External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#81) Old

Default Re: Lets Talk Mice - 03-19-2009, 08:09 PM

I just ordered this bluetooth presentation remote/laser pointer/Mouse for my mini.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Wire...dp/B000HDMPTO/

Seems pretty good at $30 shipped ..it even comes with its own bluetooth dongle.

Looks like they have it working for OSX too
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...=249841&page=5

BTW: that $2.XX bluetooth adapter works great in OSX. Took about a month to receive it. It came in a little plastic bag w/o any drivers and I didn't need any, I plugged it in to my Mini running OSX and it just worked !
  (#82) Old

Default Re: Lets Talk Mice - 03-20-2009, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinkpig
I just ordered this bluetooth presentation remote/laser pointer/Mouse for my mini.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Wire...dp/B000HDMPTO/

Seems pretty good at $30 shipped ..it even comes with its own bluetooth dongle.

Looks like they have it working for OSX too
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...=249841&page=5

BTW: that $2.XX bluetooth adapter works great in OSX. Took about a month to receive it. It came in a little plastic bag w/o any drivers and I didn't need any, I plugged it in to my Mini running OSX and it just worked !
i say ditch the bluetooth dongle that came with the M$ mouse and grab one like this

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... &CatId=909

i dont know why all mfgs arent catching onto the nano trend of things.
  (#83) Old

Default Re: Lets Talk Mice - 04-08-2009, 12:09 AM

BTW, you can find a black version of the Bluetooth Logitech mouse (v470). I got one to match my Mini because I am a dork.

http://www.retailblue.com/v470-bluet...r-2000711.html
  (#84) Old

Default Re: Lets Talk Mice - 04-09-2009, 11:52 PM

Hello, everyone.

I'm torn between three mice (Logitech V470, V450 Nano and Microsoft Netbook 5000), but need to some specific information before I decide which one is right for me (my Mini has a built-in bluetooth adapter).

Feature-wise, it looks to me as if they have the same number of features: both connect via bluetooth, both use laser technology, scroll wheel etc.

I very much like (and make full use of) the horizontal scroll feature V470 has (I use Logitech MX620 with my XP desktop and am quite satisfied with it). Considering the rather limited screen estate of the Mini 9, this comes in very handy, indeed. The V470 has this feature, BUT will it work under Ubuntu? To the best of my knowledge, neither of the above mice have drivers for Linux. And the glossy finish of it nicely complements the Mini's glossy lid (mine is black).

The V450 Nano is a slightly cheaper alternative, which seems to offer the exact same benefits as its bigger brother, but comes with a bluetooth receiver. So, IF horizontal scrolling is available under Ubuntu AND it is possible to ditch the receiver and use Mini's built-in BT adapter, then I'd definitely go for the Nano, because, this comes with the added benefit of being usable on other machines that do not have bluetooth built in (unlike V470 and 5000, which would would either require built-in BT or a separate USB adapter or some other alternative). Also (though, I may be totally wrong here, as it's possible that Logitech has 'locked' the miniscule dongle to only work with the mouse that it is packaged with), wouldn't it be possible to use Nano's receiver as an external bluetooth adapter to add that capability to computers that don't have it? For example, I'd like to be able to connect my Nokia phone wirelessly to my desktop to back up my contacts and messages periodically, which I do through a USB cable at the moment.

And then there's the MS 5000, which offers the same benefits as the V470, but instead of side-scroll, it gives you a 'back' button, which I don't find particularly useful (at least, when I put side-scroll at one end of the scale and 'back' button at the other, side-scroll weighs in heavier. Again, this is just personal preference). Again, will it actually work under Ubuntu?? Or will it just become an 'inactive' button, because there's not a driver for Linux?

So, I've done my research, but because I'm a Linux novice, I just don't know whether the full functionality of these mice can be utilised under Linux. This is a make or break question for me. If one of the above mice can do it but the others can't, then the one that can will be the one I buy. If none of them can, then I have to choose between V470 or V450 ...

... which is why any additional advice on the possibility of using the nano external dongle with other devices would be greatly appreciated.

Apologies for the long post, but I hope it can help others who are on the same boat as me. I've looked at the threads under this topic and elsewhere, but haven't been able to find answers to my specific questions and had to submit a new post.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

P.S.: I've actually connected my Logitech MX620 to my Mini and side-scroll worked well under Ubuntu 8.04, but I'm worried this may be just hit and miss and the next mouse may not.

Mini 9 - Obsidian Black: Dell Ubuntu 9.04 NR, Intel Atom 1.6 Ghz, 2GB RAM, 8GB SSD, 32GB SDHC, Bluetooth, 0.3MP webcam
  (#85) Old
Super Moderator

Default Re: Lets Talk Mice - 04-10-2009, 12:46 AM

I am currently using the Microsoft Arc mouse. Absolutely love it. Paid more for it than I should have when I got it, but I needed something quickly, so price wasn't an object. Needless to say, I don't use it as much with my laptop and more with my Mini.

That all said, I am a trackball guy. I have yet to find a portable trackball that I like, especially one that is cordless. If Logitech or Microsoft came up with a notebook thumball type trackball of the optical variety, I would be all over it like a...errrr...I would get kind of unPC with what I would say, but needless to say that it would be very quickly.

Alienware M11xR2 - Core i5 1.06 - 4 GB - 250 GB HD

Triple Boot Guide - 10v RAM Upgrade Videos - mechdrew's OSX guides
  (#86) Old

Default Mx 1000 - 05-16-2009, 06:26 AM

Using this bad boy, MX 1000 from Logitech. Works a treat using built-in bluetooth.
  (#87) Old

Default 05-16-2009, 04:21 PM

I'm using an MS Notebook 5000 bluetooth mouse.

Works with the internal bluetooth, so frees up a usb port.

Even with my (relatively) big hands it's real comfortable for a couple of hours use.

Scroll wheel and back button for my thumb are essential for web browsing.

Chris
  (#88) Old

Default 06-07-2009, 02:09 AM

A mouse is such a personal item & preferences vary greatly.

I'm a BIG fan of the Logitech V nano. It even clips to the lid of my notebook & shuts off while docked.

Dell mini 9, 2GB RAM, 32GB RunCore SSD, OS X (10.6.7)
  (#89) Old

Lightbulb Gettin' Small.... - 06-08-2009, 03:42 AM

Silicon Valley Digerati
Dell Mini9/OSX 10.6.2
Fujitsu UH900/Ubuntu 10.04/Win7
MacBook C2D/OSX 10.6.3
HP2710p TabletPC (work)
Previous: Sony Vaio P91S/UMID M1/Fujitsu P1610 TabletPC & Many More
  (#90) Old

Default 08-11-2009, 03:00 PM

I just got the Logitech V450 Nano Cordless Laser Mouse for $39.99 on sale at bestbuy. It is now onsale at Staples Logitech V450 Nano Cordless Laser Mouse (black) | StaplesĀ®
The Nano receiver is as small as they get but it does stick out of the side. The side to side scroll is useful on the mini and the buttons are customizable. Also they claim 12 months of battery life from two AA batteries and when traveling you can store the nano receiver inside the mouse!

Obsidian Black Mini 9 | 2GB Kingston RAM | 32GB RunCore SSD | 1.3mp Webcam | Transcend 16GB SDHC | Kawau Micro SD Card Reader | Polaroid 16GB Micro SDHC | Windows XP | Ridic Graphics Skin | Logitech V450 Nano

« Is sgpstore.com alive? | Smaller SD Card? »