External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#1) Old

Default Waterproof cover - 03-03-2009, 04:15 PM

I am looking for a waterproof cover for my mini. I coach HS soccer and we use an electronic scorebook. In the past, I've used a larger notebook and had a manager keep stats in the stadium pressbox. That has worked well when we're at home, but not when we're on the road. With the Mini, the computer is small enough to have on the bench because it seems easier to keep it dry.

Has anybody seen a purpose-built waterproof solution for using the Mini outdoors?

I have tested large ziplock bags - they will work if necessary, but I think I'd prefer something with a sturdier closure.

Thanks!

Vince

PS I've been a lurker for a while - thanks for all of the info I've gleaned from you guys!
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Waterproof cover - 03-03-2009, 06:14 PM

There are waterproof bags meant to hold cameras and other gear for outdoor enthusiasts (canoeing, sailing, etc.). I'm not sure how easy it would be to use the keyboard in these, as the plastic is usually thicker, but maybe it would work for you. You can find these at most "outdoor gear" retailers.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Waterproof cover - 03-03-2009, 06:20 PM

There's also Pelican cases made just for laptops, although using the laptop while in the case might make it prone to overheating, since it sits within the (customizable) foam padding. Link to Pelican Cases.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Waterproof cover - 03-03-2009, 07:38 PM

I think you could improvise with a large plastic CLEAR kitchen garbage bag. Your scorekeeper/manager should be sitting under an umbrella anyways. The garbage bag solution allows the users hands to be directly on the keyboard, if necessary, or to type and view through the clear plastic.

Another idea worth experimenting with would be to improve the Mini's own water resistance. The keyboard removes easily, and the two easy portals of entry for little drips to get inside the case from the top would be around the power button and around the keyboard. Not much to do about the power switch, but a piece of clear tape over the top of it would be spiffy. The keybord could be removed, wrapped in plastic, seated snug, and thus eliminate the edge of the keyboard as an entry point for water to the mainboard. Nothing to do about water getting in through vents, ports, and other holes, so this is pretty much worthless.

The clear plastic 33gal garbage bag solution is probably as good as anything else. But don't skimp on the umbrella-chair for the scorekeeper/manager.

His: Obsidian Mini-9: Karmic UNR w/ Vbox-XP, 2gb, 32gb STEC, 16gb Transcend(6), US-INTL, sgpstore carbon
Hers: Arctic Mini-9: Dell Ubuntu, 1gb, 16gb STEC, 8gb SDHC(6)
Are you a Help Vampire?
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Waterproof cover - 03-03-2009, 07:57 PM

Thanks for the replies!

A plastic bag of some sort seems most likely to work. The gear bags seem the most readily available option - keyboard access isn't crucial (I don't need to "type" though I need to be able to press the number keys). Trackpad access is important, and it does seem to work through a normal gallon ziplock.

The Pelican case is a great option for storage and transport - I'm a pro photographer and know Pelican WELL (In fact I use them for much of my gear during the season), but I need to operate the mini during the rain.

AK Dave, the open plastic bag isn't a terrible idea for some of our games, but we play in some miserable conditions. We use large clear plastic garbage bags to keep our paper scorebook dry when we're on the road with mixed success. I'd be worried about the mini in one.

And believe me, we treat our staff right! It's our opponents who leave us out in the cold (so to speak) when we visit them.

I also have a lead on a potential custom solution, so I will keep people posted as that plays itself out.

Thanks!
Vince
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Waterproof cover - 03-03-2009, 08:18 PM

What about sealing the Mini in a large ziplock, and then using an external bluetooth mouse?

His: Obsidian Mini-9: Karmic UNR w/ Vbox-XP, 2gb, 32gb STEC, 16gb Transcend(6), US-INTL, sgpstore carbon
Are you a Help Vampire?
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Waterproof cover - 03-04-2009, 02:15 AM

That is plan A at the moment. The good news is that the touchpad works through the Ziplock, although we're often wearing gloves, so the bluetooth mouse will probably win the day when it's REALLY cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Dave
What about sealing the Mini in a large ziplock, and then using an external bluetooth mouse?
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Waterproof cover - 03-04-2009, 05:19 PM

The big gallon ziplock freezer bags with the triple-zip enclosure are really sturdy and waterproof. Good closure. I use those bags for freezing soup stock.

Are you a Help Vampire?

« Belkin Cush Top | How to get a TechAir Netbook Backpack in/to the US? »