External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#1) Old

Default Using Mini as a dumb terminal, Keyboard out, Video in. - 04-30-2009, 01:54 AM

So.. If you sometimes find yourself in the situation where you need a monitor and a keyboard, and that is often the case for me, I'd love for my mini to do double duty.

The video in is not a problem, any VGA/USB video adapter will do me. The sticky wicket seems to be using the keyboard. A cursory search revealed nothing along those lines. Hard to believe that no one has made a USB adapter that emulates keyboard output? Driver + USB interface?

has anyone run across one?

Note - Not looking for a remote desktop or shell solution, has to be hardware.
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Using Mini as a dumb terminal, Keyboard out, Video in. - 05-03-2009, 07:56 PM

Not sure about a PS-2 output (I'd expect it's such a rare requirement to not have some sort of remote control software installed that the everyone who has needed one has hacked it together with an arduino or something), but I'd be interested as to where you found this magical USB VGA input. Finding a device/card that accepts VGA as an input whatsoever is next to impossible, let alone one that works nicely over USB with something as processor-anaemic as the Mini-9.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Using Mini as a dumb terminal, Keyboard out, Video in. - 05-06-2009, 10:32 PM

edz - hey you're right, there aren't a lot of vga input options, and the one I did find has some serious limitations, i.e. cost and low framerates at higher resolutions.

http://www.epiphan.com/products/frame-grabbers/vga2usb/

I'm surprised. I could kludge a vga in/component out box to usb component capture card.. Ugly aside, wonder how that would work.

regarding PS/2 - not really what I wanted, i was thinking USB keyboard/mouse out.
  (#4) Old

Default 05-12-2009, 05:52 PM

I have heard tell of these "USB transfer/KVM" cables in the recent past. My guess is that there is client and server software and that it is little more than a network link established between the client and server over the USB. The client/server for the KVM would likely be something like VNC.

I suspect that all you need to care about is the network link of whatever type (Wireless, RJ45, Bluetooth, USB) and effective remote desktop software of your choice (VNC, RDesktop, PC Anywhere).

Whatever solution that might appear, you can bet there will be client side software involved anyway.

« Who is intrested in an EXTERNAL battery charger? | PS3 Dual Shock 3 via Bluetooth. »