External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#11) Old

Default Re: Bluetooth USB versus internal? - 03-10-2009, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster
Curious exactly what you guys use the BT for? I have a dongle I used on my PC to transfer songs, images, etc to my cell - until I got a usb card adapter to do it faster and easier. Can't imagine what other uses it would have.
I haven't taken the plunge yet, but my idea was to use BT for mouse, Skype and listening to MP3s.

This would mean three devices: a mouse, a Skype headset, and music headphones. (Maybe the last two can be combined?)

What has delayed me jumping in is the outrageous price for BT compatible peripherals, and compatibility issues. I have read a lot about battery drain, too, when BT is installed. I feel like buying mail order, which will save money, will also complicate returning any items that don't work.

I would love to get rid of all of these wires that I am using that are getting tangled up in my backpack, but BT may still be a good theory that isn't ready for prime time... (I mean a USB optical mouse is $5, and a BT one is > $30 here at Bestbuy, for instance.)

-- Matt

Matt Garvin
http://www.redfrogconsulting.com
Red Mini 10v, WinXP, BT 2.1, 120GB HD
  (#12) Old

Default Re: Bluetooth USB versus internal? - 03-10-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetlover
Has anyone tried to use the $2.62 BT dongle from Dealextreme? http://dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11866

I'm wondering if Ubuntu will recognize this natively, a driver needs to be downloaded, or it's incompatible.

I'm only thinking of using it for BT mouse maybe - for $2.62 shipped, seems worth a chance!
I bought two of these from dealextreme and they do work under Dell Ubuntu and XP.
cheers,
-frank
  (#13) Old

Default Re: Bluetooth USB versus internal? - 03-14-2009, 10:23 PM

If you have this as an external plugin, then over time it is prone to being knocked about and eventually damaging your USB port. I have seen this happen with USB wireless mice (but not BT) adapters. If you are not going to use BT frequently: USB plugin is fine, but if you are going to use it almost all the time (e.g. BT mouse or headphones), definitely get internal. Any additional cost for internal is far far far worth it.
  (#14) Old

Default Re: Bluetooth USB versus internal? - 03-15-2009, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgarvin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster
Curious exactly what you guys use the BT for? I have a dongle I used on my PC to transfer songs, images, etc to my cell - until I got a usb card adapter to do it faster and easier. Can't imagine what other uses it would have.
What has delayed me jumping in is the outrageous price for BT compatible peripherals, and compatibility issues. I have read a lot about battery drain, too, when BT is installed. I feel like buying mail order, which will save money, will also complicate returning any items that don't work.
-- Matt
I would agree with that. I know when i used BT on my cell - the battery ran down much faster than without it. I found the hassles of getting it to pair with my PC were not worth the effort, and just pull the microSD card from the cell and plug it into a USB card reader. One click wipe and renew with videos, graphics, music, etc.

I would expect the battery issues to be the case with a netbook as well ... but not owning one yet could not say conclusively. If Dell ever gets their heads out of their butts - I may be able to find out first hand.
  (#15) Old

Default Re: Bluetooth USB versus internal? - 03-15-2009, 03:08 PM

I have one of these: http://www.focalprice.com/detail.aspx?pid=412
and use it to pair with a Logitech 470 bluetooth mouse. Inexpensive and works great for that.

There have been a few times I've gone downstairs with my mini and mouse only to have forgotten to bring along the dongle and had to run back to my bag to fetch it. And I do wonder about losing the dongle because it's so small. So I have thought about getting an internal module so I don't have to think about it.

Mini-9 | 2 GB RAM | 32 GB RunCore | 1.3 Mp Webcam

« Portable monitor? | Car Headrest mount »