External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#1) Old

Default Coolguard from Viewguard - 02-18-2009, 04:51 PM

Well stumbled across this deal at anandtech forums. Viewguard is selling a cooling pad for laptops similar to the thermaltake pad. Its a pad with crystalline substance that absorbs heat and eventually turns to gel..then back to the crystals once all the heat has been removed. It does not plug into anything. They wanted 39.99 but had a 30 dollar off coupon and I used the free cleaning supplies coupon in addition to that. Shipping is high from them but oh well, basically cost me 20 dollars for some cleaning wipes and the mat itself.

I'll test it out more over the next few days....but my initial impression is that this thing actually does work. As I type now the palm rest on my mini is mildly warm to the touch...yet the bottom is as cold as it can get. I'm going to go watch something on hulu for a while...that always raises the temps up pretty good to see how it handles that. But so far so good!

Edit: Watched four episodes on hulu...the bottom got to be slightly warm but this is the coolest it has ever been while watching shows on hulu. I'll try out my other mini and use core temp to see if I can measure a temp difference there. Just so we can put a number to it.

http://www.buyviewguard.com

Coupon: BEATTHEHEAT for 30 dollars off, FREECLEANINGSUPPLIES for a few alcohol wipes.
  (#2) Old

Send a message via AIM to Digital_716 Send a message via MSN to Digital_716
Default Re: Coolguard from Viewguard - 02-19-2009, 08:06 PM

I got a screen protector off ebay for $7.99 total. It fits the screen perfect and came 3 days after I ordered.http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=350136081689

(#3) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Coolguard from Viewguard - 02-19-2009, 09:41 PM

I don't see this cooling pad on the Viewguard web site index. If I searched, I found it at http://www.buyviewguard.com/cooling-pad ... d=CG-00052

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Coolguard from Viewguard - 02-19-2009, 10:41 PM

yea its a bit odd....on the mat itself it says something about buycoolguard.com but that site doesnt work. Maybe they haven't got around to registering/setting up the site.

And what does a screen protector off of ebay have to do with a cooling matt posted here? Congrats, you bought a knock off screen protector for 7.99 which has nothing to do with the cooling matt we are discussing here. :roll:
  (#5) Old

Send a message via AIM to Digital_716 Send a message via MSN to Digital_716
Default Re: Coolguard from Viewguard - 02-20-2009, 02:25 AM

I clicked the link with out reading the post and figured it was about screen protectors. I don't think something is a "knockoff" just because I got it for less then another site has them for. :lol:

(#6) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Coolguard from Viewguard - 03-01-2009, 02:00 AM

I got the Coolguard. It's sized for a full-size notebook but it works with the Mini on the short side. It does work - it absorbs heat from the bottom of the Mini which felt quite a bit cooler after use than it normally does. What I'm less certain of is its effect on system or CPU temperatures. I think CoreTemp may have shown a reduction in 4-5C, which is nothing to sneeze at. It's a keeper.

Steve
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Coolguard from Viewguard - 03-02-2009, 08:36 PM

Does 5C of temperature management allow the Atom to be overclocked?

The claim of extended battery life through passive cooling is moot for the Mini, as it has no internal fans or other spinny parts. Might be nice for my older Gateway laptop, which can be used to grill cheese sandwiches like a Foreman Grill, but I'm usually more concerned with obstructing airflow.

His: Obsidian Mini-9: Karmic UNR w/ Vbox-XP, 2gb, 32gb STEC, 16gb Transcend(6), US-INTL, sgpstore carbon
Hers: Arctic Mini-9: Dell Ubuntu, 1gb, 16gb STEC, 8gb SDHC(6)
Are you a Help Vampire?
  (#8) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Coolguard from Viewguard - 03-02-2009, 08:42 PM

I am not aware of a way to overclock the Atom in the Mini 9 and I really don't think it will buy you much if you did. The lower temperature may lead to longer life for the components and reduce thermal throttling of the CPU, though I have never seen mine get in danger of that.

Steve
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Coolguard from Viewguard - 03-03-2009, 06:38 PM

The inability to overclock the Atom in the first place was part of my excessively subtle attempt at sarcasm. I fails.

Put it another way:
Since the Atom can't be overclocked (as we use it in the Mini) and the hardware itself doesn't seem to have a heat problem, it just doesn't seem that important for the Mini.

But for my older Gateway laptop with the dual-core Phenom, the improvised Foreman Grill, this is necessary should I ever decide to wear polyester pants and put it directly on my lap while watching streaming YouTube video.

His: Obsidian Mini-9: Karmic UNR w/ Vbox-XP, 2gb, 32gb STEC, 16gb Transcend(6), US-INTL, sgpstore carbon
Hers: Arctic Mini-9: Dell Ubuntu, 1gb, 16gb STEC, 8gb SDHC(6)
Are you a Help Vampire?
  (#10) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Coolguard from Viewguard - 03-03-2009, 11:51 PM

Ok. I do like to keep components reasonably cool to extend their life. The bottom of the Mini does get fairly warm. Besides, it was only $10 plus shipping....

Steve

« smallest sleave with handles and outer pocket | What's the best way to share speakers between two systems? »