External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#51) Old

Default Re: Mini Skins? - 02-13-2009, 07:24 PM

Hmmm interesting product.

On that note, I wonder if the clear bra material I have left over from my cars will work. I want to retain the original clean, Alpine White finish, but also protect the lid from potential scratches.

I have sufficient experience tinting vehicle windows and installing clear bras, so I'll have to give it a shot and post the outcome soon.

Dell Inspiron 1750, T6600, 4GB RAM, Wireless N
  (#52) Old

Default Re: Mini Skins? - 02-13-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD99
Hmmm interesting product.

On that note, I wonder if the clear bra material I have left over from my cars will work. I want to retain the original clean, Alpine White finish, but also protect the lid from potential scratches.

I have sufficient experience tinting vehicle windows and installing clear bras, so I'll have to give it a shot and post the outcome soon.
I installed a clear bra on my car and had the invisible shield on my mini and it is quite possible it is the same material however there is definately a difference in the thickness.

Red Dell Mini 9, 64GB Runcore ssd, 2GB ram, os X 10.5.6, bluetooth, camera. The Dell mini is the greatest thing since sliced bread!
  (#53) Old

Default Re: Mini Skins? - 02-27-2009, 08:08 PM

That sgpstore.com website is the worst excuse for an online storefront that I have ever had the torment to attempt to use, but with determined effort (determined because the pics look good and jlcamp7's shots are TOTALLY AWESOME) I finally got one ordered. According to the flurry of emails I have now recieved from sgpstore, the product shipped less than 12hr after I ordered it, so bigups to them for their efficiency.

Oh, and the pics look totally awesome on a red Mini. I regret to inform that I'll be putting mine on a black Mini.

Bonus: my friendly and ever-efficient rep at Dell informs me that the Mini I ordered on 16 FEB (Presidents Day Sale) with a promised ship date of 27 FEB, and which was cancelled due to some nitwits error at Dell, and which was re-ordered immediately with a new promised ship date of 13 MAR, should in fact ship "early next week" with free upgrade to overnight air. Soon I will have a new home for my U061H US-INTL keyboard and a 2gb stick from Crucial in a carbon-skinned black Mini (2gb/32gb Ubuntu), and my white Mini-9 (1gb/16gb Ubuntu) will be retired to my kids.

I think they're looking at something from skinit or 3acp to decorate the white Mini.

His: Obsidian Mini-9: Karmic UNR w/ Vbox-XP, 2gb, 32gb STEC, 16gb Transcend(6), US-INTL, sgpstore carbon
Hers: Arctic Mini-9: Dell Ubuntu, 1gb, 16gb STEC, 8gb SDHC(6)
Are you a Help Vampire?
  (#54) Old

Default Re: Mini Skins? - 03-01-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coasterg
That's a great deal on Zagg's products!

One thing to be aware of is that Zagg's shields are adhesive film so applying it can sometimes be an issue. I had it on a previous iPod awhile back and it was very good but I'm a disaster applying adhesive film so it was tough to get it on right. Something to be aware of.
I finally got around to installing mine last weekend. Having used their product before on a BB 8830 I knew it was going to take some time and patience (not my strong point) to get the job done. The Dell Mini 9, being a relatively larger device, than the BB 8830, was a bit easier. However, I still have not gotten all of the bubbles out of the leading edge of the LCD screen frame. My fault I'm sure. I wouldn't rely on the Zagg claim that the bubbles will work themselves out over time. Spend the time to work the bubbles out, or do a pull and start over while it is still wet.

One word of advice is to heed the advice to use the spray the outside of the applied applied skin. This helps lube the rubber scrapper card while you work out the bubbles. My kit failed to come with the rubber card so I got the old one of off my BB's kit. I know it is counter intuitive to be apply wet skin to a precious electronic device. Just make sure not to spare to much of the lube. Just quickly wipe the excess that bleeds over the edge. You will want to be able to make slight adjustments in the skin when it is first applied. Failing that pull it off and start again.

The Zagg skin by the way is far superior to anything I've seen on the market. It is well worth the trouble. One side benefit is that it had introduced a slight amount of drag on my track pad while scrolling down the right side with my finger. I've never been able to find the preferences in the OS that adjusted the sensitivity.-

Oh, and do Google for coupons for price break.
  (#55) Old

Default Re: Mini Skins? - 03-02-2009, 03:22 AM

touchpad sensitivity problem? Which OS?

His: Obsidian Mini-9: Karmic UNR w/ Vbox-XP, 2gb, 32gb STEC, 16gb Transcend(6), US-INTL, sgpstore carbon
Are you a Help Vampire?
  (#56) Old

Default Re: Mini Skins? - 03-03-2009, 09:27 PM

Check out this link on ebay http://stores.shop.ebay.com/3acp_Inspir ... ec0Q2em409

They have a ton of cool skins, I plan on getting one soon
  (#57) Old

Default Re: Mini Skins? - 03-03-2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyre
Check out this link on ebay http://stores.shop.ebay.com/3acp_Inspir ... ec0Q2em409

They have a ton of cool skins, I plan on getting one soon

Yo Dude - thats $26.00 plus shipping for a full set - if you go straight to their web site - www.3acp.com - you can pick up just the cover for about $12.00 plus shipping - that is where I got mine....I didn't want skin on the inside of my mini.......
Bruce

Obsidian Black Dell Mini 9 - 2gb ram, 32gb ssd, 1.3mb wc, bt, Windows XP Pro (Yeah!!!)
  (#58) Old

Default Re: Mini Skins? - 03-04-2009, 05:34 PM

My newest Mini arrived, black, very happy with it. Put the sgpstore skin on it first thing. Not completely sold on it.

First: I'm impressed that it comes with a nice microfiber wipe to clean the case before applying the skin. I like that the adhesive or whatever on the skin allows me to apply it dozens of times, because it took me dozens of attempts before I got the center hole lined up perfectly on the Dell logo. I'm mildly disappointed that the skin doesn't include a piece to cover the bezel or any of the internals, but as I intend to do a total breakdown on my Mini and airbrush the inside face of the case this isn't a big deal to me.

I expected the sgpstore carbon skin to be a slightly thicker vinyl than a standard "decalgirl" type skin. I wasn't wrong. Thats not a problem. The thicker vinyl isn't as stretchy and doesn't take well to complex curves, which is why the sgpstore carbon skin comes in multiple pieces. The problem I have is that I applied the skin with the Dell logo centered on the skin, and the skin itself ends up being off-center on the laptop lid. The bottom edge (hinge side) of the skin overlaps the Mini's lid by < 0.5mm, and the skin is not centered left-to-right.

I blame this on the hole cut for the Dell logo being off-center on the sgpstore carbon skin. The dimensions on the skin are fine. If I shift the skin less than half a millimeter, the edges are perfectly even. But then the Dell logo isn't centered in the skin's hole.

I'll ponder this for a day before I decide if "pretty close" is "close enough" and therefore "acceptable". But it isn't PERFECT, and if they're going to factory-cut these things with laser dies and whatever else they use they should take a moment to make sure that the darn things are PERFECT.

My rating: 4 stars (of 5). Would have been 3.5, but I'll give them credit for EXTREMELY PROMPT service and for throwing in the microfiber wipe. In the end "pretty close" is still "pretty good" even if it isn't perfect. The imperfection is something I notice because I applied the skin, but nobody else is even aware of unless I point it out.

Are you a Help Vampire?
  (#59) Old

Default Re: Mini Skins? - 03-04-2009, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Dave

I expected the sgpstore carbon skin to be a slightly thicker vinyl than a standard "decalgirl" type skin. I wasn't wrong. Thats not a problem. The thicker vinyl isn't as stretchy and doesn't take well to complex curves, which is why the sgpstore carbon skin comes in multiple pieces. The problem I have is that I applied the skin with the Dell logo centered on the skin, and the skin itself ends up being off-center on the laptop lid. The bottom edge (hinge side) of the skin overlaps the Mini's lid by < 0.5mm, and the skin is not centered left-to-right.

I blame this on the hole cut for the Dell logo being off-center on the sgpstore carbon skin. The dimensions on the skin are fine. If I shift the skin less than half a millimeter, the edges are perfectly even. But then the Dell logo isn't centered in the skin's hole.
lol someone had exact same issue with their skin as i did!
I have their skin for my dell 1525 and the logo was not centered.
But what i found as i tried thousands of times to get it look-almost-centered,
their logo cut-out is not perfect fit size as is on the laptop, logo has 0.5 or less(? ) milimeter gap and i assume they did that because they thought that could be easier for some poeple to install as almost-fitted.
it took me about two hours ughhhh and yeah i got it centered whatsoever..l0l
If off-centered-logo-look irritates you, then you might wanna reapply it
  (#60) Old

Default Re: Mini Skins? - 03-05-2009, 12:38 AM

I have the hole in the skin as perfectly as I am able to get it around the Dell logo. There is a hair of black of the case showing evenly all the way around.

I have the skin square to the bottom (hinge) side of the case. Thats where there is a smidge of overlap.

Its when I was applying the left and right side stripes of the skin that I observed the little bit of side-to-side unevenness. It is closer on one side than the other.

I probably need to take twenty-seven eight-by-ten color glossy photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one in order to explain this any better.

The nice thing about these skins is I can reapply it a thousand times an hour and it is supposed to stay sticky. I think I have it as good as its going to get right now, but the fact is that the logo hole is a smidge off-center. If you can't handle that, don't buy it. Forewarned, I might not have bought this skin. I might have opted for a more conventional thin "decalgirl" type skin where the carbon is all look and no texture. But I do like the matte finish and the texture.

Are you a Help Vampire?

Tags
dell, laptop, skins

« Nice Sleeves for Mini 9/a90's on Sale for $1.00 | Solar Powered Mini 9? »