External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#1) Old

Default Plastic case for spare SSD? - 03-16-2009, 07:30 PM

I've been on the hunt lately for a small plastic case for an SSD (kind of like the ones that come with an SD card) so I can easily pack the spare I have (picked up on the forsale forum - thanks MyDellMini) so I can swap out easily if I ever have a failure on the road (knocks on wood!) Any ideas/suggestions for something that has been re-purposed for this?

Thanks,
Joe
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Plastic case for spare SSD? - 03-17-2009, 01:53 AM

For my spare SSD, I use a plastic 3M case made for 3.5" floppy disk. I put the SSD into the anti-static bag, then into the floppy case and it fits nicely, doesn't move around. Something like THIS.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Plastic case for spare SSD? - 03-17-2009, 02:26 AM

Thanks for the reply Fallstar. That looks like it would do the trick, but I was looking for something that was a "perfect fit". That seems a little oversized, and since my main target with the mini is "small", I was looking for something along the lines of an oversize Memory Stick case (tried one - a little too small), or ...?

Joe
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Plastic case for spare SSD? - 03-17-2009, 02:41 AM

How about something like an Altoids Mint container, or Altoids gum? I think, as long as you leave the SSD in its anti-static bag, that should protect it from movement inside the container. Oh, there are also small cases made to hold multiple SD cards...I have one from Lowepro, but it has a rubbery interior with cut-outs for the SD cards (can't be removed). I found THIS pouch from Lowepro that looks tall enough to hold some SD cards plus a mini SSD.
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Plastic case for spare SSD? - 03-18-2009, 04:59 PM

O.K. Here is what I ended up with: I bought a Kingston 2G micro/mini/sd card/adapters at FRYs and cut out some of the individual risers inside to make it empty. The SSD card fits pretty well, and I can put it in my TimBuk2 case with the mini and power supply and not notice it. I'm trying to attach the pics.

Joe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0352 (Small).JPG (44.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0350 (Small).JPG (50.5 KB, 13 views)
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Plastic case for spare SSD? - 03-18-2009, 07:23 PM

You're right, it's a nice fit! I've never bought/seen the larger card holders, since I only have a couple of smaller (single card) containers. How did you cut out the risers? Also, don't forget to add a small screwdriver to your case, if you don't already have one.
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Plastic case for spare SSD? - 03-18-2009, 08:49 PM

Good call on the screwdriver! I used to carry a pen-shaped utility device (different screwdriver ends etc.) until a TSA guy at a checkpoint looked at my bag for 3-4 minutes, and then finally said "this thing looks like a 50 caliber bullet in the x-ray machine" (!!) I guess I need to find something smaller. I cut the risers out with a pair of snips, kind of like small, spring-loaded pliers but with cutting edges for the ends. (don't have a pic) and then had to sand them down with sandpaper. I left the outer-most risers since they hold it in the center pretty well. It was not real cost effective for $14 but I can use the 2G card anyway.

Joe

« New Lacie USB imakey USB Key Drive | Cool balls (a cheap way to reduce heat) »