External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#1) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to MoInSTL Send a message via MSN to MoInSTL Send a message via Yahoo to MoInSTL
Default Belkin Cush Top - 02-27-2009, 04:06 PM

Protects your lap from a hot laptop
Uniquely designed for comfortable laptop use on the couch, bed, or floor
Features high-quality, furniture-like upholstery
Provides convenient storage pocket for your power supply and mouse

This isn't cushy like a pillow, it is pretty stiff, but comfortable. It raises the height (gets it off my thickest Linux book) and is more gently sloped than the pictures. Keeps my lap cooler and no sliding around. Mini sits quite firmly in place. I like the size as there is plenty of space for my wrists. If it were smaller it wouldn't really sit squarely over the legs. Haven't tried it in bed or the floor but it works great on the couch and recommend it. Use the pocket for storing the cord.

I also found it for sale at Target for $19.99 but I had a credit at New Egg so I got the gray one for the same price. Other colors are $21.99.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834998474

Belkin: http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductP ... _Id=472656

Studio 15 1558| Black Chainlink| i5-520M, |4GB RAM |500 GB HD@7200 |ATI HD 4570, 512K|Backlit|9 Cell|Web Cam|Windows 7 Professional x64
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Belkin Cush Top - 03-02-2009, 08:32 PM

Thats really thick and bulky, but I could see keeping one of those next to the cushy lazyboy in my living room to use as a laptop table or a popcorn table. Usually I just grab one of my wife's cushy pretty decorative-but-otherwise-useless pillows from the end of the couch where they congregate and multiply like little bunnies.

His: Obsidian Mini-9: Karmic UNR w/ Vbox-XP, 2gb, 32gb STEC, 16gb Transcend(6), US-INTL, sgpstore carbon
Hers: Arctic Mini-9: Dell Ubuntu, 1gb, 16gb STEC, 8gb SDHC(6)
Are you a Help Vampire?
  (#3) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to MoInSTL Send a message via MSN to MoInSTL Send a message via Yahoo to MoInSTL
Default Re: Belkin Cush Top - 03-02-2009, 08:51 PM

It's not as bad as it looks. As I mentioned in my post, if it were smaller it wouldn't really cover both legs. I use it on my coffee table and on the couch. I like that the mini is kept firmly in place and will work on a pretty steep angle (like when I cross my legs) without moving. I don't know how well it would work in a recliner but it doesn't sink in like cushions and therefore keeps it cooler. When I am finished with it I just stand it on its side next to an end table. You could just stand it next to your recliner. If you happen to be at Target you could try one out. When I saw one there I was rather nonplussed with it, but in use it functions very well.

Studio 15 1558| Black Chainlink| i5-520M, |4GB RAM |500 GB HD@7200 |ATI HD 4570, 512K|Backlit|9 Cell|Web Cam|Windows 7 Professional x64
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Belkin Cush Top - 03-03-2009, 01:25 PM

I have one that I keep right next to the LazyBoy with my Thinkpad always on top. That's how I do most of my web surfing at home. It's the perfect size, height and angle for holding a notebook comp on my lap. I also keep a folded Laptopdesk between the cushtop and my computer (I already had the laptopdesk, this is the best place to store it and it keeps the comp running cooler). I've tried various lap desk type thingies and I really like this one the best. I can store my external hard drive inside the cushtop when not using it - a small added benefit.

Obsidian Mini9 - Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope 9.04 (Full version) with Cairo Dock, 16GB Runcore SSD, 1GB RAM, 8GB SDHC Class 6, Bluetooth (dongle), Burl Walnut skin
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Belkin Cush Top - 03-03-2009, 07:23 PM

I'm shopping for NAS solutions to replace the "external hard drive shuffle". Looks like the Netgear ReadyNAS Duo is going to be the winner.

I'm going to look for one of these Cush Tops next time I'm at Target. Conveniently there is one just a few hundred yards outside the fence, right on my way home, so I might be there tonight.

His: Obsidian Mini-9: Karmic UNR w/ Vbox-XP, 2gb, 32gb STEC, 16gb Transcend(6), US-INTL, sgpstore carbon
Hers: Arctic Mini-9: Dell Ubuntu, 1gb, 16gb STEC, 8gb SDHC(6)
Are you a Help Vampire?
  (#6) Old
Super Moderator

Default Re: Belkin Cush Top - 03-04-2009, 01:13 AM

I hope you picked one up because just checking it out in the store isn't impressive.

« Check out my Mod... Skin = expensive sticker | Waterproof cover »