External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#1) Old
Expert Member

Default Gear Bags/Backpacks -Share what works for you - 11-03-2008, 11:30 AM

Maxpedition Colossus Versipack

I first found out about this product from user "ShinyPlastic" right here at MyDellMini, so thank you for the tip!

Just picked up one of these to carry my Mini 9 and assorted gear.
http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/vie ... roduct=379

http://the-gadgeteer.com/review/maxpedi ... _versipack
It's an awesome gear bag.
Holds my Mini 9 and all it's stuff with room to spare for my other...stuff.
They call it "Hard Use" gear for a reason too. The thing is made extremely well.

It's been the ideal solution for my needs.

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Gear Bags/Backpacks -Share what works for you - 11-06-2008, 02:40 AM

I actually found that a US WWII Army M1936 Musette Field Bag works pretty good. The center section is just slightly larger than the Mini 9 with a padded sleeve. I plan on adding a little bit of padding to the center section and it will be a perfect fit. There is plenty of room for the power cord, bluetooth mouse, headphones and a slim-line DVD drive. There is also a side slot that fits my cell phone. Throw on the shoulder strap and it's a really good messenger bag. It isn't what everyone else is using so I don't have to worry about someone else showing up at the party wearing the same outfit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WWII-US Musette Bag M36.jpg (27.3 KB, 352 views)

Mine :
Mini 9 - Black, Dual Boot Ubuntu 9.04 Netbook Remix and WinXP, 2GB RAM, 32GB SSD, 16GB SD, BT, 1.3 MP Webcam
Mini 9 - White, WinXP, 2GB RAM, 16GB SSD, 0.3MP Webcam
Interchangeable - 4GB with Moblin Installed
Interchangeable - 4GB with JoliCloud installed
  (#3) Old
Expert Member

Default Re: Gear Bags/Backpacks -Share what works for you - 11-06-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody_mini
...It isn't what everyone else is using so I don't have to worry about someone else showing up at the party wearing the same outfit.
Word.

Nice find! Very cool!

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Gear Bags/Backpacks -Share what works for you - 11-06-2008, 08:23 PM

Dell Accessories has large (20 - 50% discounts) on most if not all carrying cases right now. Swiss Gear in particular has a 50% off coupon (though they don't seem to have anything specific to netbooks like some of the other brands).

Laptop Carrying Cases @ Dell

Coupons
15% off electronics and accessories, limit 5000 uses: PWXNZVNDRWWX1P
Expires 2008-11-07 11:59pm CST

Save 50% on Select Designed For Dell Swissgear Backpacks, lilmit 10,000 uses: K3S22K2MW3373R
Expires 2008-11-18 11:59pm CST

Matt || Inspiron Mini 9 || 2 GB G.Skill RAM || 16 GB SSD || Windows XP Pro SP3
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Gear Bags/Backpacks -Share what works for you - 11-06-2008, 09:57 PM

I found a great place to pick up a messenger bag that fits the mini9 perfectly. If you are in the Fullerton, CA area you can grab one for no more then $16.99. It is sealed with a zipper and a flap to cover it. There is a pocket with a zipper inside to store a few things, and 2 more open pockets in front of the main compartment. The charger and BT mouse fit perfectly in the messenger bag.

All American Military Surplus
2584 Fender Ave
Fullerton, CA 92831
(714) 871-3210

[Pictures to come ]

Mini9: 2GB Ram, 16GB SSD, 16GB SDHC, Bluetooth, 1.3MP Camera, WinXP Home
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Gear Bags/Backpacks -Share what works for you - 11-06-2008, 11:31 PM

[attachment=2:3dhnds6q]prod-photo-CU-1.jpg[/attachment:3dhnds6q]I love these off-the-wall bags in this forum. I don't have anything that unique, but I did convert my ThinkTank Photo Change-Up bag to carry the Mini 9 to work on a very rainy day. I used one of their padded inserts that I don't usually use with my camera equipment and it was a great fit. It has a rain cover and shoulder strap in addition to a hidden waist belt.

Thinktank makes a range of photo equipment/laptop carriers A little expensive but very well designed and high in quality. You won't be disappointed if you can justify the cost Heck, I've got so much into bags these days I might as well purchased several Mini 9's as disposables But Like I said I had the Change-Up on hand.

I own several of their products and just ordered their Urban Disguise 35 to carry the Dell Mini 9 and a Canon 5D telephoto lens combo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg prod-photo-CU-1.jpg (55.4 KB, 253 views)
File Type: jpg UD35_7.jpg (18.4 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg UD35_1.jpg (30.9 KB, 135 views)
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Gear Bags/Backpacks -Share what works for you - 11-07-2008, 06:40 AM

I ordered a Case Logic E-Sling Medium from Amazon.com The 9 fits in it perfectly and it has room for the mouse and power cord.

http://www.caselogic.com/e_sling_med...modelid=125395
http://www.amazon.com/XNTM-3-Medium-...dp/B001F7KXB8/

Dell Mini 9, 2GB RAM, 64GB SSD, 1.3MP camera, Bluetooth, Ubuntu 8.10
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Gear Bags/Backpacks -Share what works for you - 11-11-2008, 07:30 PM

I initially tried the Timbuk2 T-Pak bag specifically designed for the MINI and although it perfectly fits the MINI, there is no room for anything else other than the power cord or a mouse...nothing else.

So I upgraded to the Case Logic E-Sling medium and that one offered better room...though I could not fit the external drive with the mouse and power cord. So, I went with the E-Sling large size made for the 7-12" laptops and its perfect!!!
Its big enough to carry everything and not so big to be a burden to carry.

I love my Case Login E-Sling Large!!!

Mini 9 with 2gb RAM, DELL BT Travel Mouse, IO DVD/CD Burner, 16GB SD.
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Gear Bags/Backpacks -Share what works for you - 11-13-2008, 12:40 AM

A Case Logic 3.5" hard shell case for a GPS, ie:

http://www.caselogic.com/3_5_flat_sc...modelid=101922

can be used to carry the power adapter with you, though it just BARELY fits. And its just $6.90 right now.

Still trying other gear bags to see what will be the best choice.

Dell Mini 9:Black:GelaSkin by Daim:32GB RunCore SSD:2GB RAM:Bluetoothell 1505 b/g/n
  (#10) Old

Default Re: Gear Bags/Backpacks -Share what works for you - 11-13-2008, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanfoot
A Case Logic 3.5" hard shell case for a GPS, ie:

http://www.caselogic.com/3_5_flat_sc...modelid=101922

can be used to carry the power adapter with you, though it just BARELY fits. And its just $6.90 right now.

Still trying other gear bags to see what will be the best choice.
Why would I want a seperate bag for my power adapter?

« How about a Nvidia ION mini pci-e card? | Is it worth purchasing a new WiFi Card? »