External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#1) Old

Default What is the smallest (footprint size) external hard drive? - 03-25-2009, 06:27 PM

My Mini 9 is on it's way, and for some of the purposes I'll be using it for I'm thinking it might be nice to have a very small (compact) external hard drive. I initally thought of snagging an old ipod classic from somewhere and using that as an external, but, I figured there have to be options that are roughly the same size but don't have the apple markup or music-listening-add-ons. But that is roughly the size I am looking for. Something small and portable. I'd rather not have the mini sitting on a table (or airplane tray) and be shoving a huge piece of gear next to it for storage!

I was thinking of needing at least 100gigs of capacity that I would use to store RAW picture files on, as well as a few movies for travel and such. The smaller the better! Affordability is also a factor, so I don't mind it being non-flash media. And of course, I need it to be powered form the USB port, not an external power supply.

Any ideas? What has worked for you? Thanks!
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Default Re: What is the smallest (footprint size) external hard drive? - 03-25-2009, 06:51 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... ame=1.8%22

Smallest footprint large capacity >100GB BYO 1.8" HD...

(#3) Old

Default Re: What is the smallest (footprint size) external hard drive? - 03-25-2009, 07:24 PM

I bought a USB2.0 laptop drive enclosure that will take any 2.5" IDE drive. I bought a used 40GB drive to go in it and it works great on my Mini. The enclosure is powered by USB and costs me about $20, the used drive was about $50 when I got it 2 years ago. You should be able to easily score a 100GB setup in the same price range now. I got my enclosure from geeks.com and as previously stated NewEgg is a great option. The whole thing is about the size of a deck of cards (a little longer).

Lee

Black 2GB Memory, 16GB SSD, BT, 1.3 WebCam, Windows 7 Home Premium
  (#4) Old

Default Re: What is the smallest (footprint size) external hard drive? - 03-29-2009, 03:01 PM

^for that money you might as well get a 250GB portable external drive...i just picked one up from fry's yesterday for $60! Maxtor one touch 4 or something rather.
  (#5) Old

Default Re: What is the smallest (footprint size) external hard drive? - 04-01-2009, 07:50 PM

Check this out http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.7835. It's 1.8" 60G. It's just a bit bigger than a credit card. I considered ordering one but am happy with my 2.5" WD passport. Plus with an 8G SDHC and 16G USB flash, I have more than enough memory.
  (#6) Old

Default Re: What is the smallest (footprint size) external hard drive? - 04-04-2009, 03:14 PM

My Mini 9: Obsidian Black / OS X / 32GB STEC / 2GB HyperX / Bluetooth
  (#7) Old

Default Re: What is the smallest (footprint size) external hard drive? - 04-04-2009, 06:27 PM

your link goes to the newegg homepage! Which item was it?
  (#8) Old
Super Moderator

Default Re: What is the smallest (footprint size) external hard drive? - 04-04-2009, 06:30 PM

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/cate ... e&~ck=anav

Adamo external drives are pretty looking but pricey! :shock:

(#9) Old
Retired Mini user

Default Re: What is the smallest (footprint size) external hard drive? - 04-04-2009, 06:50 PM

...and they won't work with a Dell Mini.

They're not USB, they're SATA.

Getting an iPad
  (#10) Old

Default Re: What is the smallest (footprint size) external hard drive? - 04-05-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm
your link goes to the newegg homepage! Which item was it?
That's intereesting. Goes to the right product page for me.

Go to newegg and search item number N82E16822136340

My Mini 9: Obsidian Black / OS X / 32GB STEC / 2GB HyperX / Bluetooth

« GPS navigation software thread | VGA to S-Video adapter »