External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#21) Old

Default Re: SDHC cheapies = duds? - 03-10-2009, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster
Appreciate it if someone could clear this up for me ... I got the impression from other comments here and there that the only way you could use an SD card in a mini was if you got the WWan card built in? Am I confused here, or how does this work?
WWAN is wireless connectivity to the Internet, there is (or was according to some comments) a built-in reader behind the battery.

The subject here is the SD/SDHD / MMC card reader on the left side of the mini. This one only reads memory flash. WWAN and SD cards looks alike but are very different.

Sorry, English in not my first language :-\

Dell mini 9, runs on Ubuntu 8.10
(also owns an Aspire one, but well... :-)
  (#22) Old

Default Re: SDHC cheapies = duds? - 03-10-2009, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Appreciate it if someone could clear this up for me ... I got the impression from other comments here and there that the only way you could use an SD card in a mini was if you got the WWan card built in? Am I confused here, or how does this work?
Sounds like you are confusing micro-SD cards with SIM cards. They are superficially similar, particularly in size and shape.

A SIM card is needed for WWAN (same as you need one for a GSM 'phone); when you have the WWAN card there is also SIM card slot accessible from inside the battery compartment.

SD cards, including mini-SD cards and micro-SD cards with suitable adapters, can be used in the SD card slot in the left side of any Mini 9. This includes the higher capacity SDHC variants of these cards.

Black Mini 9 2GB/64GB - XP
White Mini 9 2GB/4GB - UNR 9.10
  (#23) Old

Default Re: SDHC cheapies = duds? - 03-11-2009, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yooy
Quote:
The subject here is the SD/SDHD / MMC card reader on the left side of the mini. This one only reads memory flash. WWAN and SD cards looks alike but are very different.
Well no kidding ... that's what I was asking about.
  (#24) Old

Default Re: SDHC cheapies = duds? - 03-11-2009, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisg
Quote:
Sounds like you are confusing micro-SD cards with SIM cards. They are superficially similar, particularly in size and shape.
No - no confusion at all.

Quote:
SD cards, including mini-SD cards and micro-SD cards with suitable adapters, can be used in the SD card slot in the left side of any Mini 9. This includes the higher capacity SDHC variants of these cards.
That was what I was asking. So you can plugin a SD card without the WWAN issue. That's all I needed to know. Thanks.
  (#25) Old

Default Re: SDHC cheapies = duds? - 03-11-2009, 12:48 AM

I don't understand what using a micro-SD card has to do with whether or not WWAN works.

His: Obsidian Mini-9: Karmic UNR w/ Vbox-XP, 2gb, 32gb STEC, 16gb Transcend(6), US-INTL, sgpstore carbon
Hers: Arctic Mini-9: Dell Ubuntu, 1gb, 16gb STEC, 8gb SDHC(6)
Are you a Help Vampire?
  (#26) Old

Default Re: SDHC cheapies = duds? - 03-11-2009, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Dave
I don't understand what using a micro-SD card has to do with whether or not WWAN works.
Nothing. Nothing at all.

Black Mini 9 2GB/64GB - XP
White Mini 9 2GB/4GB - UNR 9.10
  (#27) Old

Default Re: SDHC cheapies = duds? - 03-11-2009, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Just this ... a number of posts concerning the use of SD cards refer to WWAN slots. I don't know why, but they do. So for someone who doesn't yet own a mini - it raises the question "the slot they're talking about by the WWAN ... can you only use an SD card in those systems in which the WWAN card is included." It was never clear to me if the slot came on all systems or not, because the specs on the build page simply don't mention it as far as I've seen. maybe I missed it, but I don't recall seeing it.
  (#28) Old
Super Moderator

Default Re: SDHC cheapies = duds? - 03-11-2009, 05:01 AM

WLAN is typically where the Wireless (WiFi) card goes while the WWAN is where the 3g card would go (if equipped). They are actually interchangeable and can support either while the SSD won't work in either the WWAN/WLAN as it requires the special pinout of the SSD slot to operate and be recognized by the OS...

(#29) Old

Default Re: SDHC cheapies = duds? - 03-11-2009, 06:25 AM

Quote:
it raises the question "the slot they're talking about by the WWAN ... can you only use an SD card in those systems in which the WWAN card is included." It was never clear to me if the slot came on all systems or not, because the specs on the build page simply don't mention it as far as I've seen. maybe I missed it, but I don't recall seeing it.
That slot is for a SIM card. The slot exists on all Minis, whether you have WWAN or not. The WWAN option involves a different motherboard, but the case is otherwise identical. Including the existence of this otherwise useless slot. All of my Minis have this slot; none of my Minis have WWAN.

somms: yes, you could put your WLAN card in your WWAN slot but unless you bought a WWAN Mini in the first place you won't have a WWAN slot. At all. Just a blank spot on the motherboard where one might be soldered in. I have to admit that it would be really cool to have the WWAN plug on the motherboard, without WWAN, and thus be able to use the slot for "something else". Like one of those nifty mini-PCI-E SDHC card readers. I don't care about WWAN, but having a second SD drive onboard would be sweet.

His: Obsidian Mini-9: Karmic UNR w/ Vbox-XP, 2gb, 32gb STEC, 16gb Transcend(6), US-INTL, sgpstore carbon
Hers: Arctic Mini-9: Dell Ubuntu, 1gb, 16gb STEC, 8gb SDHC(6)
Are you a Help Vampire?
  (#30) Old

Default Re: SDHC cheapies = duds? - 03-11-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Just this ... a number of posts concerning the use of SD cards refer to WWAN slots. I don't know why, but they do. So for someone who doesn't yet own a mini - it raises the question "the slot they're talking about by the WWAN ... can you only use an SD card in those systems in which the WWAN card is included." It was never clear to me if the slot came on all systems or not, because the specs on the build page simply don't mention it as far as I've seen. maybe I missed it, but I don't recall seeing it.
Ok, I understand your question now

Sorry, English in not my first language :-\

Dell mini 9, runs on Ubuntu 8.10
(also owns an Aspire one, but well... :-)

« 32GB USB $45 Shipped (after $20 Rebate) | External DVD, Flash Drive, RAM, and WiFi questions »