External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1) Old
ken_r ken_r is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 24
Join Date: Oct 2008
Default dc auto cord for the Mini - 10-08-2008, 06:39 PM

i know it is early but has anyone found an auto/plane power adapter for the mini? I just am looking for as many eyes as possible to find one.

ken r
Reply With Quote
  (#2) Old
medicThree medicThree is offline
Senior Member
 
Posts: 403
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Middle Earth
Default Re: dc auto cord for the Mini - 10-08-2008, 07:22 PM

I have not heard of any that work yet. THey should follow soon. Fortunately my Caliber has a standard outlet in it.

I have heard of a few others who have purchased adapters thinking they would work and they did not. Give it a month and their should be some--though there are a few cheap power inverters on the market that would do the trick too. I got a 20 dollar inverter from walmart from prior to having a built in inverter.
Reply With Quote
  (#3) Old
strider_mt2k strider_mt2k is offline
Expert Member
 
strider_mt2k's Avatar
 
Posts: 867
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Southern New Jersey, USA
Default Re: dc auto cord for the Mini - 10-09-2008, 11:22 AM

My recommendation is to simply pick up a small AC power inverter and use that with your Mini 9's adapter.

The Mini 9's AC adapter draws so little power that even a small one should handle it fine.
It will cost less than a special cable and can be used to charge or operate other devices, so it's more useful than a dedicated adapter would be.


Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast
Reply With Quote
  (#4) Old
ken_r ken_r is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 24
Join Date: Oct 2008
Default Re: dc auto cord for the Mini - 10-09-2008, 04:02 PM

no an inverter is definitely the wrong way to go. unless you get a full sine wave you are endangering your computer. There is no substitute for a genuine auto/plane cord. I guess i will just have to wait until someone brings one out. getting auto cords from cheap companies is not safe either. you want something that will take the spikes in a auto system and even them out.

ken r
Reply With Quote
  (#5) Old
strider_mt2k strider_mt2k is offline
Expert Member
 
strider_mt2k's Avatar
 
Posts: 867
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Southern New Jersey, USA
Default Re: dc auto cord for the Mini - 10-09-2008, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken_r
no an inverter is definitely the wrong way to go. unless you get a full sine wave you are endangering your computer. There is no substitute for a genuine auto/plane cord. I guess i will just have to wait until someone brings one out. getting auto cords from cheap companies is not safe either. you want something that will take the spikes in a auto system and even them out.

ken r
Heeey that's a very good point!
You try to get even a smaller true sine wave inverter and the cost is going to be a wash with "the real thing".

Point taken, and with thanks sir! :ugeek:


Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast
Reply With Quote
  (#6) Old
photon photon is offline
Member
 
Posts: 42
Join Date: Oct 2008
Default Re: dc auto cord for the Mini - 10-09-2008, 08:57 PM

Do you have reason to believe an inverter is more likely to fry the Mini 9 than any other device? If I had to buy the specific DC adapter to power each of my toys, I'd be wasting a lot of bucks that could better be allocated to memory upgrades, etc. I think any device with a switching power supply can deal with a stepped sign wave from an inexpensive inverter. Haven't fryed anything yet, and I've powered many a laptop with my $30 Wal-Mart inverter.

I used to buy all the accessories for my new toys, and too many times they get lost or broken, and it is just one more thing to dispose of in three years when the toy outlives its usefulness.
Reply With Quote
  (#7) Old
PM5K PM5K is offline
Member
 
Posts: 77
Join Date: Oct 2008
Default Re: dc auto cord for the Mini - 10-09-2008, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon
Do you have reason to believe an inverter is more likely to fry the Mini 9 than any other device? If I had to buy the specific DC adapter to power each of my toys, I'd be wasting a lot of bucks that could better be allocated to memory upgrades, etc. I think any device with a switching power supply can deal with a stepped sign wave from an inexpensive inverter. Haven't fryed anything yet, and I've powered many a laptop with my $30 Wal-Mart inverter.

I used to buy all the accessories for my new toys, and too many times they get lost or broken, and it is just one more thing to dispose of in three years when the toy outlives its usefulness.
I certainly hear where you are coming from, with all of the tech items people have now, you coudl easily have half a dozen different adapters.

I have a pretty cool inverter that also has a built in battery, I haven't tested how long it will power the MINI, and I can't recall the specs on it but it will probably get me another hour or more and it's not too big.
Reply With Quote
  (#8) Old
maciassk maciassk is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 2
Join Date: Oct 2008
Default Re: dc auto cord for the Mini - 10-23-2008, 02:35 PM

Use the iGo system for Inspiron 1420. Assuming they come out with the appropriate "tip", is there any reason this wouldn't work with mini?
Reply With Quote
  (#9) Old
strider_mt2k strider_mt2k is offline
Expert Member
 
strider_mt2k's Avatar
 
Posts: 867
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Southern New Jersey, USA
Default Re: dc auto cord for the Mini - 10-26-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciassk
Use the iGo system for Inspiron 1420. Assuming they come out with the appropriate "tip", is there any reason this wouldn't work with mini?
It should work fine. iGo makes some good stuff.
http://www.igo.com


Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast
Reply With Quote
  (#10) Old
bobdeloyd bobdeloyd is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1
Join Date: Oct 2008
Default Re: dc auto cord for the Mini - 10-29-2008, 09:46 AM

I've been using a square wave to power my computers for over 10 years with no problems at all! My whole house is solar powered and have the inverter to change dc to ac that runs everything including a refrigerator....
I'm using my Mini on square wave to reply to this post right now!!!
//bob
Reply With Quote
Reply

« SD Cards, files larger than 4GB | USB SD Card Readers »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Copyright © 2008-2016 MyDellMini.com.