External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#1) Old

Question Audio through RGB - 04-20-2012, 09:42 PM

I have my 910 connected to the Vizio RGB (with help from here).
I watch Amazon rentals, and Hulu.
The picture is acceptable.
But the sound is a little muffled.
I find myself turning it up and up but it really doesn't get clearer, just louder.
I'm wondering if there is any tweaking in the 910 I should do concerning sound?
Thank you....jen
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 04-23-2012, 07:42 PM

The sound is from the 910's speakers? I would expect it to be rather awful. There are many small external speakers you could plug in to the 910 to get better sound. Or are you connecting the audio out from the 910 to the TV and using its speakers? The audio quality on the 910, even through the headphone jack, isn't the best. You may find that an inexpensive USB audio dongle works better.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default Speakers - 04-23-2012, 09:09 PM

The sound comes through the tv's speakers. But I wondered if it had anything to do with the way the 910 is delivering the sound to the tv since it's coming from the internet through it to the tv.
  (#4) Old
Administrator

Default 04-24-2012, 03:56 PM

How do you have the audio connected to the TV?

Steve
  (#5) Old

Default 05-03-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
How do you have the audio connected to the TV?
It's been so long since I did it, I didn't remember what the cord was so I had to go look up this old post

<"I just connected a VGA (RGB) cable and stereo mini jack cable from Mini 910 to Vizio tv using the tv manual of all things It worked first try and I love it.">
  (#6) Old
Administrator

Default 05-03-2012, 02:41 PM

VGA doesn't carry audio. You would need a separate cable with a 1/8" mini stereo plug on one end and the other end with red and white RCA phono plugs (usually) to go into the TV. Otherwise you are listening to audio from the Mini's speakers, which are pretty awful.

Steve
  (#7) Old

Default 05-03-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
VGA doesn't carry audio. You would need a separate cable with a 1/8" mini stereo plug on one end and the other end with red and white RCA phono plugs (usually) to go into the TV. Otherwise you are listening to audio from the Mini's speakers, which are pretty awful.
Well, as I said....the sound comes through the tv speakers. I don't remember the name of the cord but it must be what you said then. And I can't pull the tv out just to refresh my memory. The setup works fine. It's just that the sound is a little muffled. Obviously the sound must pass through the 910 and into the tv so I was wondering if there was any tweaking I could do on the 910 sound? Thanks anyway.
  (#8) Old
Administrator

Default 05-04-2012, 07:07 PM

You may want to play with turning the Mini 9's volume up (or down) and making compensating changes on the TV. Also make sure that you don't have some sort of "sound field" setting that tries to modify the sound. These are often installed along with the drivers - look in Control Panel.

Steve

« Hooking up 19" Samsung Screen to 10v ? | Where to get a replacement Streak 5 sleeve? »