External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#1) Old

Default IOMagic Dell Slim DVD-RW power supply? - 10-10-2008, 09:31 PM

My main question about this is in bold below, surrounded by extra info.

I picked up this drive with my Mini. It came with two USB cables: one "single" cable and one cable with two USB connectors on the computer side for adding power to the drive. It works great whether using the single or double cable, but there is a jack on the drive where you can hook up a power supply. I can't find anywhere on the IOMagic site or Dell's site what the rating is for that power supply.

Does anyone know if there's a "standard" power adapter voltage I should try to power the IOMagic drive? There's an indicator on the case that the tip of the plug is positive, but that's it. I've tried some other random power supply/adapters I have sitting around the house and couldn't get anything out of the drive other than a pulsing LED.

Reason I'm asking is I'm trying insanelymac's method for putting my retail OSX on the machine and can't get the boot menu to recognize the drive. I can get the Mini to boot from the external IOMagic drive no problem, but once I'm in the boot environment to install OSX it doesn't see the drive and I thought maybe if it were powered externally it could help.
  (#2) Old

Default Re: IOMagic Dell Slim DVD-RW power supply? - 10-10-2008, 11:17 PM

I would imagine that it would be for a USB power cable,like the one i have for my hardrive enclosure. Which would be 5 volts,but im not sure.

In any case,it should work fine with the double cable,and if not,then power is probably not the problem,especially on just reading data...

Mini Gaming Addict List of Playable Games Current Favorite: Darwinia
*Sold My Mini 9*
  (#3) Old

Default Re: IOMagic Dell Slim DVD-RW power supply? - 10-15-2008, 08:27 AM

email IO if you haven't already, and ask them.

Studio 1458 | Fingerprint magnet black Windows 7
Diztop D945GCLF2 | dual-core Intel® Atom™ processor 330
  (#4) Old

Default Re: IOMagic Dell Slim DVD-RW power supply? - 10-15-2008, 03:40 PM

5v
  (#5) Old

Default Re: IOMagic Dell Slim DVD-RW power supply? - 11-11-2008, 07:35 PM

I have one too that did not come with a power supply... Its been working fine just reading discs...will I have issues with burning discs?

Mini 9 with 2gb RAM, DELL BT Travel Mouse, IO DVD/CD Burner, 16GB SD.
  (#6) Old

Default Re: IOMagic Dell Slim DVD-RW power supply? - 11-12-2008, 02:59 AM

I have an IOMagic external cd/dvd drive (from Dell). I have XP Home. When I use it, it appears under My Computer as drive E, whether I have my SD card in the computer or not. The SD card comes up as drive D.

I do not use an extra power supply for the IOMagic. Your mini should recognize the drive just with the USB cable. Make sure you plug it in after you boot the PC if you are not booting from the drive.
  (#7) Old

Default Re: IOMagic Dell Slim DVD-RW power supply? - 12-30-2008, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krumly
My main question about this is in bold below, surrounded by extra info.
Reason I'm asking is I'm trying insanelymac's method for putting my retail OSX on the machine and can't get the boot menu to recognize the drive. I can get the Mini to boot from the external IOMagic drive no problem, but once I'm in the boot environment to install OSX it doesn't see the drive and I thought maybe if it were powered externally it could help.
I'm having the same issue with this drive installing OSX. Have you figured out a solution yet? Or did you return the drive?
  (#8) Old

Default Re: IOMagic Dell Slim DVD-RW power supply? - 01-10-2009, 06:40 PM

I ordered the external power supply from IOMagic - its easy to get to, click on the portable DVDRW, click on the DESIGNED FOR DELL, once you are on the Designed for Dell slim DVD-RW page, click the ACCESSORIES tab and there you go.........power supply etc...... here is a link.....

http://www.iomagic.com/Products/show_al ... D=IDVD8PEB

http://store.iomagic.com/search_results ... h&iLevel=1

Obsidian Black Dell Mini 9 - 2gb ram, 32gb ssd, 1.3mb wc, bt, Windows XP Pro (Yeah!!!)
  (#9) Old

Default Re: IOMagic Dell Slim DVD-RW power supply? - 01-20-2009, 06:27 PM

Has anyone tried this specific drive in Mac OS X? I'd like to know if it'll work without any modification.
  (#10) Old

Default Re: IOMagic Dell Slim DVD-RW power supply? - 02-02-2009, 09:23 PM

Hi,

Can anyone confirm if:

1. Drive works when connected to the Left USB Ports but not the right port ?
2. I tried using a usb printer cable which worked..! (Strange) - Can anyone try the same and confirm..?

-Jones

« Inexpensive SIM card capable USB card reader | Protective case for Mini 9 »