External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#11) Old
Expert Member

Default Re: IOMagic Dell Slim DVD-RW power supply? - 02-04-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Jones
Hi,

Can anyone confirm if:

1. Drive works when connected to the Left USB Ports but not the right port ?
2. I tried using a usb printer cable which worked..! (Strange) - Can anyone try the same and confirm..?

-Jones
1) Left/Right USB port weirdness to this effect has been reported by other users from what I've seen, so I'd recommend an additional cable plugged into another port to grab the added power or use an external power adapter.

2) Many USB devices share common connectors. (Part of the intent behind the"universal" in USB.)
The cable you commonly see used on printers is used on many other USB devices as well, so yep it's good!

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast
  (#12) Old

Default Re: IOMagic Dell Slim DVD-RW power supply? - 02-06-2009, 01:52 AM

Hi:

I hope I am not repeating questions but here goes. I got my mini and it worked great. I was able to install most of the software I needed over the web. I have one application that I need a cd drive for so I bought the IO Magic portable 8x drive. It only came with a USB cable. The drive works great on another laptop but the mini does not recogize the drive at all, the drive seems to just spin and spin. I talked to IO magic and FOUR (maybe 5) dell techs. All said it should work but none could get it to work. I even sent it in to Dell so they could reinstall XP (they said that would work). Not only did it not work when it came back but they did not reinstall any required internet drivers that were on the computer when I first got it. So I have a mini with no software on it and no way to access the internet. The last dell tech said I needed a power supply for the portable so I ordered one from IO, it should be here sometime in Feb. Why so much confusion from Dell on the issue? Will I be ok once I get the power supply or is there another issue?

Thanks for any insight.
  (#13) Old

Default Re: IOMagic Dell Slim DVD-RW power supply? - 02-06-2009, 03:45 AM

Jak --

I had the same problem last month, as have many others. I'm convinced that the +5 V power to the 3 - USB ports is marginal, and reported that to Dell techs then. Here's my experience and solution:

Re: Problem Installing IOMAGIC DVD Drive

Postby Parker on Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:48 pm
Inspiron 910, 1 GB, 16GB, XP, Bios A03

First time I tried to use the I/OMagic DVD-RW, Windows couldn't install, Device Manager said "device couldn't start (code 10)"

When it worked fine on my desktop, I/OMagic tech support and I deduced that the Mini is underpowered, and that's why the drive murmured but wouldn't start. I solved the problem by using a self-powered USB hub between the drive and the Mini. Successfully installed some software.

Later, on a hunch, I tried turning off the Wi-Fi in the Mini, unplugging an SD memory card, and a USB Logitech trackball -- voila, the DVD drive worked just fine in the Mini. So the +5V supply in the Mini 9 is underpowered to run 3 - USB posts at the spec. current, when other services are running. Dell tech. support was notified -- I think, hard to understand them!!

Good luck, Parker
  (#14) Old

Default Re: IOMagic Dell Slim DVD-RW power supply? - 02-08-2009, 01:29 AM

Parker:
Thanks for the response. Amazingly, I took out my usb mouse and teh mini recognized the external drive. I think I must have bigger problems, the other devices list in my system folder are all yellow with question marks. The utility and drivers cd does not seem to be the CD needed to repair this.

Thanks.
  (#15) Old

Default Re: IOMagic Dell Slim DVD-RW power supply? - 02-08-2009, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak
Parker:
the other devices list in my system folder are all yellow with question marks.
Thanks.
Try going to the Dell support/download site for the Mini's (latest) drivers. LINK
Which components have the question marks? Can you provide a screenshot of the Device Manager list?
  (#16) Old

Default Re: IOMagic Dell Slim DVD-RW power supply? - 02-19-2009, 05:19 AM

I can't get the drive to boot from a dvd or cd when I first boot up the dell mini 9. In windows it recognizes it and can install programs. I tried to boo the retail windows xp cd, other bootable discs,and the drive doesn't boot it. Do i need a power supply?

Dell Mini 9 2GB 32GB RunCore SSD BT 1.3MP 10.5.6 (Type11 v8.02b1)
XPS M1330 2.2 C2D 3GB 250GB Vista Ultimate
  (#17) Old

Default Re: IOMagic Dell Slim DVD-RW power supply? - 02-19-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasteveha
I can't get the drive to boot from a dvd or cd when I first boot up the dell mini 9. In windows it recognizes it and can install programs. I tried to boo the retail windows xp cd, other bootable discs,and the drive doesn't boot it. Do i need a power supply?
Make sure your power supply for the Mini is plugged in and make sure you plug the CD drive in the USB on the left closest to the power ..........that is the main USB port and the disks should boot as long as you select 8 and select cdrom - good luck.........personally I change the bios boot order to have CDROM and USB before the drive.........
Bruce

Obsidian Black Dell Mini 9 - 2gb ram, 32gb ssd, 1.3mb wc, bt, Windows XP Pro (Yeah!!!)
  (#18) Old

Default Re: IOMagic Dell Slim DVD-RW power supply? - 02-26-2009, 06:38 AM

I just got the I/O Magic DVD drive. Dell screwed up calling this designed for Dell. I only got a single, rather thin, cheap and short USB cable. Windows XP will not recognize the drive with this cable. Dell Tech Support is totally clueless on the issue. The fix . . . I plugged in the drive with a different, heavier USB cable that came with an external HD enclosure kit and it works fine. Left or right side ports. If the drive didn't come with such a cheap USB cable, there would not be a problem.
  (#19) Old
Administrator

Default Re: IOMagic Dell Slim DVD-RW power supply? - 02-26-2009, 03:40 PM

In particular, the wire gauge needs to be hefty enough to carry the required power without too much voltage drop. I have a thin retractable USB cable which works with a lot of devices, but not USB DVD drives.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#20) Old

Default Re: IOMagic Dell Slim DVD-RW power supply? - 02-28-2009, 04:05 AM

After 2 days with I/O Magic, I have decided to return it. In adition to the USB cable issue, this thing is just a piece of crap. Noisy, flemsy, discs get stuck in it and will not eject, stops reading . . .

Good news, Iomega SuperSlim DVD Portable Writer DVD±RW USB 2.0 unit is on sale at $25 off . . .

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=A2372825

I will have one next week.

« Inexpensive SIM card capable USB card reader | Protective case for Mini 9 »