External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#81) Old

Default Re: Mini Skins? - 03-26-2009, 01:23 PM

if you just wanted solid black, you could purchase some of this:
http://www.scrapbookdiecutter.com/mm5/m ... y_Code=VNL

There are a bunch of different colors available, and you can also get a lot of those colors in matte as well. I may make mine a matte color and then apply a design

(#82) Old

Default Re: Mini Skins? - 03-27-2009, 05:19 PM

Just installed SGPStore carbon fiber skin. The quality of it does indeed exceed expectations however, as has been noted, when you apply it evenly over the Dell logo it is slightly unequal when it comes to the edges. It will bug you for about a day.
Very pleased with it.

(#83) Old

Default Re: Mini Skins? - 03-28-2009, 06:35 PM

find an adhesive a4 photo paper pack in an office supply store. 2 dollars. pop in a printer and print you own skin.
  (#84) Old

Default Re: Mini Skins? - 03-28-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soc71
Just installed SGPStore carbon fiber skin. The quality of it does indeed exceed expectations however, as has been noted, when you apply it evenly over the Dell logo it is slightly unequal when it comes to the edges. It will bug you for about a day.
Very pleased with it.

Soc71, your photos are 100 times better than the SGP official ones! Great job! 8-)

2 GB corsair, 32 GB Runcore, OSX 10.5.7, DellEFI 1.2a5.
  (#85) Old

Default Re: Mini Skins? - 03-29-2009, 05:12 AM

can i use screen protector as a clear skin?
  (#86) Old

Default Re: Mini Skins? - 03-30-2009, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halu2047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soc71
Very pleased with it.

Soc71, your photos are 100 times better than the SGP official ones! Great job! 8-)
Thanks! Everyone's pictures here have been such a help. (I wish manufacturers would give us "everyday" shots.)
  (#87) Old

Default Re: Mini Skins? - 03-30-2009, 03:13 AM

Does anyone know if a plain vinyl sticker (i.e. an Apple logo) would adhere to one of these SGP skins without a cutout for the Dell logo? It seems that due to the material it is made out of, that a sticker wouldn't really stick to it properly....but I'm hoping I'm wrong. If anyone has any input please send it my way! Thanks.
  (#88) Old

Default Re: Mini Skins? - 03-30-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcarewe
Does anyone know if a plain vinyl sticker (i.e. an Apple logo) would adhere to one of these SGP skins without a cutout for the Dell logo? It seems that due to the material it is made out of, that a sticker wouldn't really stick to it properly....but I'm hoping I'm wrong. If anyone has any input please send it my way! Thanks.
I tried that, but it did not look good.
The problem is that the apple logo sticker (which I custom-made through an eBay vendor) was kind of thin. It would be perfectly fine if it's applied on a smooth surface. However, it'll show the texture of the SGP skins when you put it on top.

And by the way, I use the leather skin from SGP, whose texture is very noticeable.

2 GB corsair, 32 GB Runcore, OSX 10.5.7, DellEFI 1.2a5.
  (#89) Old

Default Re: Mini Skins? - 04-01-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor
find an adhesive a4 photo paper pack in an office supply store. 2 dollars. pop in a printer and print you own skin.
Will this leave a sticky residue when you go to remove it?
  (#90) Old

Default Re: Mini Skins? Carbon Skin? - 05-06-2009, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcamp7

okay so my carbon fiber skin from sgpstore.com came in and all I can say is WOW! This is the absolute best quality skin I have ever seen. I have had skins from decal girl and 3acp and this is in a whole different league. So you are probably wondering what makes it so great?
-First off I have to be honest and say that I want to lie and tell you that it's terrible quality and to stay away from it, just so not everyone has it, 8-) but after purchasing from this company for the first time and receiving the product, I feel they deserve all of the praise I can give them.
- This is NOT just a photograph of carbon fiber on a sticker, this is actually some type of fabric type stuff. I am sure it's not real carbon fiber (no way they could do it for the price.) but it certainly looks and feel just like carbon fiber in it's raw state. It has the actual texture of carbon fiber as well.
- It is not glossy, so that means no finger prints! It has a sheen to it, but due to it being a fabric then you are left fingerprint free.
-The quality of the cloth (or whatever it is), is superb and feels amazing. I am telling you, this is top notch quality.
-I thought application might take some work, but installation was easy as could be. The cool thing about it is it has a reusable adhesive on it, so it's extremely easy to pull off and reapply. It's 100% reusable. I could pull this thing off right now and give it to someone else to use. It will not stretch like others, because it is a thicker type material, but at the same time holds strong to my computer and shouldn't start peeling off either.
-I thought having the center emblem cut out would make it tougher, but it actually helped in getting everything lined up.
-I have only had it on for a day, but I don't see it getting scratched very easily, due to the fact it's not just a printed sticker.
-Total cost only $22.62 with priority shipping. Ordered late Monday night and received on Thursday.

Anyway, all I can say is this is the first time ever I have purchased a skin and then when I got it was just like "wow, now that's what I have been looking for". The feel, quality, and look is nothing short of amazing! I have nothing negative whatsoever to say. I took off my $38 zagg shield (just the part where this goes), in order to put this on, because it looked so incredible.

Here is a link for the page that has all of their Dell products including the mini 9 skins:
http://www.sgpstore.com/index.php/cPath/23_60
The only thing I will mention is it didn't come with the pieces shown in the pics that cover the palm rest. I contacted them about it, just wondering if some pieces were missing, and they quickly and nicely I might add responded and apologized, letting me know that those pics are the same ones used on their japan website and that at the moment they do not have those pieces over here in the US yet, but will very shortly and informed me that I will be able to get them when they are available. So I will just leave my invisible shield pieces on until then.

So here are some pics I tried to take, but they just absolutely don't do any justice to this skin. You must see it in person. If anyone wants to fly to Milford, OH to see it let me know, but it's probably just cheaper to buy one yourself! :mrgreen:
And sorry for the blurry ones, It seemed without flash it helped show how the item actually looks a little better.
http://www.sgpstore.com/product_info.ph ... cts_id/604
seems they just released it recently ,but do you really think it's needed for mini? mini is just so mini!

Tags
dell, laptop, skins

« Nice Sleeves for Mini 9/a90's on Sale for $1.00 | Solar Powered Mini 9? »