External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#1) Old

Default dc auto cord for the Mini - 10-08-2008, 06:39 PM

i know it is early but has anyone found an auto/plane power adapter for the mini? I just am looking for as many eyes as possible to find one.

ken r
  (#2) Old

Default Re: dc auto cord for the Mini - 10-08-2008, 07:22 PM

I have not heard of any that work yet. THey should follow soon. Fortunately my Caliber has a standard outlet in it.

I have heard of a few others who have purchased adapters thinking they would work and they did not. Give it a month and their should be some--though there are a few cheap power inverters on the market that would do the trick too. I got a 20 dollar inverter from walmart from prior to having a built in inverter.
  (#3) Old
Expert Member

Default Re: dc auto cord for the Mini - 10-09-2008, 11:22 AM

My recommendation is to simply pick up a small AC power inverter and use that with your Mini 9's adapter.

The Mini 9's AC adapter draws so little power that even a small one should handle it fine.
It will cost less than a special cable and can be used to charge or operate other devices, so it's more useful than a dedicated adapter would be.

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast
  (#4) Old

Default Re: dc auto cord for the Mini - 10-09-2008, 04:02 PM

no an inverter is definitely the wrong way to go. unless you get a full sine wave you are endangering your computer. There is no substitute for a genuine auto/plane cord. I guess i will just have to wait until someone brings one out. getting auto cords from cheap companies is not safe either. you want something that will take the spikes in a auto system and even them out.

ken r
  (#5) Old
Expert Member

Default Re: dc auto cord for the Mini - 10-09-2008, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken_r
no an inverter is definitely the wrong way to go. unless you get a full sine wave you are endangering your computer. There is no substitute for a genuine auto/plane cord. I guess i will just have to wait until someone brings one out. getting auto cords from cheap companies is not safe either. you want something that will take the spikes in a auto system and even them out.

ken r
Heeey that's a very good point!
You try to get even a smaller true sine wave inverter and the cost is going to be a wash with "the real thing".

Point taken, and with thanks sir! :ugeek:

(#6) Old

Default Re: dc auto cord for the Mini - 10-09-2008, 08:57 PM

Do you have reason to believe an inverter is more likely to fry the Mini 9 than any other device? If I had to buy the specific DC adapter to power each of my toys, I'd be wasting a lot of bucks that could better be allocated to memory upgrades, etc. I think any device with a switching power supply can deal with a stepped sign wave from an inexpensive inverter. Haven't fryed anything yet, and I've powered many a laptop with my $30 Wal-Mart inverter.

I used to buy all the accessories for my new toys, and too many times they get lost or broken, and it is just one more thing to dispose of in three years when the toy outlives its usefulness.
  (#7) Old

Default Re: dc auto cord for the Mini - 10-09-2008, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon
Do you have reason to believe an inverter is more likely to fry the Mini 9 than any other device? If I had to buy the specific DC adapter to power each of my toys, I'd be wasting a lot of bucks that could better be allocated to memory upgrades, etc. I think any device with a switching power supply can deal with a stepped sign wave from an inexpensive inverter. Haven't fryed anything yet, and I've powered many a laptop with my $30 Wal-Mart inverter.

I used to buy all the accessories for my new toys, and too many times they get lost or broken, and it is just one more thing to dispose of in three years when the toy outlives its usefulness.
I certainly hear where you are coming from, with all of the tech items people have now, you coudl easily have half a dozen different adapters.

I have a pretty cool inverter that also has a built in battery, I haven't tested how long it will power the MINI, and I can't recall the specs on it but it will probably get me another hour or more and it's not too big.
  (#8) Old

Default Re: dc auto cord for the Mini - 10-23-2008, 02:35 PM

Use the iGo system for Inspiron 1420. Assuming they come out with the appropriate "tip", is there any reason this wouldn't work with mini?
  (#9) Old
Expert Member

Default Re: dc auto cord for the Mini - 10-26-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciassk
Use the iGo system for Inspiron 1420. Assuming they come out with the appropriate "tip", is there any reason this wouldn't work with mini?
It should work fine. iGo makes some good stuff.
http://www.igo.com

(#10) Old

Default Re: dc auto cord for the Mini - 10-29-2008, 09:46 AM

I've been using a square wave to power my computers for over 10 years with no problems at all! My whole house is solar powered and have the inverter to change dc to ac that runs everything including a refrigerator....
I'm using my Mini on square wave to reply to this post right now!!!
//bob

« SD Cards, files larger than 4GB | USB SD Card Readers »