External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#11) Old

Default Re: SDHC cheapies = duds? - 03-03-2009, 07:50 AM

MoInSTL@
Quote:
I set up my card to be seen by Windows as a second HD
how did u do it?
mine only shows in the external devices column

PS* my Transcend 16gb just came in today, $26 from amazon, thats pretty cheap, i store all my pictures and songs on the sdhc now
  (#12) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to MoInSTL Send a message via MSN to MoInSTL Send a message via Yahoo to MoInSTL
Default Re: SDHC cheapies = duds? - 03-03-2009, 12:48 PM

Go here and read 910 GT's post: sdhc-use-t101s10.html-st=0&sk=t&sd=a
The link he provides is 1/2 way down.http://xpefiles.com/cs/files/folders/ha ... ry616.aspx

I bought mine from New Egg for $27.99 but now it's gone waaaay up to $37.99.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820208410

Studio 15 1558| Black Chainlink| i5-520M, |4GB RAM |500 GB HD@7200 |ATI HD 4570, 512K|Backlit|9 Cell|Web Cam|Windows 7 Professional x64
  (#13) Old

Default Re: SDHC cheapies = duds? - 03-03-2009, 08:34 PM

thanks, it works
sidenote* to change from FAT/FAT32 to NTFS, u dont have to erase everything to format the card
i use cmd and type "convert D: /fs:ntfs"
also FolderRedirector (http://windowsxp.mvps.org/folderredirector.htm) is a good freeware that changes ur default My Documents, My Pictures...etc to whatever drive u want. so i used that to redirectory my folders to my sd card
  (#14) Old

Default Re: SDHC cheapies = duds? - 03-03-2009, 10:21 PM

SD cards come as FAT, often FAT16, for compatability with generic devices, thus the cryptic alphanumeric filenames that cameras like to use for photo files. MS says that FAT32 is proprietary and patented, thus the spurious allegations in their lawsuit with TomTom.

I'd actually recommend ext2 for SD cards, if you don't care about camera compatability, and if you're stuck with XP you can install a driver that allows XP to work with ext2.

Why not ntfs? Its a journaled file system, and not a particularly great one at that, but the mere fact that it is journaling increases the system overhead and causes additional read/write cycles which leads to inefficiencies with flash memory usage and mostly just leads to theoretically faster burnout. Flash memory has a finite number of erase cycles.

Why not ext3? Isn't it faster? Ext3 is journaled, for which aspects of it can be turned off, but what makes ext3 faster is how its journaling can optimize drive head motion. That edge is moot with flash memory. One of the linux tweaks to ext3 that really seems to make a difference on the Mini is the "noatime, nodiratime, journal-data-writeback" bit. This tweak is not recommended for filesystems used in a system that does not have solid battery backup (anything used with AC-only power).

His: Obsidian Mini-9: Karmic UNR w/ Vbox-XP, 2gb, 32gb STEC, 16gb Transcend(6), US-INTL, sgpstore carbon
Hers: Arctic Mini-9: Dell Ubuntu, 1gb, 16gb STEC, 8gb SDHC(6)
Are you a Help Vampire?
  (#15) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to MoInSTL Send a message via MSN to MoInSTL Send a message via Yahoo to MoInSTL
Default Re: SDHC cheapies = duds? - 03-04-2009, 01:20 AM

I'm glad it worked. I didn't follow what the post said, I just popped the card in and formatted it to NTFS. Thanks for the link. I'll have to check it out.

Studio 15 1558| Black Chainlink| i5-520M, |4GB RAM |500 GB HD@7200 |ATI HD 4570, 512K|Backlit|9 Cell|Web Cam|Windows 7 Professional x64
  (#16) Old

Default Re: SDHC cheapies = duds? - 03-04-2009, 05:35 PM

But does anyone actually know if the mini 9's built-in card reader is able to access this kind of card's full capacity? I saw very poor bench here for the the built-in card reader of the Fujitsu LifeBook E8410 (not for the mini 9 but well...)

http://www.notebookreview.com/picture.asp?f=31003

the complete test
http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4258

Sorry, English in not my first language :-\

Dell mini 9, runs on Ubuntu 8.10
(also owns an Aspire one, but well... :-)
  (#17) Old

Default Re: SDHC cheapies = duds? - 03-04-2009, 06:26 PM

I've used 8gb cards in my white Mini. No problems. Full capacity. I want a bigger SD for my black Mini. I'm weighing between a 32gb class-4 and a 16gb class-6.

Anyone have any issues with using full capacity on a 32gb card in a Mini?

His: Obsidian Mini-9: Karmic UNR w/ Vbox-XP, 2gb, 32gb STEC, 16gb Transcend(6), US-INTL, sgpstore carbon
Hers: Arctic Mini-9: Dell Ubuntu, 1gb, 16gb STEC, 8gb SDHC(6)
Are you a Help Vampire?
  (#18) Old
Super Moderator

Default Re: SDHC cheapies = duds? - 03-04-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yooy
But does anyone actually know if the mini 9's built-in card reader is able to access this kind of card's full capacity? I saw very poor bench here for the the built-in card reader of the Fujitsu LifeBook E8410 (not for the mini 9 but well...)

http://www.notebookreview.com/picture.asp?f=31003

the complete test
http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4258
Link to benchmark thread here: ssd-and-sdhc-benchmarks-t81.html

(#19) Old

Default Re: SDHC cheapies = duds? - 03-04-2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoInSTL

Link to benchmark thread here: ssd-and-sdhc-benchmarks-t81.html
Thanks! I wasnt' able to find it by myself ops:

Seems the built-in card reader is good enough... What do you think?

Sorry, English in not my first language :-\

Dell mini 9, runs on Ubuntu 8.10
(also owns an Aspire one, but well... :-)
  (#20) Old

Default Re: SDHC cheapies = duds? - 03-10-2009, 03:24 AM

Appreciate it if someone could clear this up for me ... I got the impression from other comments here and there that the only way you could use an SD card in a mini was if you got the WWan card built in? Am I confused here, or how does this work?

« 32GB USB $45 Shipped (after $20 Rebate) | External DVD, Flash Drive, RAM, and WiFi questions »