External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#1) Old

Default Smaller power adapter/charger - 04-06-2009, 08:52 PM

I just received my Dell Mini 9, and I LOVE the form factor! Smallest. Laptop. Ever.

But the charger is gigantic! Can anyone recommend a good replacement adapter that does justice to the "Mini" in the name?
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Default Re: Smaller power adapter/charger - 04-06-2009, 10:45 PM

You call the stock charger gigantic? I think that it is pretty small, but then again I am used to full-sized laptop chargers..

Alienware M11xR2 - Core i5 1.06 - 4 GB - 250 GB HD

Triple Boot Guide - 10v RAM Upgrade Videos - mechdrew's OSX guides
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Smaller power adapter/charger - 04-06-2009, 10:53 PM

The stock chargers for regular laptops are huge, but after markets are much smaller.

Relatively speaking the charger for the Mini 9 is quite bulky. It would have been nice if they would have made it a bit more flat to fit in to a small case.

XPS 13 Ultrabook
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Smaller power adapter/charger - 04-07-2009, 12:34 AM

I picked up a small "brick" type supply on Ebay to keep in the bag and have as a spare. It's about 3-1/2" x 1" x 1-1/2". Not really much smaller than the OEM wall-wart, but a more normal shape and easier to transport with an AC cord that's inline and detaches.
Cost was about $20 w/shipping, they're plentiful on Ebay and easily found.
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Smaller power adapter/charger - 04-09-2009, 04:27 PM

Ooooh. I don't have my mini yet. can you post a picture of this supposed big adapter?
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Smaller power adapter/charger - 04-09-2009, 05:06 PM

(#7) Old

Default Re: Smaller power adapter/charger - 04-09-2009, 06:43 PM

Yes that Kensington unit should work, the list of compatible netbooks includes Dell. But, it's not smaller (at 6" long it's kind of chunky to carry around with the Mini), and not cheap at $49 although it does look like a quality adapter.
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Smaller power adapter/charger - 04-09-2009, 07:17 PM

i haven't cracked it open yet, but this adapter feels like the housing is too big for the internals. When you tap the plastic it sounds quite hollow. Could an adventurous soul do a little dissection to figure out if it's unnecessarily bulky?
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Smaller power adapter/charger - 04-09-2009, 07:27 PM

Most current "wall wart" adapters are similar, they contain a switching type power supply as opposed to the older linear type. The switching supplies are much lighter in weight, mostly because they don't have the heavy AC transformer that the linear supplies do. There is a transformer but it's much smaller/lighter, and the rest is all electronic components that don't weigh all that much.
The OEM adapter for my Asus Eee PC is almost identical in size, shape and weight to the one that comes with the Mini.
I doubt anyone is going to want to open one up unless they have a spare lying around as a throwaway, since they're sealed and any attempt to do so will be destructive.

« Dell Mini 9 European power converter/adapter? | Cheap External CD/DVD Solution »