External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#1) Old

Default GPS navigation software thread - 02-05-2009, 12:11 PM

I see a lot of talk about GPS hardware, but little specifically on software:

I have a small external BT GPS http://www.oncoursenavigator.com/item.aspx?itemid=882 that i use with my 8525 with googlemaps or live search. Is there something free like this for the netbooks that will provide the same realtime navigation, streaming maps, etc.

I know you can use ms streets or delorme, but i am looking for FREE

-= Mini 9 | RunCore 64gb SSD w/win7 | STEC 8gb SSD w/windows 7 w/bitlocker enabled| 2GB Ram | Internal BT =-
  (#2) Old

Default Re: GPS navigation software thread - 02-05-2009, 09:28 PM

You can use GooPS or EarthBridge to link a GPS with Google Earth. Just zoom in to where you're going to build the cache up first. Doesn't do navigation though. If somebody does come across a find for navigation, I'd be interested ESPECIALLY if it covered UK & FR as well!
  (#3) Old

Default Re: GPS navigation software thread - 02-07-2009, 01:37 AM

Good luck on the FREE part. I have found the Delorme software to be pretty good. If you install using the UMPC mode it will fit perfectly on the screen. I'm not sure how well google earth works but I think it would require a constant internet connection in order to update the map views.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: GPS navigation software thread - 02-09-2009, 12:01 PM

playing with Delorme now, I like the UMPC integration. I had to change my desktop color depth to 16bit to get 3d to work but it works great.

-= Mini 9 | RunCore 64gb SSD w/win7 | STEC 8gb SSD w/windows 7 w/bitlocker enabled| 2GB Ram | Internal BT =-
  (#5) Old

Default Re: GPS navigation software thread - 02-09-2009, 01:39 PM

My next quest is for some topographical software. I may not really need it, but would be fun to have since I plan on using the mini to plot trails in the Jeep. I still haven't played around with a mounting solution but I really want to have my Dell Mini sitting up on top of the radio on the dash.
  (#6) Old

Default Re: GPS navigation software thread - 02-10-2009, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekWarren
My next quest is for some topographical software. I may not really need it, but would be fun to have since I plan on using the mini to plot trails in the Jeep. I still haven't played around with a mounting solution but I really want to have my Dell Mini sitting up on top of the radio on the dash.
ditto man, jeep and topo maps. I have garmin mapsource and a garmin handheld, but want to mount my mini in the jeep

(#7) Old

Default Re: GPS navigation software thread - 03-10-2009, 08:24 AM

My companies software "Overland Navigator" sounds like it might be exactly what you guys are looking for. It is both touchscreen and keyboard friendly topographic mapping software for windows.

http://www.spatialminds.com

They keyboard support is fully configurable so you can pan easily with the arrow keys (no ctrl-keys), assign waypoint symbols to Function keys, pgup/pgdown to zoom in/zoom out, etc. Works great with a netbook, and if you have a touchscreen it works even better.

Do you guys have any photo albums showing your installs?
  (#8) Old

Default Re: GPS navigation software thread - 03-12-2009, 08:30 AM

I use something called "Oziexplorer" http://www.oziexplorer.com/ . It isn't free but I have run it successfully on my Mini (Win XP). I currently have 1:250,000 topographical maps for the entire Australian continent loaded into it but have sourced some 1:50,000 topo maps which I will be loading soon. It isn't restricted to topo maps and you can even scan (with the right hardware and software) paper maps and use them.
As the name suggests, it is an Australian product but has users all over the world loading their own local maps. There is also a version that will work on Windows Mobile smart phones (OziexplorerCE) which I have run on an iMate JasJam (Win Mobile 5), it is a HTC phone and is probably brand differently depending where you are.
There is a trial version available for download from the site, and as I'm not an expert, the best thing I can do is tell you to have a look at it and find the features/etc for yourself
  (#9) Old

Default Re: GPS navigation software thread - 03-12-2009, 11:11 AM

And to address the issue of mounting the Mini inside a vehicle look at this : http://www.ram-mount.com/mount/new_tough_tray.htm
It may be old news to some but others may be interested.
  (#10) Old

Default Re: GPS navigation software thread - 03-15-2009, 03:40 AM

I have both Delorme and Streets & Trips on my laptop, and I think both have a few pluses and minuses. My experience has been the Delorme display is somewhat less cluttered, but S&T is more accurate. The biggest problem with both is the ridiculous cost of updated maps. Charging the same full price for a yearly updated map as for the entire application is totally bogus, imo.

« cheap good wireless mouse | What is the smallest (footprint size) external hard drive? »