External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#1) Old

Default Sleeve review (made by one of our forum members) - 01-27-2009, 11:27 PM

Browsing through the case review I spied a case a forum member had made that caught my eye. I contacted him asking him if he would be willing to sew up a sleeve for me based on the same material. Here is what he came up with:

I have a belkin messenger bag that I normally carry my mini and its accessories in. But about 90% of the time its laying around the house in various places by itself with no protection...and I have two little ones roaming around the house also. So I wanted to get something that would offer protection from scratches, spills, etc. The sleeve fits pretty tight, in fact I would recommend a little extra room in future models so it isn't quite as tight.

The fleece lining is soft enough to protect from from scratches and such and also helps retain some heat for when I take it out to the car in the cold (Iowa winters....seen our share of -20 this year).

The exterior on this particular sleeve is the OD color, which I liked as it doesnt draw any attention to it and the material is very rugged. As far as padding, there isn't really any and I wasn't concerned with. Lets face it, most of the bags that advertise protective lining/foam is pretty sad to begin with. The belkin messenger bag I spoke of earlier has poor padding in the bottom so hopefully the sleeve will provide a little extra protection. I was more concerned with everyday scratches/spills and such....plus keeping the kids lil grubby hands off of it.

Overall I am very pleased with the product that was produced. I am sure the product could be done in black cordura and other colors of fleece could be used, which would probably appeal more to others. The only complaint I would have is it being a just a tad bit too tight of a fit. Other than that it was exactly as I requested.

Contact psyopper if you are interested.
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Sleeve review (made by one of our forum members) - 01-28-2009, 12:35 AM

Thanks for the honest review!

My apologies if the fit is too tight, I found that when I test fit my Mini 9 in it that it fit best when I put it in "nose first", in other words, so that the hinge edge was at the flap. I'll update the pattern to give a little more room. One of the down sides to using cordura for the shell is that it has no stretch, unlike the neoprene or elastic based materials that give a little to make a snug fit easy. The benefit of cordura is it's overall durability and resistance to wear and scuffs (in and out of larger bags full of keys and other things).

I want to make more of these. What I really want is to make enough to feed my Mini 9 habit and get myself a 2GB stick of RAM, a 64GB Runcore and the OS 10.6 Box Set. If anyone is interested, PM me and we'll talk about what I can make for you!

Bringing you quality hand made fitted sleeves for the Mini 9 since January
http://shop.psyopper.com
  (#3) Old

Send a message via MSN to Brynjaminjones
Default Re: Sleeve review (made by one of our forum members) - 01-28-2009, 05:40 PM

Wow that case is brilliant! If I lived in the US (and had the money) I would buy one right now!That really is great!

My Mini: Dell Mini 9, Obsidian Black, 16gb SSD, 8gb SDHC, 2gb RAM, 1.3mp Webcam, Bluetooth, White Dell Bluetooth Travel Mouse, Windows 7 Ultimate
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Sleeve review (made by one of our forum members) - 01-28-2009, 05:55 PM

That's awesome, looks like the same material my Jeep manuals came in. Any interest in selling more and if so how much? I'm pretty happy with my neoprene walmart dvd sleve but I know it won't last forever and I kinda like the flap/velcro situation on this. On the walmart deal it kinda folds over ...which I guess is nice since its completely sealed then from any sort of moisture.
  (#5) Old

Send a message via MSN to Brynjaminjones
Default Re: Sleeve review (made by one of our forum members) - 01-28-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekWarren
That's awesome, looks like the same material my Jeep manuals came in.
Sort of off-topic, but: You have a Jeep!!?? So does my dad, I LOVE it!!

My Mini: Dell Mini 9, Obsidian Black, 16gb SSD, 8gb SDHC, 2gb RAM, 1.3mp Webcam, Bluetooth, White Dell Bluetooth Travel Mouse, Windows 7 Ultimate

« Good price on External cd rom enclosure. | using a netgear 802.11n USB wireless adapter + linux »