External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#1) Old

Default Bluetooth Headset - 10-12-2008, 04:52 PM

I ordered my Mini with built-in bluetooth. I'm wondering if anyone on this forum has tried any bluetooth headset with inspiron mini or any other dell laptop.
What i want to know is any compatibility issues, voice quality and what is the best bluetooth headset to buy for a laptop.

Thanks in advance.
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Bluetooth Headset - 10-18-2008, 10:40 AM

i've tested a motorola headset on my XPS 13".
work fine for skype... but the range is really limited...
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Bluetooth Headset - 10-19-2008, 10:13 PM

I've been using my Motorola S9 strereo bluetooth headphones (with mic) on my Mac for over a year with great results. I'll let you know how it goes on the Mini 9, but I'm assuming the experience will be similar. Make sure your OS supports A2DP if you choose to get stereo bluetooth headphones, though. Windows XP is touch-and-go, Linux requires a kernel re-compile typically, OS X 10.5+ works fine.

Dell Mini 9: Black, 8GB SSD, 1GB RAM, Bluetooth, No Webcam, Windoze XP
Ordered: 10/10 Canceled: 10/30, Re-ordered Via Outlet, , , , , , , , ,Estimated Delivery: 11/3
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Bluetooth Headset - 10-20-2008, 04:23 PM

thanks guys for replying. i ordered my mini with ubuntu and i'm planning to dual-boot with xp so i guess i'll be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekutyn
I've been using my Motorola S9 strereo bluetooth headphones (with mic) on my Mac for over a year with great results. I'll let you know how it goes on the Mini 9, but I'm assuming the experience will be similar. Make sure your OS supports A2DP if you choose to get stereo bluetooth headphones, though. Windows XP is touch-and-go, Linux requires a kernel re-compile typically, OS X 10.5+ works fine.
one quick question. how good Motorola S9 is in terms of voice chat? i suppose it's very good for music and stuff but i am wondering how good mic quality is when used with computers and where exactly mic is located on the headset.
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Bluetooth Headset - 10-20-2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattobilla
one quick question. how good Motorola S9 is in terms of voice chat? i suppose it's very good for music and stuff but i am wondering how good mic quality is when used with computers and where exactly mic is located on the headset.
You will have to tweak your sound input/output settings. The mic is as good as any other Bluetooth headset mic. The main difference between S9 headphones (A2DP) and a standard headset is that you will get near wired-headphone quality stereo audio out of it, versus the standard, mono crap-tastic junk you hear on a standard Bluetooth headset.

Just make sure your OS will support it sufficiently before going out and buying it. I know under Linux it is damn near impossible to get A2DP compiled into the kernel and I hear pairing can be a real pain every time you choose to turn them on/off.

Dell Mini 9: Black, 8GB SSD, 1GB RAM, Bluetooth, No Webcam, Windoze XP
Ordered: 10/10 Canceled: 10/30, Re-ordered Via Outlet, , , , , , , , ,Estimated Delivery: 11/3
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Bluetooth Headset - 11-19-2008, 05:33 AM

Has anyone any luck with bluetooth stereo headsets? I have a Jabra BT8010 stereo headset (with A2DP profile that sounds amazing with a Nokia cell phone) and I haven't been able to make it work on my Mini with XP Pro.
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Bluetooth Headset - 11-19-2008, 03:53 PM

I use a Logitech FreePulse stereo BT headset. It works well, though the batteries could last longer and it's not chargeable via USB. I pair it with my Mini, my big laptop (Dell Inspiron 6400), and my cell phone (LG enV2).
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Bluetooth Headset - 11-21-2008, 01:49 PM

I've realized that the culprit is the bluetooth hacked driver, with the standard driver from Dell my headset works like a charm.
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Bluetooth Headset - 12-10-2008, 01:29 AM

i had no trouble pairing Sony DRBT22 Wireless Stereo Headset with my ubuntu dell mini. have only used it to listen to music: great quality sound.
  (#10) Old

Default Re: Bluetooth Headset - 01-23-2010, 03:37 PM

No problem to pair and stream with my Dell Mini 10v (Windows XP), I can also confirm a limited range.

If you want the best of the best... (from what I read) you want to buy the Sony DBRT50, about $130-140.

I got an Aiptek BW-MA02 for $30, good feature set, not very good sound quality.
Here the review
EEE Journal for Netbooks and Mini Laptops: Stereo Music with your Netbook - Bluetooth Headset Review: Netbooks, EEE PC, MSI Wind, Aspire One and Akoya Resources.

« Looking for an external cd/dvd drive to install XP from. | USB wifi network adapter »