External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#1) Old

Default U.S.B. hub - 06-10-2010, 02:53 AM

I've had a google on this, but can't find anything conclusive. Do you unplug a USB hub before you shutdown the computer, or just leave it in. Also, is it o.k to remove the hub after shutdown?... I don't use my external hard drive through the hub by the way.
  (#2) Old
Guru

Default 06-10-2010, 01:04 PM

Feel free to unplug or not unplug USB devices (including hubs) whenever you want. Computer on or off.

Pretty much the only exception to that rule is storage devices (flash drives, card readers, USB hard drives, etc). Before disconnecting them (or hubs that they are connected to), you should "safely remove" or "unmount" them in the OS to ensure that all data is completely written to the device.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old

Default 06-10-2010, 04:21 PM

Ah. O.k. - thanks for that. it's always a bit of a worry if you're not sure. Better a silly question, than a sick Mini 9 I think!
  (#4) Old

Default 06-13-2010, 06:07 PM

The only thing I would add is you would better served if you used a "powered" USB hub. Especially if you plan on using external Hard drives or Optical drives; but even USB wifi adapters benifit from a powered hub.

I know they cost a good bit more; but the extra power prevents problems when you need the extra power. AS much as a mini depends on its USB ports its good insurance. fdalbor

Dell Mini 1010 XP--10.04/Mandriva One/Joli 1.2
Compaq R4000 laptop AMD 64
Compaq SR2034NX AMD 64

« USB speakers | External Monitor 10v? »