External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#11) Old

Default Re: Decal Girl come on down!!! - 01-27-2009, 12:03 AM

mine showed up today. i'm gonna attempt to apply it after dinner. i'll post pics when i'm done
  (#12) Old

Default Re: Decal Girl come on down!!! - 01-27-2009, 01:12 AM

just got done applying the decals.

it comes packaged in a nice and stiff package with a bright 'ole warning label warning the deliverer to not bend it

EDIT: the board crops off the right side of the pics. if you want to see the full(er) sized images, check them out here http://fitchva.com/misc/gallery/album22

EDIT 2: the grain in the pictures is a result of using a basic point-n-shoot camera in less than ideal light. the skins do not have noise what so ever. very clean and crisp.

the skin kit with a cardboard backing panel

mini9 all cleaned and ready to rock

applied! i don't know how they do it, but you can pull the skin off and on if you don't line it up. once i got it squared away, i used an old insurance card to help smooth out the skin

look ma', no bubbles

one thing that has me thinking is the corners. after i took this picture, i used the card to reduce the wrinkles. i'm considering cutting some relieve slits in it to allow it to lay flat.

i never really intended to apply the inner skins. i mainly wanted the lid skin to help with fingerprints. but i figured i'd go ahead and see if i liked them

(#13) Old

Default Re: Decal Girl come on down!!! - 01-27-2009, 05:26 AM

Great photos! Thanks for posting those, especially the close-ups. I was wondering about the corners too...if I do get a skin, I would probably cut a slit in each corner before applying the decal.
  (#14) Old

Default Re: Decal Girl come on down!!! - 01-27-2009, 01:52 PM

does the skin cover the actual touchpad, and if so, does it hamper the responsiveness at all?

http://www.RickyCadden.com

White Mini 9, 16GB, 2GB of RAM, Win7
  (#15) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Decal Girl come on down!!! - 01-27-2009, 02:05 PM

I have the 3acp skin which has a separate piece for the touchpad. No difference at all in responsiveness. I find the DecalGirl version with a "unibrow" look to the lower piece a bit strange - not being able to see where the touchpad is.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#16) Old

Default Re: Decal Girl come on down!!! - 01-27-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcadden
does the skin cover the actual touchpad, and if so, does it hamper the responsiveness at all?
yup, it covers it. and no, it has had no effect on the performance of the touchpad
  (#17) Old

Default Re: Decal Girl come on down!!! - 01-27-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4
I have the 3acp skin which has a separate piece for the touchpad. No difference at all in responsiveness. I find the DecalGirl version with a "unibrow" look to the lower piece a bit strange - not being able to see where the touchpad is.
i will admit that it does kinda have me looking at it constantly wondering if i should take it off or not. besides, i only wanted the top lid cover to help with finger prints. but the fact that it should help keep the mini clean(er) over time is the only reason why it's still on there. i debated if i should cut out the touchpad portion of it but still apply it. the way it is now, with 1 big piece, there's not quite as abrupt transition to the touchpad so sometimes i lose track of where my fingers are when not looking down at them.
  (#18) Old

Default Re: Decal Girl come on down!!! - 01-27-2009, 05:01 PM

oh, this morning i peeled up the corners of the lid skin and ran a line down it with a razor blade. then refolded them down, overlapping the tips. this really helped out with the folds i took pictures of earlier. and with the digi camo pattern, it's almost invisible unless staring directly at it and knowing what to look for.
  (#19) Old

Default Re: Decal Girl come on down!!! - 01-28-2009, 01:32 AM

mine hasn't shipped yet, but I'm pretty sure I'll end up cutting out the touchpad section - if you decide to do this before the weekend, do let us know. I would imagine it would be easy enough to measure out, and then an exacto-knife would do the trick quite nicely.

http://www.RickyCadden.com

White Mini 9, 16GB, 2GB of RAM, Win7
  (#20) Old

Default Re: Decal Girl come on down!!! - 01-28-2009, 02:35 AM

to be honest, i am too chicken to do that right now. lol. but while looking at it and contemplating doing the cut, i realized that i never used the plastic/credit card trick to really define the edges. so i whipped one out and the results are MUCH better now.

« Transcend or A-DATA SD Card? | SD Cards... »