External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#1) Old

Default Extrenal hard drive vs DVD Rom - 12-30-2008, 09:19 AM

I looked around but could not find a definite answer.

I am looking to get an external drive but was wondering if the external hard drives (5400 rpm) are fast enough to play video off of first of all, and secondly if they really zap the battery?
Or should I get a slim external DVD rom.
I am mainly going to use it to play DVDs or videos and I can just rip the DVD and throw it on the drive and play it off there or just play the DVD on the rom.

I was wondering if anyone knew which one worked better or took less battery?
I have a full size exteranl DVD rom (with external power)so i am leaning toward the HD but if it kills the battery a lot more than the rom then I might be a better option.
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Extrenal hard drive vs DVD Rom - 01-03-2009, 08:59 PM

Why not rip the dvd to a thumbdrive or SD card? Don 't know if you are interested, but I just bought the Samsung slimline DVD burner SE-S084B model for $50.00 with free shipping. Runs off USB only, no external power required. Bought it from Newegg.com

My Flagship Rig: XPS I7 930 2.8ghz 12gb Ram 120gb OCZ SSD ATI Radeon 5830 W7 Ult Asus G73SW I7 2.0GHZ QuadCore 12gb Ram 120gb OCZ Ssd Nvidia GTX460 Dell Latitude E6400 Intel 2.4ghz Core2 Duo 40gb Intel Ssd 4gb Ram

« SD card prices (UK) | mouse and keyboard ps/2 to usb adaptor »