External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#1) Old

Question Is this possible? - 03-18-2010, 12:07 AM

Hi,

I was wondering if the following is possible:

I gave my wife as a present a Dell Mini 10v (1011) netbook with Windows 7 Starter installed and I would like to clone the c:\ drive with Macrium reflect (Acronis similar), now, if I buy a USB 160 Gb external HD (Seagate 4500 rpm), and partition it into two different partitions, one for having the "equivalent" of the Macrium boot CD and the other with the back-up clone of the Windows 7 OS, is it possible to boot from the Macrium partition in order to restore the content of the other partition into the internal drive in case that a severe failure of the internal HD happens?

Sorry if this sounds complicated but English is not my native language

Thanks a lot
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 03-18-2010, 12:38 AM

I don't think it would work to boot an alternate partition and then clone it back- Windows will assign different drive letters and other things may not work. Does this Macrium allow for creating a disk image in a second partition and then booting into a "recovery" program the way Acronis TrueImage does? That would be the best option, I'd think.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10

« Free Bluetooth? | Speakers now or wait for RAM? »