External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#1) Old

Send a message via AIM to thatguyx
Default What's the best way to share speakers between two systems? - 02-15-2009, 10:00 AM

As it asks in the title, what's the best way to share one set of speakers between two computers? I thought about buying a Y-cable from Radioshack, but I read that it may cause damage to the other systems sound card. Anyone have any recommended options? Right now I only have two laptops hooked up to my 4.1 speakers, however down the line I may end up getting throwing a PS3 in there (if the GF gets the hint ahah). I was thinking a receiver may be a possibility, but I'm using regular computer speakers and I dont want to spend that much money on a big receiver.

Dell Mini9 Alpine White
2GB Ram | Runcore 64GB SSD | OS X 10.5.6 (Type11 7.2b) | US-INTL keyboard
  (#2) Old

Default Re: What's the best way to share speakers between two systems? - 02-15-2009, 10:33 AM

Bluetooth A2DP and a bluetooth speaker like the Yamaha NX-B02 work fine, plus it's wireless.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: What's the best way to share speakers between two systems? - 02-15-2009, 03:11 PM

Depending on what laptops yopu have, this may not be an option - but it would be my preferred method.

Where I have more than one computer, I have one hooked up tp the speakers and then feed the second into the line-in of the first. Alsways works a treat for me. However, some laptops don't have a line-in, just a microphone in.

Cheers.

Dell Mini 9: Obsidian Black | A05 | Win7 / OS X 10.5.6 Dual Boot | DellEFI 1.1 | 2GB RAM | 64GB RunCore 70mm SSD | 4GB SDHC | Vodafone HSPA | 0.3mP webcam
Dell Mini 9: Obsidian Black | as above except: XP Pro SP3 | 250GB USB HDD
  (#4) Old

Default Re: What's the best way to share speakers between two systems? - 02-16-2009, 09:08 PM

use an AV switch

Mini Gaming Addict List of Playable Games Current Favorite: Darwinia
*Sold My Mini 9*
  (#5) Old

Send a message via AIM to LegendaryCheez
Default Re: What's the best way to share speakers between two systems? - 02-16-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeth_03
use an AV switch

I second that. If it is not the composite red and white cables, you could always get a headphone to dual composite adapter and plug it into a switchbox. Most switchboxes also have the yellow video cable, but you wouldn't need it in this case.

If you buy one of these, don't get them in a department store, as they charge a huge amount of money for them. You are better off searching ebay, dealextreme, etc.
  (#6) Old

Default Re: What's the best way to share speakers between two systems? - 02-17-2009, 03:31 AM

I third that. Look on monoprice.com for good prices.
-frank
  (#7) Old

Default Re: What's the best way to share speakers between two systems? - 02-17-2009, 05:17 AM

Assuming your speakers have the left and right (red, white) RCA inputs, buy the following:

2 x 3.5mm Stereo Plug/2 RCA Plug cable - 6ft - $1.28
1 x 3-Port AV Audio/Video Signal Switch - $6.95

The 3.5mm-to-2 RCA cables connect from the headphone ports on your laptops to the AV switch. The cables included in the AV switch connects the AV switch to your speaker's RCA audio input (leave the yellow video cable unplugged at both ends). Total cost = $8.23 before tax and shipping. And you still have room on the switch for one more audio device or laptop. Might as well add a third 3.5mm-to-2 RCA cable in the order since they're just $0.64 each.

If your speakers don't have the RCA inputs, you'll need an extra 3.5mm-to-2 RCA cable and this 3.5mm Stereo Coupler Jack to Jack (Female-Female) ($0.68). That allows you to connect the speaker's 3.5mm headphone connector to the AV switch.
  (#8) Old

Default Re: What's the best way to share speakers between two systems? - 04-24-2009, 12:08 PM

I see you run OSX, not sure what your application is , but if you're using itunes I use this

http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/fea ... tunes.html

Black Mini 9 2GB RAM | 64GB RunCore SSD | BT & 1.3MP CAM | OSX 10.5.6 & Windows XP HE

« Coolguard from Viewguard | SDHC as a HD »