External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#1) Old

Send a message via MSN to ChazB Send a message via Skype™ to ChazB
Default External DVD, Flash Drive, RAM, and WiFi questions - 04-15-2009, 12:57 PM

Have a few quick questions for forum users about some peripherals and hardware.

External DVD - Is the Samsung External Slim DVD drive from Newegg good for installing Windows/Linux/OS X? That is, is it bootable under each of those OSs?

Flash Drive - What is a good, fast drive? I'm looking to get a 16GB or 32GB, but recommending a line is good.

RAM - Does anyone know where to find the CAS 3 Samsung RAM in CANADA? Or a US retailer that will ship to a PO Box (Newegg won't)?

WiFi - I have a 3 antenna 802.11n WiFi card and was wondering where would be the best place to route the third antenna? Would it be OK next to one of the other 2 or should I place it along the top or bottom of the screen?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

| Dell Mini 10 | Product Red Edition | 1.6GHz | 1.3MP | 160GB SATA HDD | Bluetooth | 802.11n | Windows 7 Ultimate |
| Dell Mini 10v | Obsidian Black | 1.6GHz | 2GB Kingston HyperX | 1.3MP | 160GB SATA HDD | Bluetooth | 802.11n | Windows 7 Ultimate |

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines. - Unknown

Before Elvis, there was nothing. - John Lennon
  (#2) Old
Guru

Default Re: External DVD, Flash Drive, RAM, and WiFi questions - 04-16-2009, 02:48 AM

I don't have answers for most of your questions, but when it comes to reliable flash storage, I like SanDisk.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old

Default Re: External DVD, Flash Drive, RAM, and WiFi questions - 04-16-2009, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazB
External DVD - Is the Samsung External Slim DVD drive from Newegg good for installing Windows/Linux/OS X? That is, is it bootable under each of those OSs?
If it's the one I bought, an 80x series, yes.

Quote:
Flash Drive - What is a good, fast drive? I'm looking to get a 16GB or 32GB, but recommending a line is good. .
I bought the 16g Sandisk Extreme III. Multiple uses in any event.

Quote:
RAM - Does anyone know where to find the CAS 3 Samsung RAM in CANADA? Or a US retailer that will ship to a PO Box (Newegg won't)? .
Kingston Extreme is CAS 2, if I recall correctly; it's 533 - bus speed. Two sticks, one in mini9 one in NC10. No issues. No idea on shipping and WiFi antenna.

Red mini9, 64g Runcore, 2g Kingston Hyper-X, BT, 1.3mp cam, OSX, XP Pro, Ubuntu UNR
Blk mini 9, 64g Runcore, 2g Kingston Hyper-X, BT, 1.3mp cam, OSX, XP Home, Ubuntu UNR
Mac v.10.5.7, A05, International Keyboards
Samsung NC-10 SE (bone stock)
  (#4) Old

Default Re: External DVD, Flash Drive, RAM, and WiFi questions - 04-18-2009, 01:39 AM

ChazB:
If you are talking about the SE-S084B - I used it to install Mac OS 10.5.6 to a Mini9 with no problems, sorry haven't tried the other OSes. Burns and plays CDs and DVDs as best as can be expected with a drive designed for netbooks.

« SDHC cheapies = duds? | Dell Small Business coupons on select accesories »