External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#141) Old

Default 10-18-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonatacreative View Post
I'm going to be trying something a bit different. Ordered a skin from the SGP store for an Apple Macbook. I did this because they have the precut apple already in them. I also ordered some scrap 3m reflective material (orange and white) off of ebay. My plan is to put the reflective material down first (haven't decided if I want to go with orange or white yet) to cover the dell logo and then to cut the Macbook SGP skin to fit the Mini 9 and overlay that. Hopefully when I'm done I'll have a nice textured SGP skin with a reflective Apple logo in the center. I'm stoked about this too, as this should give the feel that the apple logo is slightly recessed in rather than it being a sticker that sticks out. Also- since the apple logo is precut to fit actual Macbooks, you know that it will be a clean cut (no jagged edges) and the exact same size as a regulation Apple product. I'll post photos if this thing turns out well... I'm really hoping it will.
That's a great fricken idea man. You know, I bet if you called them and told them you wanted a solid mini 10 skin, and asked them to make an apple cut, they would do it.

Man.. I just installed the solid version not too long ago. Looks like I may be buying another.

Dell Mini 10v Mac OSX 10.6.2 1 GB RAM 160GB HDD BIOS A05 Blue Tooth 1510 WLAN 802.11g /n

NBI 8.2 -> NBI 8.3RC2 -> NBI 8.3RC3 -> NBI 8.3RC5 -> NBI 8.3 alpha

USB Legacy Disabled | USB Wake Enabled | BT Enabled |

www.suckerpunchent.com
  (#142) Old

Default 10-18-2009, 10:20 PM

I ordered a leather sgp solid skin also. I was able to put that on..but from angles..you can see the Dell circle underneath. I know its not 100% perfect and flat.

Eventually someone will have to putty and cover the dell logo before applying a skin.

Maybe a thin coat of toothpaste will work!

Mini 10v
  (#143) Old

Default 10-18-2009, 11:11 PM

You know what I'm going to do.. I'm going to call and see if they will cut the apple on a 10 skin. Sonatacreative has me all motivated now LOL If not then get order the Apple skin.

Since I already have the solid 10 skin ...take it off the computer and stick it to the underside of the Apple skin (before taking the backing off) then cut around the 10 skin using it as a template.

Dell Mini 10v Mac OSX 10.6.2 1 GB RAM 160GB HDD BIOS A05 Blue Tooth 1510 WLAN 802.11g /n

www.suckerpunchent.com
  (#144) Old

Default 10-19-2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dell extraordinaire View Post
i'm generally not a fan of mucking around with the clean design of most laptops i own, but that looks pretty neat!
+1 :d

(#145) Old

Default 10-19-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Hunter View Post
You know what I'm going to do.. I'm going to call and see if they will cut the apple on a 10 skin. Sonatacreative has me all motivated now LOL If not then get order the Apple skin.

Since I already have the solid 10 skin ...take it off the computer and stick it to the underside of the Apple skin (before taking the backing off) then cut around the 10 skin using it as a template.
Hey Bear- I had the same thought actually! I did contact them though and they said that they are not able to cut the apple logo into the mini 9/10 skins because they'd have to create a new cutting die to do so. I did however just get the macbook skin in the mail and will be applying it soon. I have created a photoshop template image that matches the cut of the regular mini 9 skin. I'm going to overlay this template on the skin and cut it out with an exacto knife and straight edge.

Right now I'm just waiting for the color 3M material to arrive in the mail so that I can apply that underneath first. I did get an orange piece of reflective 3M material that is really nice looking (you can see that here: 3M Scotchlite ORANGE Safety Reflector Reflective 3"x9":eBay Motors (item 170384510078 end time Oct-18-09 03:13:52 PDT) ), but have decided against using it. It is definitely bold, but the orange is a little too bold for my tastes (if someone wants this orange piece let me know and I'd be happy to send it to them for the price of an envelope and stamp). Instead I ordered a reflective white/silver colored 3M scrap piece which should look really nice (you can see it here: 3M Silver/White Reflective Sheeting Tape 4" x ???? - eBay (item 280411522816 end time Nov-16-09 18:34:15 PST) ). I expect that I'll have all of my materials in hand this week and will perform and take photos of the install. I will keep you posted as to how it turns out.

Cheers,
Stephen
  (#146) Old

Thumbs up 10-19-2009, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonatacreative View Post
Hey Bear- I had the same thought actually! I did contact them though and they said that they are not able to cut the apple logo into the mini 9/10 skins because they'd have to create a new cutting die to do so. I did however just get the macbook skin in the mail and will be applying it soon. I have created a photoshop template image that matches the cut of the regular mini 9 skin. I'm going to overlay this template on the skin and cut it out with an exacto knife and straight edge.

Right now I'm just waiting for the color 3M material to arrive in the mail so that I can apply that underneath first. I did get an orange piece of reflective 3M material that is really nice looking (you can see that here: 3M Scotchlite ORANGE Safety Reflector Reflective 3"x9":eBay Motors (item 170384510078 end time Oct-18-09 03:13:52 PDT) ), but have decided against using it. It is definitely bold, but the orange is a little too bold for my tastes (if someone wants this orange piece let me know and I'd be happy to send it to them for the price of an envelope and stamp). Instead I ordered a reflective white/silver colored 3M scrap piece which should look really nice (you can see it here: 3M Silver/White Reflective Sheeting Tape 4" x ???? - eBay (item 280411522816 end time Nov-16-09 18:34:15 PST) ). I expect that I'll have all of my materials in hand this week and will perform and take photos of the install. I will keep you posted as to how it turns out.
Hey man...thanks for the info! I like the way you think....I absolutely agree that the silver/white is perfect for it. You have to keep me posted on the results. I have to admit that I am jealous right now ...that's going to be the perfect skin Mod. Great job thinking outside of the box

www.suckerpunchent.com
  (#147) Old

Default 10-20-2009, 04:58 PM

Okay, so I have some results to post. First things first, I decided to go ahead and try it with the 3M orange stock that I already have in stock (still waiting on the white/silver stuff to come in). I did this because I believe this process is entirely reversible. Due to the nature of the SGP skin, it can be unstuck and reapplied easily- once the white/silver material comes in I may reapply the skin and pull up the orange material. Also- I just received my Mobile Edge Mini Messenger bag which is black with orange trim, so I thought having the Mini 9 match it's color scheme could be really cool. Here's some images of how this turned out followed by some comments on what I've learned thus far...

First off, initial impressions: This looks and feels VERY cool! Short of cutting the logo into the panel of the Mini, this is the best looking alternative I have come across. The logo appears to actually recess into the skin which gives a very Mac-like feel. The 3M reflective material that I used worked better than I had planned, especially when combined with the flat matte SGP skin. It reflects the light extremely well while the rest of the the skin doesn't reflect at all. Because its laser cut into the skin, there's no rough edges which is awesome. One caveat- be careful when you apply the 3M material! Unlike the SGP skin this cannot be reapplied over and over again- in fact, you'll most likely ruin it if you try to pull it back up and put it back down.

Now the drawbacks... sadly with any first edition there will be things that are lacking. I only have two main drawbacks...

1) I cut a circle out of the orange 3M reflective material and applied this first, then applied the SGP skin over the top of it. Because the 3M material does not cover the entire computer, there is a visible 'bump' circle around the apple symbol. When you are looking at this straight on in full light its noticeable, but when you are looking at it at an angle or in dispersed lighting you'd barely notice. This is still frustrating to me though as I wanted something near-perfect. When I get the white 3M material I'm going to try reapplying the skin and am thinking of cutting down the 3M material while it is on the Mini so that it closely hugs the logo rather than bulging all around it. There is some risk involved with this as too much cutting pressure risks marking the actual mini cover. Another alternative would be to paint the Mini's cover first before applying the SGP skin- this would eliminate the bulge that I am getting from this. I'd think a spraypaint would work really well- though it wouldn't have the reflective quality of the 3M material... choice is up to you on this.

2) Because this was originally a MacBook skin, I had to essentially cut this down to fit the Mini 9 with an exacto knife. Needless to say, despite my most careful efforts, I cannot compete with the cleanness and exact nature of a laser cut skin that was meant for the Mini 9. That being said, I can live with what I've got- its very close, and the only areas that are really lacking are the edge strips... I have some excess material from the rest of the skin so I may try recutting these as well. Overall this isn't a huge drawback, you just need to spend the time cutting and measuring the skin for your machine.

Overall... I'm pretty happy with this. My wife (who is an EXTREMELY detailed person) did notice the shortcomings I listed above right away. That being said, she's not the normal eye- she really scrutinizes things to the utmost degree, so I can always rely on her to find the weak points (this is a blessing and a curse I suppose- ha ha!) In my opinion this could potentially be a perfect solution if you can figure out how to avoid the bulge that comes from stacking materials.

Hope this helped provide some insight!

Cheers,
Stephen
  (#148) Old

Default 10-20-2009, 08:55 PM

Very nice indeed.. & the colours match quite well in the photos

Dell Mini 10v | N270 | A04 | 2GB RAM | 160GB | Mac OS 10.6.6 | Bluetooth | Usb Legacy OFF
DropBox Referral
  (#149) Old

Default 10-20-2009, 10:18 PM

Very nice, sonata!

Maybe I misread your critique post, but why not put a coat of the reflective material over the whole cover and then cover that with the leather-look? It would help smooth out the texture in the dell logo, as well as removing the circle bump your original try created.
  (#150) Old

Default 10-20-2009, 11:18 PM

Thanks guys- thus far I've only been able to find this material in widths as large as 4". This is what prevents me from cover the entire machine with it before applying the skin. Also- the reflective material is tricky to work with and easy to mess up. It traps bubbles like nobody's business and wrecks itself if you try to pull it up and reapply. I guess my biggest concern would be to get the reflective material to go on correctly without problems occurring during installation.

I'll keep you posted as I learn more through trail and error.

PS- Hotrod, this is a Mini 9 so I dont have the issue with the dell logo recessing- its flat on the Mini 9. The circle bump is something I definitely would like to get rid of though if at all possible.

Cheers,
Stephen

Tags
dell, laptop, skins

« Nice Sleeves for Mini 9/a90's on Sale for $1.00 | Solar Powered Mini 9? »