External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#41) Old

Default Re: Lets Talk Mice - 12-07-2008, 02:50 PM

FWIW,

I have a Logitech V270 bluetooth mouse that I have using for over two years at home, travel, etc with a Dell notebook - still reliable as ever, very solid and heavy feel to it, looks solid as w aell, takes AA (not AAA) batteries, so goes for a long time without changes even when half the time I forget to switch off the mouse. I very strongly recommend this (or whatever has superceded it, since I bought it in August 2006). Cost me £27 inc. VAT at the time.

On the other hand, I have a Trust bluetooth Mini-Mouse MI-8700Rp bought March 2008. This is definitely inferior to the above. I bought to use with another home notebook. It is physically lighter, looks less solid in construction (some glossy cheaper looking plastic, compared to the Logitech's matt plastic), and runs on 2 AAA batteries that seem to run out frequently, and especially if I accidently don't switch it off. Also, the laser on this isn't as good - whether it has lower DPI or just doesn't work on the variety of surfaces, I'm not sure, but I find occasionally I need to grab a book or something else (i.e. the arm of chair or fabric of a sofa isn't good enough). Cost me £21 inc. VAT at the time.

So I would say:
- Understand what type of mouse you like, in terms of weight, size, etc
- Probably a good idea to try it out in person at a shop if you can
- If you are comparing Logitech or Trust, go for the former
- Try to get one that takes AA rather than AAA - more convenient

M
  (#42) Old

Default Re: Lets Talk Mice - 01-02-2009, 07:54 PM

I have the Logitech V220. It is a great mouse that requires no setup. Only £10 on ebuyer. Wireless not bluetooth. The USB reciver slips underneeth the mouse and is held in place. This also automatically turns it off when you put it in and on when you take it out. I highly recomend it!
  (#43) Old

Default Re: Lets Talk Mice - 01-02-2009, 08:35 PM

I picked up an Advent wireless laser mouse from PC World in the sales a few days ago. Very small receiver which will fit internally in the mini 9 with a little modding. Switch ont he mouse to turn it on and off and it's ergonomic and easy to sue. Top buy for 9 quid.

Everything's Blue, Everything's Blue In This World, All Fuzzy, Spilling Out Of My Head.
  (#44) Old

Default Re: Lets Talk Mice - 01-19-2009, 05:41 PM

I wish Logitech would make some decent bluetooth mice. I'd buy the VX Nano in a heartbeat if it was bluetooth.
  (#45) Old

Send a message via Yahoo to GerallK
Default Re: Lets Talk Mice - 01-19-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helius
I wish Logitech would make some decent bluetooth mice. I'd buy the VX Nano in a heartbeat if it was bluetooth.
I'll second that! Logitech makes some exceptional quality input devices, but they seem to feel bluetooth is a fad. They've really cut back on their BT offerings...

Obsidian Mini 9 > 2gb ram, 16gb ssd, bluetooth, 1.3mp webcam, us-intl kbd
Internal Mods > usb hub, 16gb flash drive, 8gb flash drive, added webcam, changed kbd
Software Mods > Dellbuntu 8.04.1 | Gentoo 2008.0
  (#46) Old

Default Re: Lets Talk Mice - 01-19-2009, 07:01 PM

I've heard the argument that bluetooth mice are jumpy because there's too much overhead, and the one I owned was jumpy. Anybody with a bluetooth mouse care to comment on that?
  (#47) Old

Default Re: Lets Talk Mice - 01-19-2009, 07:15 PM

Personally, I've used both the RocketFish Bluetooth mouse (Best Buy brand) and the Logitech Mx900 bluetooth mouse on my Mini. Both have been used in various distributions (Ubuntu, Gentoo, SLAX) with no problems at all. I do not use Linux for a gaming platform, though...

My use of mice isn't resolution-critical, so I can't speak to how gamers might find the action on these devices. (Gamers push innovation for input devices.)

I have never put a Windows variant on my Mini, so I don't know how they'd behave there. I *have* bound both of these mice to my work laptop (running XP Pro) and they work fine for me there. However, there is a slight lag when the mouse is moved before the pointer kicks off. I suspect the driver is to blame, but am not allowed to tinker with the drivers on my Windows box (corporate policies, etc).

My (subjective) feedback on bluetooth mice

Internal Mods > usb hub, 16gb flash drive, 8gb flash drive, added webcam, changed kbd
  (#48) Old

Send a message via ICQ to kancept Send a message via AIM to kancept Send a message via Yahoo to kancept
Default Re: Lets Talk Mice - 01-19-2009, 08:04 PM

I gotta say, I'm a trackball user, and am still pissed Logitech doesn't make theirs in a bluetooth version. There's plenty of room in it for batteries....

I use a Dell Mini9 with OS X, 2GB RAM, 16GB SSD, 802.11n Airport card, and IrDA.

My IrDA Mod...
  (#49) Old

Default Re: Lets Talk Mice - 01-20-2009, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerallK
Personally, I've used both the RocketFish Bluetooth mouse (Best Buy brand) and the Logitech Mx900 bluetooth mouse on my Mini. Both have been used in various distributions (Ubuntu, Gentoo, SLAX) with no problems at all. I do not use Linux for a gaming platform, though...

My use of mice isn't resolution-critical, so I can't speak to how gamers might find the action on these devices. (Gamers push innovation for input devices.)

I have never put a Windows variant on my Mini, so I don't know how they'd behave there. I *have* bound both of these mice to my work laptop (running XP Pro) and they work fine for me there. However, there is a slight lag when the mouse is moved before the pointer kicks off. I suspect the driver is to blame, but am not allowed to tinker with the drivers on my Windows box (corporate policies, etc).

My (subjective) feedback on bluetooth mice
Thanks. Any comments on battery life? I've also heard they suck up the juice.
  (#50) Old

Default Re: Lets Talk Mice - 01-20-2009, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helius
Thanks. Any comments on battery life? I've also heard they suck up the juice.
The Rocketfish Bluetooth Mouse has a power switch on the bottom, and I turn it off as the Mini is shutting down. I've owned it for going on 4 months now, and have never changed the batteries... It shipped with 2 normal AAA Duracell batteries. They appear to last quite a while.

The Logitech Mx900 (a discontinued model, naturally) has a charging base you place the mouse in when the computer isn't running which keeps it's 2 rechargable AA batteries up to power. I've owned this device for more like 2 years, and haven't changed the rechargables out. Endurance appears to be 14 ~ 16 hours of continuous usage (about 3 days out of the charger at my usage level before it starts skipping tracks).

With the Logitech, I just need to remember to place the rodent in its charging cradle before going to bed.

I use my Mini for 3 - 5 hours at a stretch, normally.

kancept: I'll agree - where's the trackball love? I got used to playing Master of Magic with my Logitech trackball back in the mid 90's, and miss them profoundly. Anyone at Logitech reading these posts? Bluetooth Trackballs Would ROCK!

« Is sgpstore.com alive? | Smaller SD Card? »