External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#61) Old

Default Re: Mini Skins? - 03-06-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcamp7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD99
Hmmm interesting product.

On that note, I wonder if the clear bra material I have left over from my cars will work. I want to retain the original clean, Alpine White finish, but also protect the lid from potential scratches.

I have sufficient experience tinting vehicle windows and installing clear bras, so I'll have to give it a shot and post the outcome soon.
I installed a clear bra on my car and had the invisible shield on my mini and it is quite possible it is the same material however there is definately a difference in the thickness.
Well I gave it a shot last night and posted my results in a new "DIY" thread:

clear-bra-diy-with-color-pics-t4723.html

Dell Inspiron 1750, T6600, 4GB RAM, Wireless N
  (#62) Old

Default Re: Mini Skins? - 03-06-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Dave
I have the hole in the skin as perfectly as I am able to get it around the Dell logo. There is a hair of black of the case showing evenly all the way around.

I have the skin square to the bottom (hinge) side of the case. Thats where there is a smidge of overlap.

Its when I was applying the left and right side stripes of the skin that I observed the little bit of side-to-side unevenness. It is closer on one side than the other.

I probably need to take twenty-seven eight-by-ten color glossy photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one in order to explain this any better.

The nice thing about these skins is I can reapply it a thousand times an hour and it is supposed to stay sticky. I think I have it as good as its going to get right now, but the fact is that the logo hole is a smidge off-center. If you can't handle that, don't buy it. Forewarned, I might not have bought this skin. I might have opted for a more conventional thin "decalgirl" type skin where the carbon is all look and no texture. But I do like the matte finish and the texture.
I have to admit that mine is off a hair as well and I apologize for not ever mentioning that before in my original post of my review of it, however I got it close enough that for me it never really bothered me, plus I have not had a single person ever notice it including friends that have looked at it extremely closely. I guess for me it bothered me for a minute or two but playing with it enough, I got it to look pretty close, or at least close enough that you don't notice without starting to take measurements. I do hope that soon they come out with the pieces for the inside area, as I think that would complete the look for me.

Red Dell Mini 9, 64GB Runcore ssd, 2GB ram, os X 10.5.6, bluetooth, camera. The Dell mini is the greatest thing since sliced bread!
  (#63) Old

Default Re: Mini Skins? - 03-07-2009, 05:32 AM

I've had the sgpstore carbon skin on since Tues when the black Mini showed up. I'm >95% satisfied with it. It isn't absolutely perfect, but I'm glad I have it instead of a slippery decalgirl skin for this Mini. The fact that it is matte, textured, and a bit grippy is worth the nearly-insignificant imperfection. As your experience, nobody but me knows that the decal isn't perfectly centered. Most people assume its a factory job. I really like how much of a better grip I have on the Mini when I grab it out of its sleeve. It feels secure in my hands, like a football, not slippery like a wet ice-cube.

His: Obsidian Mini-9: Karmic UNR w/ Vbox-XP, 2gb, 32gb STEC, 16gb Transcend(6), US-INTL, sgpstore carbon
Hers: Arctic Mini-9: Dell Ubuntu, 1gb, 16gb STEC, 8gb SDHC(6)
Are you a Help Vampire?
  (#64) Old

Default Re: Mini Skins? - 03-09-2009, 02:29 PM

I got the sgp carbon fiber skin as well and have the same problem. the logo isn't centered. for the most part i really like it. My issue is I got my mini as a gift and received it with one of dells art skin/lid. So since the sgp skin doesn't cover the entire lid you can see the original art around the edges witch is annoying. Ill keep the sgp on till I can find a solution to cover the entire thing edge to edge, but i doubt i will. LOL
  (#65) Old

Default Re: Mini Skins? - 03-11-2009, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Dave
I have the hole in the skin as perfectly as I am able to get it around the Dell logo. There is a hair of black of the case showing evenly all the way around.

I have the skin square to the bottom (hinge) side of the case. Thats where there is a smidge of overlap.

Its when I was applying the left and right side stripes of the skin that I observed the little bit of side-to-side unevenness. It is closer on one side than the other.

I probably need to take twenty-seven eight-by-ten color glossy photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one in order to explain this any better.

The nice thing about these skins is I can reapply it a thousand times an hour and it is supposed to stay sticky. I think I have it as good as its going to get right now, but the fact is that the logo hole is a smidge off-center. If you can't handle that, don't buy it. Forewarned, I might not have bought this skin. I might have opted for a more conventional thin "decalgirl" type skin where the carbon is all look and no texture. But I do like the matte finish and the texture.
AK Dave, can you post any pictures of your carbon skin on a black unit? I think the pictures on their website are carbon on white. I'm not so concerned about the imperfections of alighnment as curious about the overall look of black on black.

Also, is it feasible to cut just a bit off the bottom to get rid of the smidge of overlap and a bit off the left (or right) to get rid of the side-to-side unevenness? Although if the offsets are less than 1mm, it might be hard to get this right (that would suck to cut a bit off the left, then the right, then the left. . . .until you only have a carbon stripe down the middle. )

My black mini should be arriving soon, and my carbon skin is on the way as well. I'll find out soon enough what it looks like, etc, but am just being eager and impatient.
  (#66) Old

Default Re: Mini Skins? - 03-12-2009, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetlover
AK Dave, can you post any pictures of your carbon skin on a black unit? I think the pictures on their website are carbon on white. I'm not so concerned about the imperfections of alighnment as curious about the overall look of black on black.

Also, is it feasible to cut just a bit off the bottom to get rid of the smidge of overlap and a bit off the left (or right) to get rid of the side-to-side unevenness? Although if the offsets are less than 1mm, it might be hard to get this right (that would suck to cut a bit off the left, then the right, then the left. . . .until you only have a carbon stripe down the middle. )

My black mini should be arriving soon, and my carbon skin is on the way as well. I'll find out soon enough what it looks like, etc, but am just being eager and impatient.
Nevermind, I got mine today (both the mini and the SGP skin). I don't know if they changed the design slightly or what, but I don't get any overhang on the hinge side and I don't sense any left-right unevenness. But I have a black unit and I think black is going to be a lot more forgiving of any imperfections. I only had to apply it 3-4x to get it to my satisfaction. I'm slightly picky, but not excessively so.

I'd give it a 5/5. Good protection and a classy look to boot.

I think it's
  (#67) Old

Default Re: Mini Skins? - 03-12-2009, 04:41 PM

gadgetlover ,

Just to clarify was it the carbon one? I'm still debating between that one and the leatherish ones. And if the logo lines up better now, I may just go with this one (hoping for one just like it)
  (#68) Old

Default Re: Mini Skins? - 03-12-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbbl
gadgetlover ,

Just to clarify was it the carbon one? I'm still debating between that one and the leatherish ones. And if the logo lines up better now, I may just go with this one (hoping for one just like it)
Yes, the carbon one. Again, just to reiterate. . .since I have a black one, it may be more forgiving of any minor alignment issues. But I haven't noticed any.

What I can say definitively is that there's no overhang on either side (front/back). I currently have my hole for the Dell logo offset by maybe 0.5mm (front back, not left/right) from exact center for no other reason than that's how it ended up and for my black finish, it's not noticeable enough for me to try and peel the whole thing off and try again (although I may later).

Cosmetic things to consider:
* Because the Dell logo cutout shows through the hole, you have a glossy Dell logo in the middle of a matte/textured skin. Whether you like this or not is subjective. It bothers me a bit.
* Because the carbon skin is very textured, it can make it just a bit more effort to brush off specks of dust that get obstructed during the brush-off process by the texture. I think the leatherish ones wouldn't be as prone to this (my guess)
* I haven't seen anyone else mention this, but it seems to me you could debrand your Dell by not using the circular cutout that's left on the sheet when you peel off the main skin and apply this "circle skin" over your Dell logo. Just like some people like to de-badge their cars, this would give you a debranded netbook and also get rid of the glossy logo/matte skin issue in bullet#1. I'm going to try this tonight to see how I like it.

Overall, as others have said, the product quality is first-class and unless you really abuse it, I can't see the skin wearing out.
  (#69) Old

Default Re: Mini Skins? - 03-14-2009, 06:56 PM

This is the SGP dark gray leather-like skin. The color is actually much lighter than the one shown in their website.

As gadgetlover suggested, I reapplied the center circle part to cover the Dell logo. It would have been better if I had used some scotch tape to make sure the center part did not separate.

The skin looks and feels like leather (there is no smell though ), providing a good grip. It would have looked even better if my Mini was in black.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini back2.JPG (354.6 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg leather texture.JPG (357.1 KB, 145 views)

2 GB corsair, 32 GB Runcore, OSX 10.5.7, DellEFI 1.2a5.
  (#70) Old

Default Re: Mini Skins? - 03-14-2009, 07:23 PM

I'm a little slow. I didn't even realize that the center circle that stayed on the sheet came apart into 3 different pieces. I had left the entire circle remaining on the sheet, which is why the glossy part that showed through bothered me a bit. I was going to put the circle over the logo this morning, but in doing so, it came apart into the 3 pieces.

So now I've applied the skin the way it was intended with only the silver showing through, and it bothers me much less. However, now I can see how people can get picky about exactly applying the skin. When it was just an open circle, it wasn't a huge deal to be a little off. Now with the center cutout in place, little misalignments have the potential to bug a little more. I'm going to try this out for awhile, but I think this is how I'll keep it. I agree with halu2047 that if you do want to keep the entire sheet intact and show none of the logo, you best take some precautions to keep everything together to start with. With the carbon grain having a definitive direction, it will take some alignment work for me to place the concentric sticker perfectly over the silver circle/arc and have it look seamless.

Overall, still very happy with the skin, even happier now that I realized there was more to the center sticker than I originally realized. :lol:

Tags
dell, laptop, skins

« Nice Sleeves for Mini 9/a90's on Sale for $1.00 | Solar Powered Mini 9? »