storage between my two minis.

Just gonna be storing MP3s, possibly the weird itunes format if the worst happens.

Factors which come into play:
- 8GB+ capacity
- Biggest size, so it isn't easily lost, and isn't fiddly to put in/take out, as from my experiences the smaller cards are hard to insert and especially remove from these all in one readers. I don't wanna be scratching away at either my mini or my card.
- Value for money
- Performance, gonna be used for video/music, so need it to play seamlessly.

Once purchased I shall probably be making a blog post about this and giving props to this thread!

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#2) Old
Guru

Default Re: Best Memory Card for Media Storage/Playback? - 04-30-2009, 01:52 PM

Playing MP3's is an undemanding job. Even the slowest Class 2 card should be adequate. And it doesn't take an especially fast card to play any video that the Atom CPU can decode. But you may want a faster card for quicker file copying.

As for quality, I have a couple SanDisk cards, which have served me well. But SanDisk cards can be hard to find a deal on. I've also been happy with my Kingston.

I'd avoid Transcend cards, since I had some bad ones. I'd also avoid the cheapest brands, like A-Data.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Best Memory Card for Media Storage/Playback? - 04-30-2009, 04:05 PM

i agree. transcend is great.

my A-DATA broke after a few insertions. The plastic is really cheap compared to kingston or sandisk.
  (#4) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to MoInSTL Send a message via MSN to MoInSTL Send a message via Yahoo to MoInSTL
Default Re: Best Memory Card for Media Storage/Playback? - 04-30-2009, 04:27 PM

This should help Dunham--Thirteen SDHC Memory Cards Reviewed. Nice jpg from there for your article too.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sdh ... ,2143.html

I have the Transcend 16GB, Class 6. It was much cheaper when I bought it. The SanDisk was well rated but I didn't want to pay a premium for storage and MP3s. The Transcend is fast. There are two mentioned in the review. I have the first one.

"Our 16 GB test sample was good for 19.7 MB/s maximum read transfer rate and up to 15.9 MB/s maximum write throughput. The minimum write speed was 12.8 MB/s, which is a nice result".

I have it set up as my D: drive. It's small, has a clip so it can't be overwritten. I can't comment on how easy it is to pop in and out since I mounted it as my D: drive. It's my understanding that SDHC aren't flush in the Mini 10's. Don't know about your Mini 12. For ease of use swapping, it can be ordered bundled with a reader.

From browsing the threads here about SDHC cards, Transcend & A-Data appear to be the most popular

[attachment=0:3gywtc7k]SDHC-memory-card,F-H-178109-1.jpg[/attachment:3gywtc7k]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDHC-memory-card,F-H-178109-1.jpg (9.6 KB, 458 views)

Studio 15 1558| Black Chainlink| i5-520M, |4GB RAM |500 GB HD@7200 |ATI HD 4570, 512K|Backlit|9 Cell|Web Cam|Windows 7 Professional x64
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Best Memory Card for Media Storage/Playback? - 04-30-2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflex
I'd avoid Transcend cards, since I had some bad ones. I'd also avoid the cheapest brands, like A-Data.
I use an A-Data 16 GB SDHC (from Newegg) and it hasn't given me any problems at all. :? I store everything on it, documents, photos, music...don't have any videos on it yet.
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Best Memory Card for Media Storage/Playback? - 05-03-2009, 03:48 PM

I have used Transcend cards in my digital camera for almost a year... and have never had any problems with any of them. (Just remember to format the card before using it the first time... and not a "quick" format.)

I find that amazon (3rd party sellers) usually has the best deals.

These cards are FAST and made well. I highly recommend them!

I drive a mini, and now I carry a mini with me as well... hehe.

« Bigger Battery? | 3-in-1 USB dock houses fan, DVD drive, 2.5" drive bay »