External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#1) Old

Default Portable monitor? - 03-12-2009, 06:14 PM

So I have been kicking around the idea of creating a sort of briefcase buildout for my mini. I would like to use my mini as my primary PC as I do almost all of my work away home and on terminal servers (I even run one at home).

Besides the cramped keyboard (which I DO not mind when I am mobile with the unit) the screen is a little small for me to use for extended periods of time. I knew this before I bought it, but decided the ultra mobility and small form factor and expandability of the Mini 9 was more important than the extra inch or 3 that a mini 10 or 12 could get me.

Sometimes, however, I know that I am going to be stationary (like in an office at a desk) for an extended period of time and would love to have a more "full laptop" type experience. I am going to get a collapsible bluetooth keyboard for that side of things, but what are your suggestions for a portable lcd monitor? I've tried google for a few days but havent found anything suitable. I don't need anything huge, 15" seems reasonable (enough of a " gain over the mini's 9" to make it worth it but small enough to fit in a bag or briefcase). I figure I could even mount it to the inside of a briefcase lid and use the briefcase as my carrying case for the mini and the bluetooth keyboard and mouse while I'm at it!

And of course i dont want to pay an arm and a leg for it And no, where I go does not usually have lcd screens i could bogard while i'm there.
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Portable monitor? - 03-12-2009, 07:39 PM

as always seems to be the case, after I posted this I seem to have come up with a solution...

http://www.kdsusa.com/KS-19mws.asp

it is a little larger than I wanted, but it is also very slim, very nice looking, has a stand on it, has a video out so I could even hook it to projectors for presentations without disconnecting it from the dell mini, built-in speaker to add a kick to the internal mini's speaker...

and it's $145 which is a great price... and with the dell mini it still weighs in at less than a 19" laptop weighs.

Seems like the best of both worlds... 19" nice lcd when i know i am going to be stationary... awesome dell mini 9 standalone when I'm out and about and need mobility!

i'd still love to hear people's thoughts and opinions.

I found a bag that will fit the equiment as well... http://www.provantage.com/dicota-n16178p~7DICO01Q.htm

« Hard case for Mini9? | Bluetooth USB versus internal? »