External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#31) Old

Default Re: SDHC cheapies = duds? - 03-11-2009, 05:19 PM

Just to be a little on-topic for this thread, the 16gb Transcend class-6 SDHC that I recently bought on Amazon lives up to its specs: full 16gb usable, class-6 speeds. It is at least as fast as the STEC SSD in my Mini, and perhaps faster on short stretches. Moving 100-200mb files, I clock >20mb/sec. Smaller files are too fast to clock. Larger files, CD iso size (600-700mb) the transfer rate slows to 14-16mb/sec. Huge files, DVD iso size (3.5-4mb) it slows even further (10-12mb/sec). It doesn't handle multiple simultaneous transfers well at all, which is probably indicates the rate-limiting factor is the bus.

16gb for <$40 with shipping. I'll call that a "cheapie" and its definately not a dud. Strongly recommend that if you're going to buy an SD card, buy a good one from a reputable source and avoid the whole fake SD eBay gamble. You might get a good one, you probably won't, and good luck getting your money back.

His: Obsidian Mini-9: Karmic UNR w/ Vbox-XP, 2gb, 32gb STEC, 16gb Transcend(6), US-INTL, sgpstore carbon
Hers: Arctic Mini-9: Dell Ubuntu, 1gb, 16gb STEC, 8gb SDHC(6)
Are you a Help Vampire?
  (#32) Old

Default Re: SDHC cheapies = duds? - 03-11-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Dave
Just to be a little on-topic for this thread, the 16gb Transcend class-6 SDHC that I recently bought on Amazon lives up to its specs: full 16gb usable, class-6 speeds. It is at least as fast as the STEC SSD in my Mini, and perhaps faster on short stretches. Moving 100-200mb files, I clock >20mb/sec. Smaller files are too fast to clock. Larger files, CD iso size (600-700mb) the transfer rate slows to 14-16mb/sec. Huge files, DVD iso size (3.5-4mb) it slows even further (10-12mb/sec). It doesn't handle multiple simultaneous transfers well at all, which is probably indicates the rate-limiting factor is the bus.

16gb for <$40 with shipping. I'll call that a "cheapie" and its definately not a dud. Strongly recommend that if you're going to buy an SD card, buy a good one from a reputable source and avoid the whole fake SD eBay gamble. You might get a good one, you probably won't, and good luck getting your money back.

Perfectly on-topic :lol: thanks, useful!
I just bought a 16Gb Patriot on newegg.ca. I'll let you know how it performs .....

Sorry, English in not my first language :-\

Dell mini 9, runs on Ubuntu 8.10
(also owns an Aspire one, but well... :-)
  (#33) Old

Default Re: SDHC cheapies = duds? - 03-12-2009, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Just to be a little on-topic for this thread, the 16gb Transcend class-6 SDHC that I recently bought on Amazon lives up to its specs: full 16gb usable, class-6 speeds.
Same with the "Patriot Signature SDHC 16GB Secure Digital High Capacity Class 6 Card (PSF16GSDHC6)" I bought. It was a cheapie in price, but it has been over a week and so far works like a charm.

- Matt

Matt Garvin
http://www.redfrogconsulting.com
Red Mini 10v, WinXP, BT 2.1, 120GB HD
  (#34) Old

Default Re: SDHC cheapies = duds? - 03-12-2009, 05:15 PM

Quote:
SD cards come as FAT, often FAT16, for compatability with generic devices, thus the cryptic alphanumeric filenames that cameras like to use for photo files. MS says that FAT32 is proprietary and patented, thus the spurious allegations in their lawsuit with TomTom.

I'd actually recommend ext2 for SD cards, if you don't care about camera compatability, and if you're stuck with XP you can install a driver that allows XP to work with ext2.

Why not ntfs? Its a journaled file system, and not a particularly great one at that, but the mere fact that it is journaling increases the system overhead and causes additional read/write cycles which leads to inefficiencies with flash memory usage and mostly just leads to theoretically faster burnout. Flash memory has a finite number of erase cycles.

Why not ext3? Isn't it faster? Ext3 is journaled, for which aspects of it can be turned off, but what makes ext3 faster is how its journaling can optimize drive head motion. That edge is moot with flash memory. One of the linux tweaks to ext3 that really seems to make a difference on the Mini is the "noatime, nodiratime, journal-data-writeback" bit. This tweak is not recommended for filesystems used in a system that does not have solid battery backup (anything used with AC-only power).
How did you format your SDHC? Gnome Partition Editor doesn't see the card
thanks

(#35) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to MoInSTL Send a message via MSN to MoInSTL Send a message via Yahoo to MoInSTL
Default Re: SDHC cheapies = duds? - 03-13-2009, 08:53 PM

yooy, did you download the driver?

Studio 15 1558| Black Chainlink| i5-520M, |4GB RAM |500 GB HD@7200 |ATI HD 4570, 512K|Backlit|9 Cell|Web Cam|Windows 7 Professional x64
  (#36) Old

Default Re: SDHC cheapies = duds? - 03-14-2009, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoInSTL
yooy, did you download the driver?
Sorry,my question wasn't clear. Actually, my mini is running ubuntu and the SDHC card works very well but I want to format the card in ext2 instead of fat32 (cf. the post of AK Dave)

but I don't know how... The disk utility (gnome partition editor) doesn't see the card even if it works very well.

I don't think that it's a driver problem. Am I wrong?

sorry for my english, it's so late and I'm so tired :roll:

(#37) Old

Default SDHC Card from Micro Center? - 03-18-2009, 10:55 PM

Anyone have any experience with the "IPSG" sdhc cards from Micro Center? Class 6 card... 16gb... $26.99.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0304661
  (#38) Old

Default Re: SDHC cheapies = duds? - 03-26-2009, 11:07 PM

With the class 6 cards out ...I still havent found anything better than the Scandisk Extreme III cards which read and Write and 20mbs.. most just read at 19 and are far less at write.. How fast is the HD at write and read?
  (#39) Old

Send a message via MSN to ChazB Send a message via Skype™ to ChazB
Default Re: SDHC cheapies = duds? - 03-31-2009, 03:08 AM

For any Canadians that are interested, Newegg.ca has a Kingston 32GB Class 4 SDHC card for $84. Seems like the best price on a good SDHC card. Is there THAT much difference between a Class 4 and a Class 6 to warrant a smaller Class 6 card? My Mini should be shipping soon (I hope) and I want to get a card before it comes.

| Dell Mini 10 | Product Red Edition | 1.6GHz | 1.3MP | 160GB SATA HDD | Bluetooth | 802.11n | Windows 7 Ultimate |
| Dell Mini 10v | Obsidian Black | 1.6GHz | 2GB Kingston HyperX | 1.3MP | 160GB SATA HDD | Bluetooth | 802.11n | Windows 7 Ultimate |

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines. - Unknown

Before Elvis, there was nothing. - John Lennon
  (#40) Old

Default Re: SDHC Card from Micro Center? - 04-12-2009, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPF_Zero
Anyone have any experience with the "IPSG" sdhc cards from Micro Center? Class 6 card... 16gb... $26.99.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0304661

FYI, I just benchmarked it and it is coming in at 10 mb/s write and 20 mb/s read.

« 32GB USB $45 Shipped (after $20 Rebate) | External DVD, Flash Drive, RAM, and WiFi questions »