External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#91) Old

Default Re: Gear Bags/Backpacks -Share what works for you - 02-23-2009, 03:25 AM

http://www.fitnesstravelgear.com/archiv ... htour.html

I use this which fits the Mini 9 and most of the other junk I like to carry.

I also have a old IBM 701C Neoprene laptop case that works.
  (#92) Old

Default REI backpack sub-$20 - 02-23-2009, 07:59 PM

Awesome backpack. I own a the larger version of this, purchased primarily for toting my larger laptop around. Now happily a multi-Mini household this baby is exactly what I need. Why lug a big backpack when a small pack does nicely?

I love all of the little internal organization pockets that this pack is loaded with. The OCD-geek inside me went totally spastic with this bag: seperate little pouches for cellphones, cables, chargers, mouse, USB drive, iPod, coins, keys, ID cards, etc.

http://www.rei.com/product/707995

His: Obsidian Mini-9: Karmic UNR w/ Vbox-XP, 2gb, 32gb STEC, 16gb Transcend(6), US-INTL, sgpstore carbon
Hers: Arctic Mini-9: Dell Ubuntu, 1gb, 16gb STEC, 8gb SDHC(6)
Are you a Help Vampire?
  (#93) Old

Default Re: Gear Bags/Backpacks -Share what works for you - 02-25-2009, 07:36 AM

This is my Case Logic DVD carrier (APDV3) that I picked up from Walmart for $20.

--- MOVED TO MINI CASE/SLEEVE THREAD (by suggestion) ---
  (#94) Old

Send a message via AIM to jimbojones79
Default Re: Gear Bags/Backpacks -Share what works for you - 03-09-2009, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holo20
I just ordered this bag from ebags.com, the XS Drift by STM. I LOVE IT!!!!!

The Mini fits perfectly, couple pockets in the main compartment for a power cord and camera maybe, another larger pocket, the flip-over flap has two zippered compartments one of which I have my slim-line optical drive stashed in, and the other pocket has a headphones pass-through port for an iPod or some such. Another zippered pocket on the front of the bag, and a slip pocket on the back that you might put a boarding pass or something you need quick access to.

Water repellent and quite tough and sturdy.

Nice long padded carry strap makes it look quite good as a messenger bag, also a rubber handle, and don't worry guys, it definitely looks great as a man-bag!

http://www.ebags.com/stm_bags/xs_drift/ ... elid=99796

-Michael

Just wanted to say a quick thanks for recommending this bag...

Mine came in 3 days ago, and I am very impressed with it....

Thanks again

Mini 9 - Onyx Black - 2GB RAM - 16GB Runcore - 16GB SDHC - Windows 7 - 7100
  (#95) Old

Default Re: Gear Bags/Backpacks -Share what works for you - 03-09-2009, 11:03 PM

Hi All,

I just came across this bag, and thought it would be a very cool addition.
http://www.slappa.com/aura-pro-tour-lap ... tegory=650

Power Mac G3 266
Power Mac G5 1.8
Powerbook G4 1.67
Newton 2100
Mini 9, A04 bios, 2GB RAM / 64GB SSD, 1.3 cam, BT, OS 10.5.6
  (#96) Old

Default Re: Gear Bags/Backpacks -Share what works for you - 03-09-2009, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnycat
Hi All,

I just came across this bag, and thought it would be a very cool addition.
http://www.slappa.com/aura-pro-tour-lap ... tegory=650
That really looks sweet, but it would Slappa my wallet Nice features. What is that black port behind the shoulder straps? Check out the "gear pack". Very nice indeed. Thanks Johnnycat!
  (#97) Old

Default Re: Gear Bags/Backpacks -Share what works for you - 03-10-2009, 01:31 AM

LowePro messenger laptop bags prove to be a good value, and well made. Keep in mind that there is a "Slim M" series" and the just plain "M" series (which have more padding, space and pockets). The M Slims are more like sleeves but a little more substantial than the average sleeve, and they do have shoulder straps. A sleeve without one just begs to be dropped. The messenger bags also have a little rubberized handle to do a quick grab. I like that. They should have made those orange for a quick find. The interiors are orange, why not the handle?

The Slim M version at Dell is on sale for the 15.5" model that I'm using on a MacPro. As luck would have it, it cost less than the 12" bag (currently nesting my Mini 9) which I got off of Amazon. Who knew a larger bag could be had for less than the smaller bag? It's the economy stupid Shop around.

The Slim M bags have minimal padding and two main pockets pockets under the flap on the "Slim M" bags. There is one exterior pocket on exterior hip side. Good enough for a notepad, magazine, or plane ticket. But not much else. But that is the point. These Slim Factor M products are good day bags. They certainly can carry your power supply and a power bar. Just be sure what your needs are and it will all be good if you go with Lowepro.

The 12" sleeve has no padding on the shoulder strap, but you don't really need it, and you can switch it out for something more padded if you like. The 12" has even more extra room if you drop in the Mini 9 short side down. That configuration would give plenty of room for a small book, or Kindle if you roll that way

One other thing. The Slim M series only have smaller "gap flaps" near where the shoulder straps attach to the main closure flap at the top of the bag. I don't expect a Monsoon soon in Iowa, but this is sort of a pet peeve of mine. But for the price I can check the weather before I choose my Bag-O'- The-Day. My non-Slim "M" series 15.4 has more generous flaps that are bigger and travel further up the main flap. So the bag-flap gap is totally covered. I've rejected some great looking, higher priced, Crumplers for this sin. So I caution you there regarding the Slim M series.

All in all, in torrential weather, the Slims are thankfully light and well suited for a short commute. I got used to utility of the Halloweenish Black bag with the orange interior. All the better find your stuff. If you want more weather protection, or rougher with your equipment check out the more heavier padded "M" series.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OWWYYY

Good review of the M (non Slim) series below:

http://www.gearlog.com/2008/12/hands_on ... er_fac.php
  (#98) Old

Default Re: Gear Bags/Backpacks -Share what works for you - 03-10-2009, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz1

That really looks sweet, but it would Slappa my wallet Nice features. What is that black port behind the shoulder straps? Check out the "gear pack". Very nice indeed. Thanks Johnnycat!
I assume you are talking about the "Slappa hand" on the lower part of the bag...prob no real function but it would hold the bag off your back a little to help with air flow and keep your back cool.

Power Mac G3 266
Power Mac G5 1.8
Powerbook G4 1.67
Newton 2100
Mini 9, A04 bios, 2GB RAM / 64GB SSD, 1.3 cam, BT, OS 10.5.6
  (#99) Old

Default Re: Gear Bags/Backpacks -Share what works for you - 03-10-2009, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnycat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz1

I assume you are talking about the "Slappa hand" on the lower part of the bag...prob no real function but it would hold the bag off your back a little to help with air flow and keep your back cool.
Yes, that is it. Very neat use of the logo. Form and function. Cool.
  (#100) Old

Send a message via AIM to LegendaryCheez
Default Re: Gear Bags/Backpacks -Share what works for you - 03-10-2009, 02:14 AM

Now if they only made this in Netbook size...

They have a portable dvd player bag, but it hangs from your side. Its very minimal, and when I saw it I thought some people would be interested.

http://www.builtny.com/

You can find the one pictured cheaper on thinkgeek.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg view_image.php.jpg (55.1 KB, 37 views)

« How about a Nvidia ION mini pci-e card? | Is it worth purchasing a new WiFi Card? »