External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#1) Old

Default Boot External HD - 10-17-2008, 04:55 PM

I have yet to receive my Mini 910, but in anticipation for when it arrives, I am looking for information on how/If I can boot the Mini from an External USB Hard Drive similar to the way one would use the External CD/DVD over USB to boot the Mini. Any y information would be appreciated, I expect to receive my Mini 910 tomorrow, its specs are: 1gig RAM, 16gig SSHD, 1.3mp camera, Windows XP and no bluetooth. Down the road I will look to install an internal WWAN card like seen on:

http://jkkmobile.blogspot.com/2008/10/h ... -easy.html

The purpose of booting from USB External HD would be to install Leopard. On Dell's Documentation page for the Mini 910 refers to using an External CD or "Storage Device", but doesn't go on to tell how to boot from that.

Thank you in advanced for any feedback.

A. Jay
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Boot External HD - 10-17-2008, 09:21 PM

-plug in external usb hdd
-turn mini on
-press 0 to choose boot device
-choose usb hdd
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Boot External HD - 10-18-2008, 08:54 PM

Should my external HD be formatted in any certain way?

I am using a PowerBook and Disk Utility to format an iPod to use as the install HD.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Boot External HD - 10-19-2008, 02:07 AM

any kind of formatting will work, as long as it's bootable.
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Boot External HD - 10-19-2008, 02:14 PM

Thank you for the responses. Using OS X 10.5.5 on a PowerBook, could you please direct me to a way to make an external HD Bootable? I was recently messing around with the HD and a Ubuntu.ISO build, and was unable to get the drive to be read with Mac OS Extended(Journaled) by the Mini, I was successful with a MS-DOS (FAT), not in getting the Mini to boot, but but just mounting on the Mini without a problem.

I apologize for the repeated response, and queries regarding the same topic, I just would prefer to get this accomplished with as little bumps in the road as possible. I have an 2 .ISO image (OS X and Ubuntu), would I just put that in the HD, plug into Mini, and start holding 0, select the external drive, and it will boot into .ISO? Or, using disk utility would i have to restore with the .ISO as the image to place on the drive? My main question is how to make a drive bootable in OS X before attempting the install on the Mini. Also, how would I go about loading the Drive with the necessary info?

Thank you for any assistance in advance, your help thus far has been much appreciated!
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Boot External HD - 10-21-2008, 04:51 AM

open up a new thread with your questions on the OSX .iso in the Mac forum for more help

« External USB Modem | Short USB Cables »