External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#61) Old

Default Re: Lets Talk Mice - 02-02-2009, 01:57 AM

Still have the VX Nano from my previous laptop. It's so awesome!
  (#62) Old

Default Re: Lets Talk Mice - 02-02-2009, 02:20 AM

I just bought a Logitech v450 Nano wireless mouse from Staples for $29.99 (on sale) which has the tiny USB receiver.

cohoman

Dell Mini 9 Web Blog: http://dellmini.wordpress.com
  (#63) Old

Default Re: Lets Talk Mice - 02-08-2009, 09:36 AM

Yesterday, I bought a simple hama AM-5000 USB optical mouse (http://compraonline.mediaworld.it/webap ... ry_rn=1547) at Mediaworld.
It works great with my Ubuntu 8.04. No installation. Simply connect to the USB and works. Not too big. Not too small.
Price: 4.99 €.

Obsidian Black Dell Inspiron Mini 9 - 1GB RAM - 8GB SSD - Ubuntu 8.04
Website: http://sites.google.com/site/dggatetocyberspace/Home
  (#64) Old

Default Re: Lets Talk Mice - 02-09-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcamp7
So I took the plunge today and purchased one of these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-Wireless-Bluet ... 1|294%3A50

I am sure it won't be of the high quality of maybe some of the other mice available, but I just couldn't find a mouse that was bluetooth and at the same time super small. Most of the ones that were titled mini or travel at the store, were still bulkier then what I was wanting.

This one measure in at just 3" long x 1.6" wide x 1" tall, so it is the about the smallest I could find that I feel would still fit my needs.

Anyway, as soon as it comes in I will write up an honest review to hopefully have something available to those that are looking for something super compact that is still usable.
So the mouse finally came in today. yippee! I can't give a review for durability since I have only used it for about 2 hours now, but here are my opinions this far:

It looks really really nice. It's a dark grey metallic and it is extremely glossy. It is a beautiful finish. As far as build it actually has a solid feel for such a small mouse. There is a nice weight to it before putting in AAA batteries. The buttons feel nice with a solid click and the scroll wheel has a nice click to it. when I say click on the scroll wheel I don't mean an audible sound but you can feel little clicks on it when scrolling. The wheel is a nice rubber type wheel so it feels nice on the finger. It also comes with a nice little pouch, which keeps it protected if you would throw it in a coat pocket or something. The connection was immediate via bluetooth (I am using os X but I would assume there won't be any problems for windows based mini's either, since that is what the specs are on the box. It runs really smooth and so far has had no problems running on "granite" style counter tops, hardwood floor, microfiber recliner and even thick carpet. It is a little bigger than the previous mouse I was using that I purchased from target in the eee pc section and is the smallest mouse available that I know of, so it's still pretty tiny compared to any bluetooth mouse I have been able to find at any stores. However, even though it is small, I feel that it is extremely usable and feels very comfortable on my hand. It may not be for everyone, but for anyone looking for the smallest bluetooth mouse (or at least that I know of) available in order to stay compact while on the go then I would suggest this mouse. If I run into any problems within the first few weeks I will let you know.

[attachment=0:8p9q8ndp]IMG_5669.JPG[/attachment:8p9q8ndp]

[attachment=1:8p9q8ndp]IMG_5660.JPG[/attachment:8p9q8ndp]

I like the fact that the pouch says bluetooth on it in case you forget it's bluetooth. :mrgreen:
[attachment=2:8p9q8ndp]IMG_5664.JPG[/attachment:8p9q8ndp]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5664.JPG (188.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5660.JPG (187.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5669.JPG (177.5 KB, 15 views)

Red Dell Mini 9, 64GB Runcore ssd, 2GB ram, os X 10.5.6, bluetooth, camera. The Dell mini is the greatest thing since sliced bread!
  (#65) Old

Default Re: Lets Talk Mice - 02-13-2009, 10:05 PM

Since we're on the topic of mice, I thought I'd post my 2 cents worth of experience...

I was a business traveler at my prior employer and so weight and bulk (or lack thereof) meant more to me than a fast CPU. I was issued a heavy Dell Latitude and then later a Dell Precision to lug with me 24x7 through airports, terminals, etc. I wish the Dell Mini was out back then as it would have made my business travel lifestyle MUCH easier!

Tip #1 - Avoid corded mice with chrome paint!
Although a USB travel mouse was usable, it made my hand cramp up after extended periods of time because it was so small. Here's a tip I learned based on my own personal experience: if you go with a small USB "travel" mouse with a retractable cord, make sure that it doesn't have any chrome paint on it. I was in Calgary, Canada in the winter of 2006 and it was very dry. I was walking across my hotel room floor and then when I went to touch the mouse, a static SPARK lept from my fingers to the chrome paint and then my notebook immediately powered off! Upon reboot, all of the USB ports were fried and no longer showed up in Device Manager which really sucked because I heavily depended on them for transferring files via USB flash drive! So lesson learned.
[attachment=1:14i75rm0]5089834_id.jpg[/attachment:14i75rm0]

Tip #2 - If space is critical, consider using a graphics tablet
At home and at the office, I do not use a mouse at all. I use a USB Wacom Intuos 2 graphics tablet instead. Then one day, while packing for a trip I was trying to avoid packing a travel mouse since they are bulky. Then a light bulb went on over my head. I thought, "Why not bring the graphics tablet!?" So I did and it worked out great! The Intuos line is pretty pricey, but thankfully the Bamboo line is much more affordable. I would place the tablet in my laptop bag right in there on top of my notebook and then place the Wacom pen into one of my bags' built-in pen holders. So if a 1.5" tall mouse is still too much bulk for ya, try a graphics tablet at just 1/4" (7mm) thick. It also made "on-site Photoshop jobs" (where I had to edit company logos) much easier to accomplish (versus using a mouse).
[attachment=0:14i75rm0]intuos2_4x5.jpg[/attachment:14i75rm0]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5089834_id.jpg (10.2 KB, 827 views)
File Type: jpg intuos2_4x5.jpg (7.3 KB, 830 views)

Dell Inspiron 1750, T6600, 4GB RAM, Wireless N
  (#66) Old

Default Re: Lets Talk Mice - 02-15-2009, 01:07 AM

Now that I've installed the bluetooth module in my Mini, I needed something to test it, so I bought the Microsoft Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000. It's a similar size to my other MS notebook mice (that come with the USB receiver), light weight and portable. After letting the Mini discover the mouse and install drivers, it works great! I love that it's black and white, so it goes nicely with my black/white Mini. It also came with a small neoprene case.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mk_largerview_bnm5k.jpg (24.3 KB, 9 views)
  (#67) Old

Default Re: Lets Talk Mice - 02-22-2009, 07:36 PM

How do you rate the mouse having used it for a while?
  (#68) Old

Default Re: Lets Talk Mice - 02-22-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo
How do you rate the mouse having used it for a while?
I had that Microsoft mice-i was nerved by wheel sound-it was to loud for me. so i bought one no name BT Mice from Hong-Kong-works and looks much better for me. And silent...but it is ver, very small (i have small hands...)
http://cgi.ebay.at/Mini-1000-DPI-Blueto ... 240%3A1318
  (#69) Old

Default Re: Lets Talk Mice - 02-22-2009, 08:12 PM

Looks sweet but may be a little too small! Did you get any warrenty? Thanks
  (#70) Old

Default Re: Lets Talk Mice - 02-22-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo
Looks sweet but may be a little too small! Did you get any warrenty? Thanks
I think that i had some paybill-but it was cheap mice so i wasn´t interested to much... i took a little risk...

« Is sgpstore.com alive? | Smaller SD Card? »