External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#1) Old

Question How about a Nvidia ION mini pci-e card? - 11-20-2009, 12:16 PM

Well i seen this Broadcom HD accelerator mini pci-e card, and i got to thinking, "well if they can do this why the heck can't Nvidia make a ION mini pci-e card". Really would not be hard and it could go in most if not all netbooks.

Granted you would have to remove the wireless card that is in the dell's but hell you can just go buy a usb wireless card. I would definantly ditch it for a graphics upgrade for my lil mini.
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to mechdrew
Default 11-21-2009, 03:37 AM

ION is actually a combination motherboard/GPU solution, I think what you're aiming for is the GPU only. There are a few problems with this idea. First of all, there have actually been attempts to create an expansion card solution for laptops before, and even a small number are manufactured today, but these cards cannot drive the internal display of the laptop, only an external display, so there's no advantage. Second, some miniPCIe slots aren't fully wired, meaning that not all the pins match up like they should, or have been repurposed; just look at the Mini 9's SSD slot, it's a miniPCIe connector but with PATA lines instead. Power would also be an issue, since it would not be an integrated device and would suck even more juice from our small batteries.

Oh, and I'm moving this to the peripherals board, it isn't really about gaming.

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | XP Home | Windows 7 Home | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: ON | USB Wake: ON | BT: None | NBI 0.8.3 Final
http://osx.mechdrew.com - News and Guides for Installing Mac OS X via NetbookInstaller - Now on Twitter

« New External DVD won't boot | Gear Bags/Backpacks -Share what works for you »