External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#1) Old

Default SDHC cheapies = duds? - 02-17-2009, 05:14 PM

Reading on this forum I have seen it recommended to stick an SDHC card in the Mini 9's slot for "permanent" storage of data, leaving the SSD for the OS and programs. This makes sense, so I started doing research. I ran into this quote by a dissatisfied reviewer on newegg who bought a faulty "Transcend 16GB Secure Digital High-Capacity (SDHC) Flash Card" which I was thinking of buying:
Quote:
Here's some food for thought: Seems like the high capacity (16gb+) SDHC cards are only being released by the smaller companies for cheaper (Patriot, Transcend, A-Data, etc), especially at a faster speed rating (6). The other more well known companies such as Kingston and Sandisk, still do not have a high capacity + high speed card to date. Sandisk finally released their 16 and 32 gb versions just a month back, but they only come in Class 4 (Extreme II). According to Sandisk, a high capacity card (formatted to FAT32) WITH a high-speed chipset is unstable.

This makes you wonder how and why these other companies are managing to make these 16GB cards with such a high rate of speed. Well I hard to find out the hard way. Even though you pay more for the "Sandisk" or "Kingston" name, should it make a $60 difference other than the brand? This Transcend card is now going for about $70, while the Sandisk's SLOWER version is going for $130...
[From "anonymous" on 6/25/2008, see http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductRe ... &Keywords= halfway down]

Any thoughts on this?

This thread here is what got me started on this: sd-cards--t113.html

Thanks,
Matt

Matt Garvin
http://www.redfrogconsulting.com
Red Mini 10v, WinXP, BT 2.1, 120GB HD
  (#2) Old

Default Re: SDHC cheapies = duds? - 02-19-2009, 09:18 PM

I've seen that review too. I have two of the 16GB Patriot SDHC cards and have experienced no problems with them. They're pretty quick too.

Edit: That reviewer makes a leap from one bad card of one brand to assuming that all cards from many brands will be defective. He is also assuming that Sandisk have no motive for trying to sell their cards for twice as much as other brands!

Black Mini 9 2GB/64GB - XP
White Mini 9 2GB/4GB - UNR 9.10
  (#3) Old

Default Re: SDHC cheapies = duds? - 02-23-2009, 05:54 PM

Thanks for the reply. And thanks for mentioning your experience with the "16GB Patriot SDHC", maybe I will go with them? (My research continues.)

Regarding the reviewer's "leap", I have mixed feelings.

On the one hand, it is impossible to draw any serious conclusions from his own experience, which has a sample size of one. But! I have read over many reviews on SDHCs now on newegg and elsewhere, and I do feel confident that the reputations of Kingston and Sandisk in particular are higher than the other companies. So the spirit of what he is saying which is "there may be a reason these 'reputable' companies do not offer 'maxed out' products like the 'less reputable' companies do" seems sensible to me.

- Matt

Matt Garvin
  (#4) Old

Default Re: SDHC cheapies = duds? - 02-23-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgarvin
I ran into this quote by a dissatisfied reviewer on newegg who bought a faulty "Transcend 16GB Secure Digital High-Capacity (SDHC) Flash Card" which I was thinking of buying:
I have had this card for about 4 weeks now and it has been working just fine. YMMV
  (#5) Old

Default Re: SDHC cheapies = duds? - 02-28-2009, 08:12 PM

FWIW, all three of those companies have fine reputations in the memory field. Patriot especially makes excellent ram modules - I have them in my home built desktop with zero problems. I would not be averse to buying Sd cards from them at all.

One review doesn't mean much to me personally - you will always find at least one guy with an issue about almost anything.
  (#6) Old

Default Re: SDHC cheapies = duds? - 03-01-2009, 11:10 PM

There's an awful lot of good reviews on that Transcend 16 GB SDHC. They make that USB reader as well. I'd be willing to take the chance. I've always been partial to Sandisk but I'm going to take the plunge and buy a 8 GB Trsanscend with USB reader so I can use it in my Canon point and shoot as well as look at pics on the mini. If it works well, I might buy the 16 GB. There's a review on Amazon where a guy posts read write speeds he's getting with the 16 GB and they look promising.
  (#7) Old

Default Re: SDHC cheapies = duds? - 03-02-2009, 12:04 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone.

You know what? I am no longer worried about getting a dud because I found some Patriot 16Gb Class 6 available here in Toronto (where I live) for only a small amount of $$ more than the cost at Newegg.

So, with the potential hassle of getting faulty stuff mailed being removed, I am not worried. I will still report back here what my impressions of the memory is. This is what I am going to try:

Quote:
Patriot Signature SDHC 16GB Secure Digital High Capacity Class 6 Card (PSF16GSDHC6)
The reviews at Newegg are generally pretty good so it will likely be fine.

- Matt

Matt Garvin
  (#8) Old

Default Re: SDHC cheapies = duds? - 03-02-2009, 04:02 PM

Ok, I bought it.

My Patriot SDHC is in and I am in the process of moving my data files over to it. I am going to use it as a "semi-permanent drive" as others here have recommended.

So far so good.

Matt Garvin
  (#9) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to MoInSTL Send a message via MSN to MoInSTL Send a message via Yahoo to MoInSTL
Default Re: SDHC cheapies = duds? - 03-02-2009, 05:47 PM

I realize you already have your SDHC card but I wanted to add my 2 cents for others who may read this thread. I have both the Transcend 16GB, class 6 SDHC and 2GB Transcend PC2 6400 RAM.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820208410
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820208407

In the past I have bought OCZ, Kingston, Crucial and Mushkin and had never heard of Transcend. So far, the RAM runs cool and the card works flawlessly. I set up my card to be seen by Windows as a second HD.

Studio 15 1558| Black Chainlink| i5-520M, |4GB RAM |500 GB HD@7200 |ATI HD 4570, 512K|Backlit|9 Cell|Web Cam|Windows 7 Professional x64
  (#10) Old

Default Re: SDHC cheapies = duds? - 03-02-2009, 10:49 PM

Anyone used a 32gb SDHC in their Mini?

His: Obsidian Mini-9: Karmic UNR w/ Vbox-XP, 2gb, 32gb STEC, 16gb Transcend(6), US-INTL, sgpstore carbon
Hers: Arctic Mini-9: Dell Ubuntu, 1gb, 16gb STEC, 8gb SDHC(6)
Are you a Help Vampire?

« 32GB USB $45 Shipped (after $20 Rebate) | External DVD, Flash Drive, RAM, and WiFi questions »