External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#21) Old

Default Re: Mini Skins? - 11-20-2008, 12:42 AM

Yes you can remove them. And no they don't leave any residue.

Dell Mini 9:Black:GelaSkin by Daim:32GB RunCore SSD:2GB RAM:Bluetoothell 1505 b/g/n
  (#22) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Mini Skins? - 11-23-2008, 09:46 PM

The 3acp skins cover the speakers and LED for the webcam. I ignored the LED issue but cut the bottom of the frame skin so as to not cover the speakers.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#23) Old

Default Re: Mini Skins? - 11-26-2008, 03:36 AM

Got my 3acp skin today and installed it
Kinda disappointed in the printing quality. The skin itself is stuck to a white backing paper, and then stuck to a film. Makes applying it easy. Seems kinda stretchy, as the bubbles I had were quickly pressed away, but I didnt have to work them to a corner...IE: its not a thick vinyl but a thinner type
Here is a pic of it applied:

And heres a tighter crop, Obviously, this is pretty close, but its pretty noticeable from a 2-3 feet (normal distance) Follow Link to full size shot
http://www.flickr.com/photos/slvrsco...32879/sizes/o/

:sad:

Mini 9: Black, WinXP, 2GB GSkill RAM, 16GB STEC SSD, Intel 5300 a/b/g/n, BlueTooth, 8 cell battery (11hr runtime)
  (#24) Old

Default Re: Mini Skins? - 11-26-2008, 02:46 PM

Thanks for posting the pics, kind of surprised at the quality, given the price.

Obsidian Mini9 - Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope 9.04 (Full version) with Cairo Dock, 16GB Runcore SSD, 1GB RAM, 8GB SDHC Class 6, Bluetooth (dongle), Burl Walnut skin
  (#25) Old

Default Re: Mini Skins? - 11-26-2008, 07:22 PM

I ripped my 3acp skin off. Just not impressed with the quality. It definitely did not leave any residue, but because its so thin, it distorted some during removal so wasn't reusable. Like I said, not impressed. These are just really thin, and the artwork quality isn't very good.

I went with a gelaskin, seen here:

I bought the 12" powerbook version and cut it down with an exacto knife. The gelaskins are very high quality, and incredibly easy to install. Also, they clearly pay their artists, which is always nice.

Cutting it down was pretty easy, though the three corners I had to round off myself were slightly tricky. I found an SD card case that I think came with my Sandisk SDHC card that had basically the same rounded edge as the one existing corner I could use. Came out very nicely. Now 6 1/4" x 8 1/2". Looks very cool.

Dell Mini 9:Black:GelaSkin by Daim:32GB RunCore SSD:2GB RAM:Bluetoothell 1505 b/g/n
  (#26) Old

Default Re: Mini Skins? - 11-27-2008, 03:30 PM

i got a 3acp skin from ebay and i like it alot! i know some people dont like them but i think it is fine quality. also it is not necessary to cut holes where the speakers are. i was worried about it lowering the volume but i cant tell any diffrence in volume at all because it only coveres half of the useable speaker grill... you can see the useable part if you hold you mini up to a bright light, just look at the tiny little speakers and the huge grill. and the led light for the webcam shines through the skin (i cut a small hole with a knife anyway).

heres a pic of the back and the screen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 137.jpg (854.4 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 139.jpg (807.4 KB, 120 views)

white Mini 9 W/ 2gb ram, 16gb ssd, bluetooth, 1.3mp webcam
  (#27) Old

Default Re: Mini Skins? - 12-03-2008, 05:57 AM

Just an FYI they updated skinit.com to and added the Mini 9....

mine is ordered I'll post pix once I get it.
  (#28) Old

Default Re: Mini Skins? Carbon Skin? - 12-14-2008, 12:20 AM

http://www.sgpstore.com/product_info.ph ... cts_id/354

Has anyone seen this one? I assume it is a photograph of Carbon and metal on vinyl skin right? For that price it would have to be. Looks kind of neat, but it is hard to tell how it looks in person.
  (#29) Old

Default Re: Mini Skins? - 12-18-2008, 07:16 PM

The skin for a 17" laptop is generally about 10"x15" (give or take a little), so 150" square. With the dimensions of the mini 9, it's a little over 62" square for the lid (hard to calculate with the curve to the lid). One could measure the laptop surfaces and make a template for filling in graphics and then upload it to a skin creator. So you could conceivably make a custom skin for a 17" laptop that would be cut out to cover the lid, base (around panels/vents/screws), and the inner surfaces around the keyboard and screen of the mini 9.
  (#30) Old

Default Re: Mini Skins? - 12-18-2008, 10:16 PM

8 1/2" x 6 1/4" works pretty well, though if I were to do it again I would cut it just a little bigger than that to wrap around the curves just a little more...

Tags
dell, laptop, skins

« Nice Sleeves for Mini 9/a90's on Sale for $1.00 | Solar Powered Mini 9? »