External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#1) Old

Default My converted Zippered Binder/dayplanner case for my mini9 - 03-01-2010, 05:52 PM

I needed something to put my mini 9 in that looked somewhat normal/presentable in public. And the Purple crown royal bag I had been using just wouldnt do (lol). So I took an old dayplanner/zippered binder I had laying around, removed the 3-ring binder mechanism, cut out a piece of rubber-like plastic from a placemat and stitch-tacked it in as a liner.

Was kinda quick and dirty, but it fits the bill. Also... it effectively disguises my mini when closed. People will think its just a large dayplanner. The mini9 fits perfectly,but there is no room for accessories, but I dont really need them that much when using it in public. The zipper teeth are tiny and made of plastic so I doubt there will be much wear from them on my mini. The mini fits pretty snug sandwiched inside and doesnt slide around when closed.

Here are the pics....

Closed with mini 9 inside ..... http://i.imgur.com/ZuNGY.jpg

Open and empty showing liner .... http://i.imgur.com/c2h2w.jpg

Open with mini 9 inside..... http://i.imgur.com/CKLse.jpg

Note: I was forced to use paint to edit the photos so forgive the horrible crop-jobs

edit: if anyone cares to know... it is a Cambridge brand 3 ring binder/dayplanner from over 10 years ago.
  (#2) Old
macaroni

Default 03-01-2010, 06:25 PM

love the ingenuity....necessity is the mother of invention.

A winter knit cap from a dollar store works as a sleeve too, and a perfect fit at that; though much less protected than your setup, but it's a quick fix
  (#3) Old

Default 03-02-2010, 11:58 AM

Nice! Looks good.
  (#4) Old

Thumbs up Decoy case! - 05-09-2010, 09:57 PM

This is a great idea!
No one would suspect there is a computer inside.

Classy too.
Great work!

Wherever to go... there you are.
  (#5) Old

Default 05-10-2010, 03:23 AM

Yes, I did the same thing on mine, perfect fit, and the edges are nice and strong.
  (#6) Old

Default 05-10-2010, 04:11 PM

Mines was a Tan-coloured Leather 'Organiser' from about 6 years ago, that lay in a cupboard. I had paid about £2 for it in a Staples sale - since it was nearly out of date and people were using Palms and stuff... Thought it would come in handy one day!

Pulled the ring-binder from it and it's perfect. It even has some slim pockets I keep SDHC cards in.

Mini9, 2Gb, 8Gb SSD, 16Gb SDHC, SL 10.6.3, Sound fix without Voodoo, Bluetooth Mod, NBI 0.8.4
  (#7) Old

Default 05-10-2010, 04:52 PM

Oh yes, I forgot, when you've pulled the ring binder out, you can screw it to the wall of your shed or garage, and it makes an excellent place, to hang some tools. Honest!

« Dell Mini Case/Sleeve | 10v leather case for 6 cell battery? »