External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#11) Old

Default Re: Cheap External CD/DVD Solution - 01-29-2009, 05:51 PM

I've just picked up a 360 HD-DVD drive for £22 delivered in the UK. I know HD is dead but it's a cheap external drive for the mini 9 and HD films are £2.99 each so I grabbed a few to see what all the HD fuss is about.

Everything's Blue, Everything's Blue In This World, All Fuzzy, Spilling Out Of My Head.
  (#12) Old

Default Re: Cheap External CD/DVD Solution - 02-07-2009, 02:27 PM

-delete-
  (#13) Old

Default Re: Cheap External CD/DVD Solution - 02-07-2009, 02:29 PM

Here is another option. Samsung external on sale at NewEgg for $60.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827151178
  (#14) Old

Default Re: Cheap External CD/DVD Solution - 02-07-2009, 07:39 PM

So can someone take a look at http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-2-0-to-IDE-S...mZ260346204037

$5.60 shipped to the USA. So could I open my desktop, unplug the SATA connector from the CD drive, plug this in, power up the computer to power the drive, and connect to my Mini to reinstall XP? I know it isn't a pretty solution, but the only time I'd do it would be for an OS reinstall.
  (#15) Old

Default Re: Cheap External CD/DVD Solution - 02-09-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heed
I've just picked up a 360 HD-DVD drive for £22 delivered in the UK. I know HD is dead but it's a cheap external drive for the mini 9 and HD films are £2.99 each so I grabbed a few to see what all the HD fuss is about.
So does it work for the mini? These are pretty cheap and this is what i would use it for :?: Thanks in advance for the update.....

Ice Blue 32gb ssd 2gb ram OSX .3mp camera....
  (#16) Old

Default Re: Cheap External CD/DVD Solution - 02-10-2009, 06:11 PM

Bumping because I'd like to order this but would appreciate confirmation from someone here first.
http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-2-0-to-IDE-SATA ... 0346204037
  (#17) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Cheap External CD/DVD Solution - 02-10-2009, 06:19 PM

Well, theoretically that would work for the data connection but this item does NOT include the power supply needed to power a regular IDE or SATA drive.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#18) Old

Default Re: Cheap External CD/DVD Solution - 02-11-2009, 04:07 PM

Agree, that is why I would keep the drive power plugged into the PC for power but the data cable plugged into this to the Mini. Again, an ugly solution for something I would only use for OS reinstall.

PS, this kit seems to have it all (including power supply for $12.79 shipped from China direct) and I may just order it instead.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0346203660

Ah, why not... I just ordered and I'll see how it works. This is tons cheaper than any other alternative I've seen and I know I'll be reinstalling XP at some point.

PS: IMO this thread is kinda buried. I know this is an external accessory... however, I really never ventured out of the specific "Mini 9" forums. Would be good for it to be referenced there in one of the sticky FAQs if it does work.
  (#19) Old

Default Re: Cheap External CD/DVD Solution - 02-11-2009, 06:26 PM

Any recommendation on an external USB DVD burner for a Mini 9 that works well under OS X?
  (#20) Old

Default Re: Cheap External CD/DVD Solution - 02-12-2009, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disaster
Here is another option. Samsung external on sale at NewEgg for $60.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827151178
Just wanted to follow up. I received this drive and it works great in XP on the mini. I used the default Windows drivers and didn't even look at the installation CD. One note. Like most external drives it uses two USB ports to ensure adequate power. The cabling is short and requires the ports to be next to one another. I had to move my bluetooth to the right side so I could use the twin ports on the left. Other than that hassle (required reinstalling BT drivers and dialup DUN) it went swimmingly.

P.S. I considered getting one of those cheap Chinese drives off Ebay but decided, for $20 more, I'd rather have the Samsung...which gets good ratings at NewEgg.

« Smaller power adapter/charger | Wireless or Bluetooth Joypad for Mac »